• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#5) Rangers at Pittsburgh Penguins // Jack Johnson Revenge Game #2

LindG1000

I think the team has looked FINE the last 2 games. They’ve gotten chances and haven’t finished - that happens to everyone, especially young teams,

2) shesterkin hasn’t solidified himself as a starter

Agree.

And the rangers are not changing the coach. They’re not a top 4 team in the division and they know that. Their expectations are not playoffs.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The team looks absolutely lost. Still the same story. Veterans are nowhere to be seen.

Well you dont name a captain... Probably becusse you don't actually HAVE a captain... You don't look to get a. Captain.... So you are left with what? An in experienced team that can't figure things out......

Agree.

And the rangers are not changing the coach. They’re not a top 4 team in the division and they know that. Their expectations are not playoffs.

The coach is supposed to get maximum effort and production from the roster. We're not talking about having to make the playoffs. We're talking about what's going on with the veterans who are supposed to be leading this team. They got rid of Tortorella, who had a much more successful coaching pedigree

Well you dont name a captain... Probably becusse you don't actually HAVE a captain... You don't look to get a. Captain.... So you are left with what? An in experienced team that can't figure things out......

I just don't get why it always feels like this team needs an intervention. Maybe the veterans being off just exacerbates the issue, but it's concerning that leadership is incapable of stepping up and setting any kind of tone. Any type of energy feels individual. What good is it if only a couple of guys are jazzed? Zib and Kreider have shown hustle at various points but the results are largely non-plays. It's effort that results in nothing. I expect more from would-be captains.

I will say that this is the first game that made me a little concerned about Lafreniere. I'm not worried that he won't play to his talent but he needs to show some more jump. It feels like he's coasting a little too much and just going with the motions. He needs to have more of a nose for loose pucks. He let a couple go by him by either not paying attention or by being blase.

• Like 1

I just don't get why it always feels like this team needs an intervention. Maybe the veterans being off just exacerbates the issue, but it's concerning that leadership is incapable of stepping up and setting any kind of tone. Any type of energy feels individual. What good is it if only a couple of guys are jazzed? Zib and Kreider have shown hustle at various points but the results are largely non-plays. It's effort that results in nothing. I expect more from would-be captains.

I will say that this is the first game that made me a little concerned about Lafreniere. I'm not worried that he won't play to his talent but he needs to show some more jump. It feels like he's coasting a little too much and just going with the motions. He needs to have more of a nose for loose pucks. He let a couple go by him by either not paying attention or by being blas?.

In the past, with many younger teams, there was a mix of energy + guys who showed from prior WINNING experience the path less taken for how to actually get it done. You need that guy after a bad shift to turn to and say “I got this” even if there wasn’t an immediate response. Just someone to calm the ship or take the reigns. We have no one? I mean who is that guy stepping in here? Shesh let’s up a bad goal. It is what it is. Who stepped up there? We run around like a decapitated chicken.

I’m sorry. Again. We should be much further along than we are. This is a stacked talented team. We make it easy to play against.

In the past, with many younger teams, there was a mix of energy + guys who showed from prior WINNING experience the path less taken for how to actually get it done. You need that guy after a bad shift to turn to and say “I got this” even if there wasn’t an immediate response. Just someone to calm the ship or take the reigns. We have no one? I mean who is that guy stepping in here? Shesh let’s up a bad goal. It is what it is. Who stepped up there? We run around like a decapitated chicken.

I’m sorry. Again. We should be much further along than we are. This is a stacked talented team. We make it easy to play against.

Yeah thinking we'll need a Marleau at some point, but not sure that's the issue.

Agreed. Sure you could say that they were "in it" in these last few games but they've hardly been well played. It doesn't say much when you're "outplaying" and then losing to bad teams. This team was expected to struggle and struggling they are. More than they need to.

Agreed. Sure you could say that they were "in it" in these last few games but they've hardly been well played. It doesn't say much when you're "outplaying" and then losing to bad teams. This team was expected to struggle and struggling they are. More than they need to.

At some point you take off the kid gloves and stop with it being “a process.” We have guys that are in or approaching a prime in Panarin, Ziby, Strome, Kreids. These aren’t fringe guys approaching their primes. They are impact players. Fine, they are underperforming. It’s not Quinn’s speciality....he’s about young guys. Okay Kakko lights out? No. ALF lights out? No. Howden ? No (not the same but still a prospect..)

We should be much further along at this point.

Agree.

And the rangers are not changing the coach. They?re not a top 4 team in the division and they know that. Their expectations are not playoffs.

At some point you take off the kid gloves and stop with it being ?a process.? We have guys that are in or approaching a prime in Panarin, Ziby, Strome, Kreids. These aren?t fringe guys approaching their primes. They are impact players. Fine, they are underperforming. It?s not Quinn?s speciality....he?s about young guys. Okay Kakko lights out? No. ALF lights out? No. Howden ? No (not the same but still a prospect..)

Agree, coach sucks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

At some point you take off the kid gloves and stop with it being “a process.” We have guys that are in or approaching a prime in Panarin, Ziby, Strome, Kreids. These aren’t fringe guys approaching their primes. They are impact players. Fine, they are underperforming. It’s not Quinn’s speciality....he’s about young guys. Okay Kakko lights out? No. ALF lights out? No. Howden ? No (not the same but still a prospect..)

I agree. This should be a season where Quinn gets more criticism and evaluation. No more free rides. The talent is here to be competitive.

DVR game for me and I?m gutted by that last-minute goal. Miller is going to make us proud - damn he?s looking legit. Fox on the money too. Zib played strong but no puck luck. Panarin?s timing is still off. Kreider absent. Shesty not lights out, in fact leaving the (red) light on too often.

I saw a competitive game, again, that should have been won.

Wow, where is that goalie we saw last year, who swallowed up rebounds, flashed an incredibly fast glove, and handled the puck better than some of our defensemen?

Agree that we should be further along, given that it is three years since the letter and we had a major star bestowed on us simply for being New York.

Outchancing opposition but still finding a way to lose: the hallmark of a bad team.

Ok. Too soon to panic, but with a shortened season, in a few more games it will be time to.

I've been saying since Quinn got here, there's no identity on this team. I don't mind his meritocracy, that's good for accountability for young players, but this team is confused more often than not.

Also agree on lack of leadership, great that Trouba says the right things between games, but who's saying what needs to be said between periods? Who's putting the team on their back? Used to be Zib. Not so far this season.

That said, I find this to be an odd game to complain about the coach or lack of leadership. The Rangers controlled most of that game and lost on 3 stoppable shots that should not have went in. I know Rangers fans like to repeat themselves, and it's sacrilege to say anything negative about a young player (especially Igor), but they lost because of goaltending last night, and he certainly didn't help them in the game before.

Also, I doubt Quinn coached Kreider to trip over his own 2 feet and miss a backhand into a wide open net...

We need to keep in mind how stupidly young this team is. Yes, we have two exceptional players in their primes w/Zib and Panarin, but the rest of the lineup can count their pubes on two hands. Doubly so when you go down the line of the mission-critical players for the long-term success of this franchise. Kakko and Lafreniere are just 19. Chytil and Miller just turned 21. Shesterkin is still adjusting to the NHL. Adam Fox is the exception to the rule right now, and goddamn, he seems to be beyond special.

We should expect some level of inconsistency - perhaps almost maddening inconsistency at times. We're seeing that - we did not play excellent hockey against Pittsburgh by any stretch, but we absolutely deserved better than 1 point from those games. What's upsetting is that the inconsistency is coming from players who should not be inconsistent. We should expect better from Kreider, Zib, Trouba, Strome, and to an extent Panarin. What's worse is that when you have half your top 6 playing with that kind of inconsistency, you're going to have a domino effect down the lineup with matchups - doubly so on the road.

We need to keep in mind how stupidly young this team is. Yes, we have two exceptional players in their primes w/Zib and Panarin, but the rest of the lineup can count their pubes on two hands. Doubly so when you go down the line of the mission-critical players for the long-term success of this franchise. Kakko and Lafreniere are just 19. Chytil and Miller just turned 21. Shesterkin is still adjusting to the NHL. Adam Fox is the exception to the rule right now, and goddamn, he seems to be beyond special.

We should expect some level of inconsistency - perhaps almost maddening inconsistency at times. We're seeing that - we did not play excellent hockey against Pittsburgh by any stretch, but we absolutely deserved better than 1 point from those games. What's upsetting is that the inconsistency is coming from players who should not be inconsistent. We should expect better from Kreider, Zib, Trouba, Strome, and to an extent Panarin. What's worse is that when you have half your top 6 playing with that kind of inconsistency, you're going to have a domino effect down the lineup with matchups - doubly so on the road.

Exactly, half this team would not be out of college yet. Let them play, let them mess up, and enjoy it because clearly the talent is there and they need to just learn, learn, learn. Which means losing, so we're clear.

Youth is not an excuse for what's happening right now. Some people didn't even expect Miller to make the team, he's been their second best defenseman.

Kakko and Lafreniere (especially) were advertised to be able to step in and contribute immediately. Kakko is still struggling with foot speed and Lafreniere has hovered between invisible and completely disengaged.

Obviously they're not busts, but neither one of them are living up to the hype.

a few more performances like this and it will be getting late early.

Goaltending needs to be better. top guys need to get going. All of a sudden the blueline with miller and fox seems to be in better hands. holding cros and company to 19 shots is not bad.

Jury is way the hell out on Quinn. Not impressed at all with him.