• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#2) Rangers vs. New York Islanders // Let's Try That Again

Drew a Penalty

Do we know for sure that ADA is being scratched? If so, far too rash and smacks of scapegoating after a game in which many were terrible.

Perhaps tonight we can do a better job of taking advantage of the home sound effects advantage.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So he?s getting benched because in 2018 he took a crappy penalty or because he?s just the guy Quinn decided was the only one that didn?t show up? Zibanejad took two penalties. He getting benched? Trouba let Lee literally score a back breaking goal and get out muscled. He getting benched? Have we never seen that all last year? Jack Johnson took a penalty like a minute and a half into his Ranger career?

You get the point. I know I said I didn?t have a problem with Quinn?s handling during the game of ADA but to bench the teams best offensive defenseman a game into thr season is just asinine. Absolutely asinine. The whole team bombed. Not ADA specifically.

Again, Quinn said he's sitting because he took a selfish penalty, this happens every year since he's been here.

I don't know why we're trying to make ADA the victim here when he's doing this to himself. when you make the same mistakes over and over and over again, it's going to leave you in the press box.

To be clear, he's not getting benched because he took a penalty, he's getting benched because of repeated immature behavior.

So he’s getting benched because in 2018 he took a crappy penalty or because he’s just the guy Quinn decided was the only one that didn’t show up? Zibanejad took two penalties. He getting benched? Trouba let Lee literally score a back breaking goal and get out muscled. He getting benched? Have we never seen that all last year? Jack Johnson took a penalty like a minute and a half into his Ranger career?

You get the point. I know I said I didn’t have a problem with Quinn’s handling during the game of ADA but to bench the teams best offensive defenseman a game into thr season is just asinine. Absolutely asinine. The whole team bombed. Not ADA specifically.

Any chance this is political? DeAngelo was the least of the teams problem and was the only player showing ANY sort of fire/concern about the game.

Bench the guy who plays with emotion??? Wtf is this?

Honestly, the incessant fucking around with lines and pairings and benching guys all over the shop is really getting on my tits. And we’re only one game in lol. I’ve never seen a coach do this to that extent in the pros.

He’s obviously making a point with AdA here, but I agree that if mouthing off to the refs and slamming the door was all it took it seems a bit short sighted.

• Like 1

Honestly, the incessant fucking around with lines and pairings and benching guys all over the shop is really getting on my tits. And we’re only one game in lol. I’ve never seen a coach do this to that extent in the pros.

He’s obviously making a point with AdA here, but I agree that if mouthing off to the refs and slamming the door was all it took it seems a bit short sighted.

And whats with the Di Giuseppe fascination? Guy was drafted 8 years ago and had been dwindling as an AHLer for the last 3 years, but he's getting in on the starting lineup and ahead of Gauthier.

Why do the Rangers have this love for garbage players like this. This is Hrivik 2.0. Either play a kid or sign/claim a veteran to play in this spot. Not this fuckin schmoe. You're doing it with Jack Johnson... Why not with forwards, where you are severely lacking potential and depth. The Rangers have younger and better options on their taxi squad than Johnson, but here he is..

Di Giuseppe should be a guy used when there's no other option. Barron should be in there instead of not playing at all. That or someone with a little snarl, so that emotions can be taken out on the ice and not on penalty box doors, which apparently is the biggest no no. I mean who gives a shit about non effort and weak play. That can slide. BUT DONT YOU FUCKIN DARE slam the penalty box door.

Again, Quinn said he's sitting because he took a selfish penalty, this happens every year since he's been here.

I don't know why we're trying to make ADA the victim here when he's doing this to himself. when you make the same mistakes over and over and over again, it's going to leave you in the press box.

To be clear, he's not getting benched because he took a penalty, he's getting benched because of repeated immature behavior.

It's not about making him the victim but in the time he's been here, I've seen Kreider take stupid damn penalties constantly with impunity and he's now an, "alternate", captain. I've watched Trouba all last year making stupid effin plays that he repeated game one again this year with impunity. And again, it's asinine to bench a guy after game 1 when the entire team played like dog shit and ADA didn't stand out unless you are intentionally looking for him to stand out.

How many lazy penalties does Strome take each year? When was he ever benched? To me it seems like there are two sets of rules. If this is a few games into a season with multiple occasions, so be it. It's game 1 of the freaking year and if u are going to take prior seasons into account day, 1, thrn half the team shouldn't play tonight.

Any chance this is political? DeAngelo was the least of the teams problem and was the only player showing ANY sort of fire/concern about the game.

Bench the guy who plays with emotion??? Wtf is this?

Well it's clear to me at least he not inviting ADA over for dinner any time soon. Benched one game into a season lol. I can probably count on one hand how often I've seen that before and that's if my hand had a chainsaw accident first

And whats with the Di Giuseppe fascination? Guy was drafted 8 years ago and had been dwindling as an AHLer for the last 3 years, but he's getting in on the starting lineup and ahead of Gauthier.

Why do the Rangers have this love for garbage players like this. This is Hrivik 2.0. Either play a kid or sign/claim a veteran to play in this spot. Not this fuckin schmoe. You're doing it with Jack Johnson... Why not with forwards, where you are severely lacking potential and depth. The Rangers have younger and better options on their taxi squad than Johnson, but here he is..

Di Giuseppe should be a guy used when there's no other option. Barron should be in there instead of not playing at all. That or someone with a little snarl, so that emotions can be taken out on the ice and not on penalty box doors, which apparently is the biggest no no. I mean who gives a shit about non effort and weak play. That can slide. BUT DONT YOU FUCKIN DARE slam the penalty box door.

Pretty clear Johnson is cooked and this was a bad signing. Several times he gained the puck in the D zone to make a weak lazy pass that quickly became a turnover. Miller had no business being with Trouba at all. May very well be a good player in the future but he's not playing 55 more games and a seat upstairs in Game #2 would not be a big deal. Tony D gets a seat because he showed some emotion that usually doesn't get called at all. Objectively that makes no sense whatsoever.

Also singling out Kakko when the entirety of the forwards did open skate night seems unfair.

Again small sample; but this was a continuation of the Canes playoff series; if you can get the NYR off their passing game and keep them to the outside, there's no Plan B. Opponents will have an easy night. Why is it what ever Quinn is telling these guys is not getting through? 3 shots in the 3rd period is not giving a f___.

3 playoff spots in their division are probably locked up; the Isles, the Caps and the Flyers. Got 55 games to get 60+ points or forget the playoffs. Benching your best offensive defenseman for that over the other more deserving potential candidates to take a seat is really dumb.

Edit; seriously doubt it has anything to do with politics. Professional sports do not work like that. Looks much more like panic.

Anybody know if Panarin is going to play after missing the last 4 they played?

As for D'Angelo, Quinn sees a pattern he doesn't like I would bet it extends to practice etc., rather than a single door slam. His effort on Barzal's goal was brutal as well. If nothing else step up and level him even if it's a split second after he gets the shot off. He's supposed to be one of the tougher guys on the team right? Plays with an edge.

Can't sit them all but in the coaches eyes you gotta start somewhere. I'm not convinced Quinn is the answer but for now he's the only one we have.

It's not about making him the victim but in the time he's been here, I've seen Kreider take stupid damn penalties constantly with impunity and he's now an, "alternate", captain. I've watched Trouba all last year making stupid effin plays that he repeated game one again this year with impunity. And again, it's asinine to bench a guy after game 1 when the entire team played like dog shit and ADA didn't stand out unless you are intentionally looking for him to stand out.

How many lazy penalties does Strome take each year? When was he ever benched? To me it seems like there are two sets of rules. If this is a few games into a season with multiple occasions, so be it. It's game 1 of the freaking year and if u are going to take prior seasons into account day, 1, thrn half the team shouldn't play tonight.

There's a difference between a stupid penalty and a selfish one.

There's a difference between a stupid penalty and a selfish one.

With a compressed schedule, make that point in practice. This smacks of a college coach, not a professional. And even there, Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney might bench his star for an infraction against some weak sister, but not in the conference championship. May be at BU, he could do that when they played a D2 team, not at the Beanpot. There are no D2 teams here. There are no weak sisters in the 55 games left. One stupid weak moment is a problem, but nowhere near as big a problem as a team that was a noncombatant Thursday night.

With a compressed schedule, make that point in practice. This smacks of a college coach, not a professional. And even there, Nick Saban or Dabo Swinney might bench his star for an infraction against some weak sister, but not in the conference championship. May be at BU, he could do that when they played a D2 team, not at the Beanpot. There are no D2 teams here. There are no weak sisters in the 55 games left. One stupid weak moment is a problem, but nowhere near as big a problem as a team that was a noncombatant Thursday night.
They're making the point everywhere, ADA isn't getting it. Not really understanding why fans are giving him a pass, he's the one who took the penalty. You don't blame the judge for the sentence, you blame the convict for committing the crime.

I heard on a podcast (forgot which one) that they were fining ADA all last season for outbursts. It was a running banter between him and Gorton... Gorton would say you're going to owe me a lot of money by the end of the season, and ADA would say not as much as you're going to owe me lol.

Whatever they were doing internally wasn't working as we saw him continue his immature behavior on the first game of the season.

He's no victim here. He's doing it to himself.

They're making the point everywhere, ADA isn't getting it. Not really understanding why fans are giving him a pass, he's the one who took the penalty. You don't blame the judge for the sentence, you blame the convict for committing the crime.

I heard on a podcast (forgot which one) that they were fining ADA all last season for outbursts. It was a running banter between him and Gorton... Gorton would say you're going to owe me a lot of money by the end of the season, and ADA would say not as much as you're going to owe me lol.

Whatever they were doing internally wasn't working as we saw him continue his immature behavior on the first game of the season.

Well again, we r spinning wheels are day, but either he's benched for the penalty or not. A lot of lazy penalties taken a couple days ago,, not just by ADA.

If we take another too many men penalty tonight r we benching Quinn for his immaturity of a Coach? Lol

Well again, we r spinning wheels are day, but either he's benched for the penalty or not. A lot of lazy penalties taken a couple days ago,, not just by ADA.

If we take another too many men penalty tonight r we benching Quinn for his immaturity of a Coach? Lol

He's being benched for 3 years of the same behavior.

They're making the point that a dumb penalty that, while not good, was a nonfactor late in the game is a bigger problem than a team that was noncompetitive across the board for 3 periods(though have heard some claim they were kinda okay in the 2nd, if they allow the Trouba goal, still have NO IDEA how the whistle doesn't matter and then later it does, but I digress). And if your choice in making that point about that bigger problem is a. benching ADA who loses his shit late in the game vs. b. benching Jack Johnson who is not today an NHL defenseman and should never have been signed in the first place, that should not be a decision.

He's being benched for 3 years of the same behavior.

Yeah sure lol

Kreiders last two years of penalties

18/19 - 57

19/20 - 58

Strome last two years

18/19- 50

19/20 48

Deangelo last two years

18/19 - 77

19/20 47

So it seems to me one player has been learning under Quinn while there are two right there that take bonehead penalties as well with a hell of a long leash. At least ADA is in the top echelon of the league in an offensive category lol

They're making the point that a dumb penalty that, while not good, was a nonfactor late in the game is a bigger problem than a team that was noncompetitive across the board for 3 periods(though have heard some claim they were kinda okay in the 2nd, if they allow the Trouba goal, still have NO IDEA how the whistle doesn't matter and then later it does, but I digress). And if your choice in making that point about that bigger problem is a. benching ADA who loses his shit late in the game vs. b. benching Jack Johnson who is not today an NHL defenseman and should never have been signed in the first place, that should not be a decision.
One more time for the folks in the back who might not be able to hear... It's not one penalty in one game... It's a pattern of this type of behavior.

Yeah sure lol

Kreiders last two years of penalties

18/19 - 57

19/20 - 58

Strome last two years

18/19- 50

19/20 48

Deangelo last two years

18/19 - 77

19/20 47

So it seems to me one player has been learning under Quinn while there are two right there that take bonehead penalties as well with a hell of a long leash. At least ADA is in the top echelon of the league in an offensive category lol

Which of those penalties for Strome or Kreider are unsportsmanlike conduct?

I don't know how much longer I can keep repeating it's his attitude, not the fact that he spent 2 minutes in the box. He's a selfish player.

at this point you're either intentionally ignoring that, or you just don't get it, but either way I can't keep repeating myself lol.

I don't know how much longer I can keep repeating it's his attitude, not the fact that he spent 2 minutes in the box. He's a selfish player.

at this point you're either intentionally ignoring that, or you just don't get it, but either way I can't keep repeating myself lol.

Guy dropped his penalties by almost half. That's a pretty clear metric that he took Quinn and Gorton's direction to heart.

We just disagree. And come on dude, we have both seen those other two players to know a good 5-6 times per season, they are going to take absolutely rediculois penalties, especially Kreider. As for the misconduct, we can agree to disagree. He sat ADA after that in the game. There was no reason to bench him now when we haven’t even scored a goal yet.

I do not agree at all that he’s a selfish player. He’s tried moving sides with no gripes. He played on a one year show me contract and still after putting up top 5 points in the LEAGUE settled out of arbitration. Like I said, it’s game 1 of the season and alienating him is not “good for the cause.” Whole team sucked. You bury it and move on. You don’t make a scapegoat because Quinn as a coach has no clue how to get to the next level yet.. That’s shitty coaching