• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

On what should Quinn be judged? Talent has been added to the team every year but the results are the same...no playoffs, no progress. Is next year the make or break year for Quinn?

It's a short weird season anyway, and probably has to be judged as a whole at its conclusion unless the wheels completely come off. If I'm Quinn's boss, I'm asking if he has a workable plan and if he is sticking to it. If it isn't one I like I'm making him justify it. Is he communicating clearly and effectively (and often) with the kids to convey what they need to do to level up their game. Is team morale good? Is team conditioning good?

As for results, are they better than they were when they began the season? Do the structures work? Are they starting to gel and showing mo/betta flashes of the advertised talent? Are they more confident? Do they believe in themselves both as individuals and teammates? Are they starting to believe that they can beat anybody?

In game, I think the readiness of a team to play a 1st period is fair game, as is counter-productive shuffling of lines and bench penalties - from the outside. But most of the stuff, really the only guys qualified to judge are the ones who employ him, not ones sitting on the couch getting their info from Sam Rosen and Larry Brooks. The assumptions about team mentality heard here during the Knoblauch reign were hilarious in their basis of zero actual information. I mean, pretty much nobody here knows shit about how the room is actually working. That's not as as much of a dig as it sounds. It's just the deal.

But, like I said, the conversation passes the time as they get better.

• Like 1

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On what should Quinn be judged? Talent has been added to the team every year but the results are the same...no playoffs, no progress. Is next year the make or break year for Quinn?
Because there's not "no progress". Again, this is a simple case of Quinn not getting any credit for anything good but getting all the blame for anything that's not good.

Zib

Strome

Buch

Chytil

Kakko

Blackwell

ADA (RIP)

Fox

Lindgren

Hajek

Have all got better in the time that Quinn has been here. That's not to mention the defensive improvement that Martin gets all the credit for, which makes sense.

Point being, if it's Zib doesn't get covid and acts like a #1C, and the goaltending doesn't fall flat right out of the gate...we're probably not having a conversation about Quinn getting fired.

Also note, playing long stretches without Panarin, Chytil, and ADA playing his way off the team.

Because there's not "no progress". Again, this is a simple case of Quinn not getting any credit for anything good but getting all the blame for anything that's not good.

Zib

Strome

Buch

Chytil

Kakko

Blackwell

ADA (RIP)

Fox

Lindgren

Hajek

Have all got better in the time that Quinn has been here. That's not to mention the defensive improvement that Martin gets all the credit for, which makes sense.

Point being, if it's Zib doesn't get covid and acts like a #1C, and the goaltending doesn't fall flat right out of the gate...we're probably not having a conversation about Quinn getting fired.

Also note, playing long stretches without Panarin, Chytil, and ADA playing his way off the team.

Had occasion recently to see a client who for a time did security work for NYR, and still has some contacts with the team. Also heard a bit back much the same thing from a different friend who has different contacts with the team. No great secret; ADA was insubordinate to Quinn and all the coaches. It was well beyond simply occasional loud feedback; it was constant. It was on the bench, in games, at practice. The guy would not shut the fuck up. He was warned repeatedly, in ways great and small, by pretty much everyone in the organization. And he kept going. It has nothing to do with politics, since some of the people involved may even hold similar views to ADA, if they do so on their own time and not on twitter. It's a shame that for all his talent, ADA is incapable of keeping his mouth shut. Ada was also told by everyone that for the Rangers and ADA, ADA having a good season was in everyone's best interests, especially with him soon looking to get a big free agent contract.

Had occasion recently to see a client who for a time did security work for NYR, and still has some contacts with the team. Also heard a bit back much the same thing from a different friend who has different contacts with the team. No great secret; ADA was insubordinate to Quinn and all the coaches. It was well beyond simply occasional loud feedback; it was constant. It was on the bench, in games, at practice. The guy would not shut the fuck up. He was warned repeatedly, in ways great and small, by pretty much everyone in the organization. And he kept going. It has nothing to do with politics, since some of the people involved may even hold similar views to ADA, if they do so on their own time and not on twitter. It's a shame that for all his talent, ADA is incapable of keeping his mouth shut. Ada was also told by everyone that for the Rangers and ADA, ADA having a good season was in everyone's best interests, especially with him soon looking to get a big free agent contract.

must be the biggest idiot in hockey

It's a short weird season anyway, and probably has to be judged as a whole at its conclusion unless the wheels completely come off. If I'm Quinn's boss, I'm asking if he has a workable plan and if he is sticking to it. If it isn't one I like I'm making him justify it. Is he communicating clearly and effectively (and often) with the kids to convey what they need to do to level up their game. Is team morale good? Is team conditioning good?

what is the plan? it has to be making the playoffs. We have couple of superstars and a decent core with rookies sprinkled here and there, why is the result every year the same? When is this team making the playoffs?

As for results, are they better than they were when they began the season? Do the structures work? Are they starting to gel and showing mo/betta flashes of the advertised talent? Are they more confident? Do they believe in themselves both as individuals and teammates? Are they starting to believe that they can beat anybody?

better question is are they better than last year?

In game, I think the readiness of a team to play a 1st period is fair game, as is counter-productive shuffling of lines and bench penalties - from the outside. But most of the stuff, really the only guys qualified to judge are the ones who employ him, not ones sitting on the couch getting their info from Sam Rosen and Larry Brooks. The assumptions about team mentality heard here during the Knoblauch reign were hilarious in their basis of zero actual information. I mean, pretty much nobody here knows shit about how the room is actually working. That's not as as much of a dig as it sounds. It's just the deal.

But, like I said, the conversation passes the time as they get better.

that's why we here--to discuss our opinions. Obviously none of us are qualified. Most of us on this board get our info from watching every game, not from Rosen or Brooks or whomever else

what is the plan? it has to be making the playoffs. We have couple of superstars and a decent core with rookies sprinkled here and there, why is the result every year the same? When is this team making the playoffs?

better question is are they better than last year?

that's why we here--to discuss our opinions. Obviously none of us are qualified. Most of us on this board get our info from watching every game, not from Rosen or Brooks or whomever else

You honestly thought this year's goal was a playoff push with our defense? Especially considering K'Andre Miller was supposed to be in Hartford? This year was about taking another step, and being competitive. The end goal is to create a roster that can compete every year. We're still a few pieces, and a lot of consistency in effort level and systems, away from that.

Zib

Strome

Buch

Chytil

Kakko

Blackwell

ADA (RIP)

Fox

Lindgren

Hajek

i was talking about overall team progress, not individual players. In fact, your point makes Quinn look even worse. All these career years and individual efforts but still no playoffs, same as last year and the year before.

We have few of the best players in whole league right now in Fox, Panarin, Zibby, Strome, and Buch. 5 exceptional players and we hardly put a 3 game winning streak together.

You honestly thought this year's goal was a playoff push with our defense? Especially considering K'Andre Miller was supposed to be in Hartford? This year was about taking another step, and being competitive. The end goal is to create a roster that can compete every year. We're still a few pieces, and a lot of consistency in effort level and systems, away from that.

is Miller the only rookie in the league? how long do i have to wait until we make playoffs? another 2 years, 3 years? We have two lines that are as good, if not better than any other line in the league. We have the highest scoring defenseman in the league. Why is there an excuse that Miller is somehow holding us back?

what? is that what you guys used to do back in the 1950s?

70's, but yeah...close enough!! ;)

Hey man, it's not easy getting old! Let's just say that if I bought my body at Macy's, I would've saved the receipt!!!! LOL

• Like 1

is Miller the only rookie in the league? how long do i have to wait until we make playoffs? another 2 years, 3 years? We have two lines that are as good, if not better than any other line in the league. We have the highest scoring defenseman in the league. Why is there an excuse that Miller is somehow holding us back?

I never said Miller was a problem. He’s been a pleasant surprise. If we miss the playoffs next season, then we’re underachieving our potential. I think being strong in the race this year is strong development. Making the playoffs would’ve been a nice plus

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

When they added Boston to our division, it made our chance of making the playoffs considerably steeper. We sniffed at the playoffs last year but were actually on the downslope when they called the season. The fact that we're actually sniffing at the playoffs today and potentially supplanting Philly, even if success is unlikely, is a decent improvement considering all the other crap that this season has had to offer. But the playoffs were always a longshot. Find me another down-to-the-cinderblock teardown and rebuild that made the playoffs in its third year.

I have a more complete answer to your response, but it has led to some research and will take a little longer.

Kinky with the vintage pads looking absolutely fresh

EDIT: I now realize this being "vintage" for me may make the older folks feel odd and may make the younger folks be a bit confused.

EyyVzqmWYAEgrJ_?format=jpg&name=large

He's backup now. Purely because of his pads. Fuck off, Geo.