• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be. But again I highly doubt if JD or Gorton had a huge issue with the way either of the two NHL ready draft picks were being treated that they would continue to allow it to happen. I think the decision making falls on the three of them especially if JD and Gorton had a fraction of the problem some guys here have with the lineup.

What is with the infatuation for Fast? Quinn reasons that Blackwell brings more of a Fast element to that line than Kakko. What? That line has been very good. Besides if we had a team full of Fasts we would be the worst team in the history of the NHL. Face it Fast is the one of the most over rated players to ever wear a Ranger jersey.

I don't know what pisses me off the most here moving Kaako off that line, playing Kravtsov in a spot that has zero chance of success,(we all know he's a scratch Thursday because he will show nothing Tuesday), or scratching Gauthier? Gauthier is the guy that I really think we are going to miss out on here. I get the feeling like he's a deadman walking in this organization and he's going to be a really good player at some point. He brings an element that they lack and a straight forward game that translates in the Spring. To trade him now would be stupid.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how Quinn gets Howden in the lineup? It's got to be killing him. Howden is playing Thursday more than likely for Kravtsov is my prediction.

For your daily dose of salt

#NYR* practice lines feature a few tweaks

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Strome - Blackwell

Laf - Chytil - Kakko

PDG - Rooney - Kravtsov

Howden and Gauthier working in.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Jesus farcking christ..

Alright I think im officially on the fire Quinn bandwagon

Quinn is just not an NHL coach. Plain and simple. We will never go anywhere with him behind the bench. Name one improvement he as a coach has gotten better when u compare mistakes he makes it personal/lines/lineups from year one to today.

Since he’s gotten here he’s been gifted

a Norris candidate in Fox

an all world player top 10 in the league player in Panarin

a first overall pick and a second overall pick in consecutive drafts in ALF and Kakko

a 40 goal two way center in Ziby

a ppg second line center in Strome

a flawed but yet power forward in Kreider

a mercurial but talented offensive d now off the team ADA

a talented young goalie in Shesty

a young talented rookie d in Miller

and a former all star in Trouba.

None of that is good enough to elevate this team apparently. 3 years into his tenure we’ve added every year to this roster and year three we are flirting around the same record within a few of where we were year 1.

On paper the Islanders are not really better than us. Not talent wise at least. I’m sorry but they are not. What they are better on paper is behind the bench. Miles better. A real system that players buy into and they have a real shot of winning a cup. That should make every fan here sick to their stomach. The year before Quinn and Trotz took over both teams were separated by 1 win in the basement of the metro. ONE win. And they got better while losing their franchise Tavares.

Now I’m not saying specifically should implement the same style but holy shit, what a difference it is having a coach that’s knows wtf he is doing.

• Like 1

He could benefit from playing time in the NHL, but we're too busy trying to be competitive against Buffalo and chase a playoff spot (lol) so we have to give the ice time to Blackwell, Rooney, DiGisueppe (and ghost Kreider).

He does play in the NHL and does absolutely nothing with the time allotted to him. I'd agree if Lafreniere at least showed inklings of something more but he hasn't. He gets third line minutes, he's on the second powerplay unit, he gets OT minutes. Not even Kakko has the benefit of the latter two, and he's at least looked visibly better than Lafreniere. More minutes aren't going to suddenly make Laf a better player. That's not how development works. We don't need more of the same from him. It's his game that needs to change. Whatever he's been doing isn't remotely effective at the NHL level.

He does play in the NHL and does absolutely nothing with the time allotted to him. I'd agree if Lafreniere at least showed inklings of something more but he hasn't. He gets third line minutes, he's on the second powerplay unit, he gets OT minutes. Not even Kakko has the benefit of the latter two, and he's at least looked visibly better than Lafreniere. More minutes aren't going to suddenly make Laf a better player. That's not how development works. We don't need more of the same from him. It's his game that needs to change. Whatever he's been doing isn't remotely effective at the NHL level.

Well said Drew.

Well said but if Quinn wants to consistent with his "play the best guys to give us the best chance of winning." Laf is sitting not Gauthier. Laf has yet to sit a game. I'm not calling for that but his whole mantra of how he treats his lineup is an empty suit. The "NHL is not a development league". Ok great. Then be consistent with your ENTIRE roster. That's been the problem from day 1. To be honest it's been a problem since Torts was fired.

He's not on the PP2 and he plays ~10 min per game. Its been Trouba, Miller, Buch, Chyts and Kakko on the 2nd unit for a while now. Even Blackwell is ahead of him in the line.

He has 11 points in 35 games, its not good, but its not useless when you consider he's played most of his minutes as a bottom 6 guy and not came close to any really PP time. He do look a bit lost, but maybe the coaching staff should help him then? Maybe tell him what to do (not just "keep it simple" or "dump and chase"), but actually learn him something. Then you either give him the ice-time to try that or you sit him a couple games and have him watch the games. Not play him for one shift, look for a mistake and then bench him for the rest of the game when he forgets to dump the puck after some D-zone pressure against.

And its the same with all the young guys. Can't expect these guys to dominate the NHL right away. They need time to learn, they need opportunities to try things and fail, they need to find out whats working and whats not working and THIS SEASON is the perfect season for that. We should let these young guys play as much as they want to, but instead we're busy icing PDG and chasing a playoff spot we're never gonna make. Thats just dumb.

Quinn is just not an NHL coach. Plain and simple. We will never go anywhere with him behind the bench. Name one improvement he as a coach has gotten better when u compare mistakes he makes it personal/lines/lineups from year one to today.

Since he’s gotten here he’s been gifted

a Norris candidate in Fox

an all world player top 10 in the league player in Panarin

a first overall pick and a second overall pick in consecutive drafts in ALF and Kakko

a 40 goal two way center in Ziby

a ppg second line center in Strome

a flawed but yet power forward in Kreider

a mercurial but talented offensive d now off the team ADA

a talented young goalie in Shesty

a young talented rookie d in Miller

and a former all star in Trouba.

None of that is good enough to elevate this team apparently. 3 years into his tenure we’ve added every year to this roster and year three we are flirting around the same record within a few of where we were year 1.

On paper the Islanders are not really better than us. Not talent wise at least. I’m sorry but they are not. What they are better on paper is behind the bench. Miles better. A real system that players buy into and they have a real shot of winning a cup. That should make every fan here sick to their stomach. The year before Quinn and Trotz took over both teams were separated by 1 win in the basement of the metro. ONE win. And they got better while losing their franchise Tavares.

Now I’m not saying specifically should implement the same style but holy shit, what a difference it is having a coach that’s knows wtf he is doing.

You can't say he was gifted players who had career years playing for him and not give him any credit at all for them having career years. That's not how this works.

Zib wasn't a 40 goal 2 way center before Quinn got here.

Panarin, Strome, ADA, Kreider and Buch all had career years for Quinn.

We simply don't know what Fox would have been under another coach and Lindgren is more than anyone thought. Miller is doing nicely and Smith is competent again. Hajek is serviceable.

Is it Quinn's fault Kakko sucked last year? No, Quinn did not make Kakko slow and weak. Is it Quinn's fault Lafreniere sucks? I don't know but it ain't like he popped off with Knoblauch behind the bench the way Zib and Fox did.

Can't keep giving Quinn the blame for everything bad and no credit at all for anything good.

And I'll add, I don't even think Quinn is a great coach, and I wish if they fired him that the complaining would stop, but everyone always complains all the time about the coach and thinks that they know better... And I'm pretty sure if Gorton and JD thought he was ruining players, they would do something about it. But they haven't, which makes me think that it's not really possible that Quinn has the GM and two presidents of hockey operations fooled. They're just might be a chance that they think he knows what he's doing, and even if I don't have faith in Gorton, I have faith in JD.

I mean JD said before the season that playoffs were not a mandate, and that pretty much makes me think that he knows the quality of the team he was icing and it wasn't playoff caliber. If you wanted to show a vote of no faith in Quinn, he would have made the playoffs a mandate. If JD didn't expect this team to make the playoffs, I don't know why anybody else should.

You can't say he was gifted players who had career years playing for him and not give him any credit at all for them having career years. That's not how this works.

Zib wasn't a 40 goal 2 way center before Quinn got here.

Panarin, Strome, ADA, Kreider and Buch all had career years for Quinn.

We simply don't know what Fox would have been under another coach and Lindgren is more than anyone thought. Miller is doing nicely and Smith is competent again. Hajek is serviceable.

Is it Quinn's fault Kakko sucked last year? No, Quinn did not make Kakko slow and weak. Is it Quinn's fault Lafreniere sucks? I don't know but it ain't like he popped off with Knoblauch behind the bench the way Zib and Fox did.

Can't keep giving Quinn the blame for everything bad and no credit at all for anything good.

And I'll add, I don't even think Quinn is a great coach, and I wish if they fired him that the complaining would stop, but everyone always complains all the time about the coach and thinks that they know better... And I'm pretty sure if Gorton and JD thought he was ruining players, they would do something about it. But they haven't, which makes me think that it's not really possible that Quinn has the GM and two presidents of hockey operations fooled. They're just might be a chance that they think he knows what he's doing, and even if I don't have faith in Gorton, I have faith in JD.

I mean JD said before the season that playoffs were not a mandate, and that pretty much makes me think that he knows the quality of the team he was icing and it wasn't playoff caliber. If you wanted to show a vote of no faith in Quinn, he would have made the playoffs a mandate. If JD didn't expect this team to make the playoffs, I don't know why anybody else should.

I defended Quinn for helping guys succeed during off-season discussions, but now it's irrelevant. I mean... they still didn't make the playoffs*

This season, Zibanejad back to suck, Buch on the trade block, "we're" trying to replace Strome, Kreider still disappearing for long stretches, DeAngelo gone, Georgiev worse.

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards.

I defended Quinn for helping guys succeed during off-season discussions, but now it's irrelevant. I mean... they still didn't make the playoffs*

This season, Zibanejad back to suck, Buch on the trade block, "we're" trying to replace Strome, Kreider still disappearing for long stretches, DeAngelo gone, Georgiev worse.

1 step forward, 2 steps backwards.

Zib had COVID.

Buch might be on the trade block... So? He's developed into the one of the best penalty killers in the league. Who put him on the penalty kill?

What does replacing Strome have to do with Quinn? Or anything?

Kreider... OK again, Kreider being what he's been his whole career is on Quinn now?

Geo sucking is on Quinn now too LOL?

ADA is not worth relitigating. Has nothing to do with Quinn.

This just doesn't make much sense.

Zib had COVID.

Buch might be on the trade block... So? He's developed into the one of the best penalty killers in the league. Who put him on the penalty kill?

What does replacing Strome have to do with Quinn? Or anything?

Kreider... OK again, Kreider being what he's been his whole career is on Quinn now?

Geo sucking is on Quinn now too LOL?

ADA is not worth relitigating. Has nothing to do with Quinn.

This just doesn't make much sense.

So exactly what "is on Quinn" and not?

Because you exclude everything negative. Two elite talents busting in front of his eyes is not his fault. The team playing trash hockey is for some reason also not his fault. ADA fighting team mates has nothing to do with the coach? Using Geo as a 1B instead of a backup goalie is not the coach fault? Not demoting Kreider after going invisible for many games in a row is not the coach fault?

As been said previously. We have a strong squad here and we've been adding every off-season, but we're still as bad (if not worse) than before DQ and the letter?

Beside turning your golden boy Strome into a PPG, what has he done really? Made Buch a PK'er? Awesome.

As I said earlier. The D's (Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Hajek(?)) has progressed because THEY HAVE PLAYED NHL HOCKEY. DQ had no other choice then to use them (he could play Smith/Trouba for 60 minutes, but yeah).

He's not on the PP2 and he plays ~10 min per game. Its been Trouba, Miller, Buch, Chyts and Kakko on the 2nd unit for a while now. Even Blackwell is ahead of him in the line.

He has 11 points in 35 games, its not good, but its not useless when you consider he's played most of his minutes as a bottom 6 guy and not came close to any really PP time. He do look a bit lost, but maybe the coaching staff should help him then? Maybe tell him what to do (not just "keep it simple" or "dump and chase"), but actually learn him something. Then you either give him the ice-time to try that or you sit him a couple games and have him watch the games. Not play him for one shift, look for a mistake and then bench him for the rest of the game when he forgets to dump the puck after some D-zone pressure against.

And its the same with all the young guys. Can't expect these guys to dominate the NHL right away. They need time to learn, they need opportunities to try things and fail, they need to find out whats working and whats not working and THIS SEASON is the perfect season for that. We should let these young guys play as much as they want to, but instead we're busy icing PDG and chasing a playoff spot we're never gonna make. Thats just dumb.

He's played nearly half the season on the top line. Laf-Zib-Buch has been used 5.3% of the time, third most common on the team, while his third line time amounts to 5.7%, Lafreniere-Chytil-Goat (2.4%) + Laf-Chytil-Kakko (2.3%). That also doesn't account for the few games he had with Panarin and Zibanejad. Source.

He's had plenty of opportunities to succeed. And I seriously don't get the "but he's on the third line" argument. Okay and? It's not as though he's playing with Howden and Lemieux. He's been playing with Chytil, Gauthier, and Kakko, all players that people have been clamoring deserve more opportunities. So are they good when they deserve more minutes but not when they don't help Lafreniere's production? Laf shouldn't have to be buoyed by better players. He's supposed to be the better player.

Lafreniere has the 7th highest PP TOI on the team this season with 58:33. Kakko is at 41:37. Chytil is at 19:40. I think it's fair to say that yes, Lafreniere has played on the powerplay this season and more than his peers.

This isn't a matter of dominance. It's a matter of showing anything. Lafreniere hasn't even demonstrated a willingness to make a mistake. His situation isn't akin to Kakko's or Chytil's. We've at least seen them try and fail. We've seen little of that from Lafreniere. There's no way a player of his caliber can't make simple plays. No one learns to just make the complicated play.

He's played nearly half the season on the top line. Laf-Zib-Buch has been used 5.3% of the time, third most common on the team, while his third line time amounts to 5.7%, Lafreniere-Chytil-Goat (2.4%) + Laf-Chytil-Kakko (2.3%). That also doesn't account for the few games he had with Panarin and Zibanejad. Source.

He's had plenty of opportunities to succeed. And I seriously don't get the "but he's on the third line" argument. Okay and? It's not as though he's playing with Howden and Lemieux. He's been playing with Chytil, Gauthier, and Kakko, all players that people have been clamoring deserve more opportunities. So are they good when they deserve more minutes but not when they don't help Lafreniere's production? Laf shouldn't have to be buoyed by better players. He's supposed to be the better player.

Lafreniere has the 7th highest PP TOI on the team this season with 58:33. Kakko is at 41:37. Chytil is at 19:40. I think it's fair to say that yes, Lafreniere has played on the powerplay this season and more than his peers.

This isn't a matter of dominance. It's a matter of showing anything. Lafreniere hasn't even demonstrated a willingness to make a mistake. His situation isn't akin to Kakko's or Chytil's. We've at least seen them try and fail. We've seen little of that from Lafreniere. There's no way a player of his caliber can't make simple plays. No one learns to just make the complicated play.

I must have been watching prior seasons games because there's no way I've seen Lafreniere play 1 hour of PP time. That makes no sense. He's not even had a cameo on the 1st unit. How do he have that much?

Anyway - I agree, he's looked lost and there's something wrong. Either everyone in the entire universe that watches hockey was wrong about this kid, or there's something that's "holding him back". Because I've seen him do amazing plays that he hasn't even dared to try in the NHL. Has he forgotten how to do such things or do he not dare to try/told not to try? I said exactly the same with Kakko last year. Yes he was slow af and weak, but he didnt even try his moves. He didnt even try to do the things he was so good at before coming to the NHL.

It makes no sense. Two busts back-to-back after getting the same treatment from the coaching staff.

The problem with having him on the 3rd line is that the entire line struggles with the same thing. They all look lost and drained of all confidence and playing like robots. They don't dare to try anything because they're playing scared. Its really obvious when you watch them play. Scared of turning the puck over or even taking a shot because if they miss the net they might get a odd man rush the other way.

But I guess we can keep going this way with Quinn and hope that G/D and an old Panarin can carry us to a cup. There's not a single young forward who's taken even a slightly step forward the soon 3 years with Quinn. (Strome and Buch does not go as "young").

We saw early signs with Andersson and Howden. Then Chytil stopped progessing. Then Kakko had a horrible first year and Gauthier didnt even get a chance. Now Lafreniere has a horrible season and Kravtsov gets the 4th line treatment after 1 game.

But sure, lets pretend it has nothing to do with Quinn and that its all the players fault.

So exactly what "is on Quinn" and not?
Team's never ready to play, always gives up early goals. Too predictable offensively, they're an on-the-rush team, and if that gets shut down they lose. Too many bench minor penalties. Can't hold a lead.

Because you exclude everything negative.
I'm not the one constantly whining about Quinn, so no I didn't "exclude" anything. I was responding to someone else's bulleted list, and it was they who in fact were excluding.

Two elite talents busting in front of his eyes is not his fault. The team playing trash hockey is for some reason also not his fault. ADA fighting team mates has nothing to do with the coach? Using Geo as a 1B instead of a backup goalie is not the coach fault? Not demoting Kreider after going invisible for many games in a row is not the coach fault?
This is just a rant that's not supported by fact. Kakko isn't busting and Lafreniere is a rookie. "Team playing trash hockey" what's that even mean? Some nights they are good and some nights they aren't. Could be why JD said playoffs weren't a mandate? Some of the other stuff is laughable. Kreider is a veteran player who's known to be streaky. You don't demote players who aren't going to learn from that demotion. Kreider is what he is and you take the good with the bad. ADA has nothing to do with Quinn, no getting hit by your teammate for acting like an asshole is not on the coach. That's ridiculous. Georgiev's playing time is the result of a condensed schedule and Shesterkin's durability or lack thereof.

As been said previously. We have a strong squad here and we've been adding every off-season, but we're still as bad (if not worse) than before DQ and the letter?

Beside turning your golden boy Strome into a PPG, what has he done really? Made Buch a PK'er? Awesome.

As I said earlier. The D's (Fox, Lindgren, Miller, Hajek(?)) has progressed because THEY HAVE PLAYED NHL HOCKEY. DQ had no other choice then to use them (he could play Smith/Trouba for 60 minutes, but yeah).

This is just more baseless ranting that doesn't deserve a response.

I must have been watching prior seasons games because there's no way I've seen Lafreniere play 1 hour of PP time. That makes no sense. He's not even had a cameo on the 1st unit. How do he have that much?

Rangers are 2nd in the league with 134 PP opportunities. That's just over 3.5 PPs per game. So, say you have 3 PPs. The 1st unit gets off the ice with 25 seconds left in each PP. That's 1:15 a game for the second unit.

But, when they jump on the ice, the puck is behind their net, the dman stands there for 5 seconds waiting for everyone to change and start circling, slowly skates up the ice, a few drop passes in the neutral zone, a dump in with 13 seconds left in the PP, 5 seconds to retrieve and get free, now you have 7 seconds to set up your PP.

Anyway - I agree, he's looked lost and there's something wrong. Either everyone in the entire universe that watches hockey was wrong about this kid, or there's something that's "holding him back". Because I've seen him do amazing plays that he hasn't even dared to try in the NHL. Has he forgotten how to do such things or do he not dare to try/told not to try? I said exactly the same with Kakko last year. Yes he was slow af and weak, but he didnt even try his moves. He didnt even try to do the things he was so good at before coming to the NHL.

It makes no sense. Two busts back-to-back after getting the same treatment from the coaching staff.

The problem with having him on the 3rd line is that the entire line struggles with the same thing. They all look lost and drained of all confidence and playing like robots. They don't dare to try anything because they're playing scared. Its really obvious when you watch them play. Scared of turning the puck over or even taking a shot because if they miss the net they might get a odd man rush the other way.

But I guess we can keep going this way with Quinn and hope that G/D and an old Panarin can carry us to a cup. There's not a single young forward who's taken even a slightly step forward the soon 3 years with Quinn. (Strome and Buch does not go as "young").

We saw early signs with Andersson and Howden. Then Chytil stopped progessing. Then Kakko had a horrible first year and Gauthier didnt even get a chance. Now Lafreniere has a horrible season and Kravtsov gets the 4th line treatment after 1 game.

But sure, lets pretend it has nothing to do with Quinn and that its all the players fault.

PP TOI is straight from NHL.com. It is correct. Source.

I never said Quinn had nothing to do with it, so that's a tangent unrelated to anything I'm saying.

Kakko still makes mistakes. Chytil still makes mistakes. They both still attempt plays that Lafreniere does not. I don't think Quinn is right to coach this team, but every player doesn't have the same issue. I don't see at all that Chytil is afraid to make mistakes. The same goes for Kakko.

Chytil and Kakko looked great to start the season when they had a different left wing. That was PDG, and he's the player most have chosen to scapegoat throughout recent weeks. So this borderline scrub made a line more effective than the first overall pick. Lafreniere needs to get his shit together.

• Like 1

Team's never ready to play, always gives up early goals. Too predictable offensively, they're an on-the-rush team, and if that gets shut down they lose. Too many bench minor penalties. Can't hold a lead.

Agree on that atleast.

This is just a rant that's not supported by fact. Kakko isn't busting and Lafreniere is a rookie. "Team playing trash hockey" what's that even mean? Some nights they are good and some nights they aren't. Could be why JD said playoffs weren't a mandate? Some of the other stuff is laughable. Kreider is a veteran player who's known to be streaky. You don't demote players who aren't going to learn from that demotion. Kreider is what he is and you take the good with the bad. ADA has nothing to do with Quinn, no getting hit by your teammate for acting like an asshole is not on the coach. That's ridiculous. Georgiev's playing time is the result of a condensed schedule and Shesterkin's durability or lack thereof.

A lot of excuses here.

- "A draft bust is a highly touted or highly selected draftee that does not meet expectations." Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(sports). I'm obviously not saying their careers are busts, but they've both looked a lot worse than what everyone was saying they were. And obviously the coach has to take some/a lot of the blame for that.

- Team chemistry is obviously something the coach has to deal with. Not blaming him for anything, but its not a good look for the coach.

- The usage of Georgiev especially at the beginning was too much and not needed. As usual DQ panicked. Shesty played one bad game = We have to bench him.

- Team playing trash = blowing big leads, playing back2back against Buffalo and not getting one regulation victory, leaning on the goalie to save us every game etc.

- Im not saying demote Kreider to "learn" him anything. Its for sending a message to the other guys that gets demoted after 1 bad shift. It cant be cool for them watching Kreider skate around for 20 minutes doing jack shit. That and get that useless guy off the ice when he's not hot. Its not that hard. A guy play bad for multiple games in a row = get him on the ice and see if someone else can do something with the ice time.

This is just more baseless ranting that doesn't deserve a response.

Not really a rant. That the team has not progressed the last years is not baseless. Still the same ~.500 team as we was 3 years ago.

There was also an easy question for you in that "rant" that you couldn't answer.

The thing about the D's is also a fact. Or could he have used someone else instead of Fox - Lindgren last year?

PP TOI is straight from NHL.com. It is correct. Source.

I never said Quinn had nothing to do with it, so that's a tangent unrelated to anything I'm saying.

Kakko still makes mistakes. Chytil still makes mistakes. They both still attempt plays that Lafreniere does not. I don't think Quinn is right to coach this team, but every player doesn't have the same issue. I don't see at all that Chytil is afraid to make mistakes. The same goes for Kakko.

Chytil and Kakko looked great to start the season when they had a different left wing. That was PDG, and he's the player most have chosen to scapegoat throughout recent weeks. So this borderline scrub made a line more effective than the first overall pick. Lafreniere needs to get his shit together.

I wouldn't say I "scapegoat" him, Drew....Just the sight of him gives me jock itch! :rofl:

I just don't see anything in PDG that helps. He skates well, and has size...that's about it.

I believe Laffy will be better this half of the season. To me he's just getting his feet wet. He'll be fine....kinda reminds me of Kakko last season.

Ozz, I've been meaning to talk to you about...I think you should get that checked out.

I know, I know!!!! ...I gotta stay away from those ugly ones!!! I'm getting new glasses next week, so I'm hoping that helps...

I'm probably gonna go the Ricky Vaughan route!!! :rofl:

• Like 1