• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smith should play over Johnson.

Why can't Quinn let guys get use to playing with the same line mates and defensive partners so they can form some continuity?????

The lines at practice are meaningless. We all know the Rangers will either take a penalty or get scored on in the first minute of the game and the lines will be chaos after that.

I still can't believe how much ice time Howden got last night through two periods and why Kakko and Chytil simply didn't play until the 3rd. I also don't get why Lafreniere saw less ice in the 3rd. It's not that hard to just roll the lines and skip the 4th line every other rotation. I understand Lemieux had a good game, but he simply doesn't score goals.

This shuffling of Howden up, Chytil down, Lemiuex up, Kakko down, Kakko up, Lafreniere down just makes no fucking sense to me at all. Leave the lines alone and skip the 4th line if you need goals.

• Like 1

The lines at practice are meaningless. We all know the Rangers will either take a penalty or get scored on in the first minute of the game and the lines will be chaos after that.

I still can't believe how much ice time Howden got last night through two periods and why Kakko and Chytil simply didn't play until the 3rd. I also don't get why Lafreniere saw less ice in the 3rd. It's not that hard to just roll the lines and skip the 4th line every other rotation. I understand Lemieux had a good game, but he simply doesn't score goals.

This shuffling of Howden up, Chytil down, Lemiuex up, Kakko down, Kakko up, Lafreniere down just makes no fucking sense to me at all. Leave the lines alone and skip the 4th line if you need goals.

You mean like a normal team does?

If Miller, ADA and Fox are in the lineup, that pretty much guarantees Johnson will be playing. He was brought in strictly to PK. Unfortunately, he's had to play more due to the lack of defense from defensemen.

Rangers fans see 2 things - scoring and hits. If you are scoring, you better be hitting. They need that visual aspect look at people complaining about Kakko the last 2 games, for example. He played good hockey, but he's been anointed the worst player ever because someone in his draft class got #1 minutes. Johnson is average 17 minutes a game, and for the most part, you dont notice him. But, you can go on twitter and find a picture where the forward didnt go to the net for a deflection and blame Johnson for missing the net.

If Miller, ADA and Fox are in the lineup, that pretty much guarantees Johnson will be playing. He was brought in strictly to PK. Unfortunately, he's had to play more due to the lack of defense from defensemen.

Rangers fans see 2 things - scoring and hits. If you are scoring, you better be hitting. They need that visual aspect look at people complaining about Kakko the last 2 games, for example. He played good hockey, but he's been anointed the worst player ever because someone in his draft class got #1 minutes. Johnson is average 17 minutes a game, and for the most part, you dont notice him. But, you can go on twitter and find a picture where the forward didnt go to the net for a deflection and blame Johnson for missing the net.

Yeah. Agree. Kakko was good last night to start the game. He had the puck on his stick. His line was in the offensive zone on every shift and then simply didn't play in the second and half the 3rd period. Yes, he's "invisible." Because he's on the bench. Not on the 2nd PP unit. And getting the minutes of a 4th line player.

Someone also tweeted JJ skating backwards and was like "look, this guy sucks" but in the clip, JJ still got to the puck first... so I'm not really sure what the point was. Johnson got a raw deal because EVERYONE said he sucks before he even put on the jersey. So now, if he makes a single mistake, it's on twitter instantly.

I honestly didn't notice Johnson last night or the night before -- which is good.

I noticed Strome. I noticed Georgiev. I noticed Howden and Lemieux on the ice every other shift --- playing BOTH powerplay and pk when guys like Chytil, Buch, Kakko, and Lafreniere can't seem to find ice time.

Smith has been surprisingly effective.

Agreed. Johnson hasn't been bad or good. IMO if someone should take a seat, its Miller..

DeAngelo-Trouba

Lindgren- Fox

Johnson-Smith

You just signed DeAngelo to a big contract. You gotta have him in the line up. The Devils just spanked you. Your PP STINKS. Your defense STINKS. This team has been playing with little edge. Get one of your better energy and offensive players back in the lineup and stop juggling the lines so frikken much.

At times the 2nd unit PP with its 4th liners has looked better than the 1st unit. Their previous goals were the Zibanejad flubbed one timer and the Kreider off the defender goal. i feel like there has been a lot of pp time with no shots or scoring chances.

I do like ADA on the top unit. I like his deception and he runs the unit, where Fox seems to defer. Also, Fox doesn’t have that issue on PP2 because he’s not with the big names. Whereas I think ADA tries too hard on PP2, making him less effective. But i can’t complain about anything Fox is doing this far.

Can we see Johnson as a scratch please? All the wrong guys are sitting while he continues to be in there. Smith didn't deserve the scratch last night, he's been good.

I was weary on Miller. Still am. While he shows some glimpses of being a capable player, he looks a little overwhelmed too. I'm not saying he looks bad at all. I think he needs seasoning and may need a reduced role for now to gain some confidence. Kinda playing like a gentle giant. A Malik who can skate.. A little indecisive with the puck, and at times looks a little lost out there. How long was that shift when he got stuck out there? Felt like 2 minutes. Better players have sat to gather themselves and get a look from the stands.

Then there's Lindgren. He may need a message scratch too. He's been a bit average. Bad play pushing the puck into the goal with his hand, and his energy level has been down.

It feels like the entire teams energy level is in the garbage. Almost like when AV was here. That feeling of playing safe and not going for the big hit or playing a bit in your face. Kreider is invisible again. Lemieux is playing it tight, DeAngelo has to be a choir boy, Trouba hasn't hit anyone, nor has Lindgren. Gauthier has been a giant pussy, Miller too. When Buchnevich is the hard nosed player on the team, something is up.

Its almost as if when they are expected to compete, they play like they did under AV. Wimpy "smart" and low amounts of risk. Fear of taking an aggressive penalty. So instead it becomes taking lazy penalties or letting the other team do as they please.

Instead of scratching DeAngelo and Gauthier, maybe its time to send a message to Kreider and Trouba. They are leading by example and the example is play safe and like a gentleman. Or is that what the coach wants?

End of all over the place rant.

Putting Miller on the top air opening night was throwing him into the deep end of the pool.And he looked a bit overwhelmed. But since then he's found his footing. Do think at some point though letting him sit in the press box and take it all in on a night of say a back to back wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for his development.

Seen no reason at all why Johnson plays over Smith or Bitetto or Hajek. Also, for expansion draft purposes they probably want to see Bitetto dress for 19 games.