• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

I wonder what the trade deadline will look in April if the team doesn't right the ship soon. Might see some names at the top of our roster moved.

Define "top of our roster." Trouba, Kreider, and Panarin are all locked in with full trade protection (NMC/NTC). They're almost certainly not going anywhere unless they want to.

I don't know that DeAngelo or Strome would qualify as "top of the roster," either, which pretty much leaves Buchnevich and Zibanejad?

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define "top of our roster." Trouba, Kreider, and Panarin are all locked in with full trade protection (NMC/NTC). They're almost certainly not going anywhere unless they want to.

I don't know that DeAngelo or Strome would qualify as "top of the roster," either, which pretty much leaves Buchnevich and Zibanejad?

Zibanejad is looking more and more like that 2C we desperately need.

No chance he gets moved, but if he stinks this year, maybe the Rangers make a move for another 1C and we get the best of both worlds.

What would you call them? Strome is in the top 6. DeAngelo was our top point producing defenseman last year.

I will reiterate I said our roster, which is not relevant to what they would be on another team's roster :p

Man I'm not sure you can stick with either goalie if they get their doors blown off like that. To me you risk inching even closer to that wasteland if you're not already there. I get it though in an ideal world you want consistency and one of them to step up, but they have to show you something. Getting smoked and being lost is different than giving up a bad one occasionally. I think this fish rots from the head down lineup wise so they should all be feeling the pressure not just the goalies. Hopefully they show us something as a group starting tomorrow.

Quinn is acting very desperate. These aren't good decisions.
Is it really desperate though? When nobody's playing well, what choice do you have and then to overplay the players who are playing well?

The bipolar tendencies of Ranger fans are playing out all over the forum. They simultaneously want the coach to keep the lines together and let them gel, but also demote half of the players in the top six and take them off the power play, and mixed reviews on giving ice time to players who are contributing.

At some point we have to distance ourselves from the group think and be objective about all of this.

Quinn is acting very desperate. These aren't good decisions.

I think he's in over his head and isn't capable of pulling the right strings, so he's gonna pull them all repeatedly. To be fair I think the roster is full of holes and have felt that way all along especially factoring in not knowing what you're going to get out of Kakko and Laf this season. I didn't expect the regression of what quality there was.

How-Do-You-Know-When-Someone-is-Drowning-1800x1200.jpg

Is it really desperate though? When nobody's playing well, what choice do you have and then to overplay the players who are playing well?

The bipolar tendencies of Ranger fans are playing out all over the forum. They simultaneously want the coach to keep the lines together and let them gel, but also demote half of the players in the top six and take them off the power play, and mixed reviews on giving ice time to players who are contributing.

At some point we have to distance ourselves from the group think and be objective about all of this.

You let the kids, fhe future, get the ice time and let them grow. They can make mistakes and learn. They can go some games without production as part of the learning process. Learn how to work through a drought or tough times. Shanking them for career 4th line plugs, at best, doesn't seem like a good way to develop them when they need the ice time to grow.

When you change the lines around this much it's a fairly strong indication of a lack of an actual plan and a certain degree of desperation. We're 6 games in and there isn't a single line or d-pair intact from camp. Not one. Non stop moving personell around isn't coaching. It's windmilling. It's throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. I mean, take Lafreniere. From memory, these are the lines he's started on

Laf/Chytil/Gauthier

Panarin/Strome/Laf

Kreider/Zib/Laf

Laf/Howden/Kakko

I mean, that's 4 lines and 9 different linemates in 6 games. And that's a)excluding in-game line adjustments and b)just one player. Coming out of camp, Kakko was the guy he wanted to fill the hole left by Fast. He was given, what, roughly 10 minutes of ice time before that experiment was over. Basically wasting any chemistry built up in camp. Literally 0 continuity for very young, highly talented players who probably need that more than anything.

That's what happens when the team has no identifiable structure and no actual system to lean on when things aren't clicking. You're playing pond hockey and you're completely and utterly dependent on your big players to carry the team to wins. When they're not firing you're left trying to chase lightning in a bottle. Like playing PdG in OT or throwing Blackwell out on the 2nd line. I honestly can't really recall seeing it to this extreme at the NHL level.

When you change the lines around this much it's a fairly strong indication of a lack of an actual plan and a certain degree of desperation. We're 6 games in and there isn't a single line or d-pair intact from camp. Not one. Non stop moving personell around isn't coaching. It's windmilling. It's throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. I mean, take Lafreniere. From memory, these are the lines he's started on

Laf/Chytil/Gauthier

Panarin/Strome/Laf

Kreider/Zib/Laf

Laf/Howden/Kakko

I mean, that's 4 lines and 9 different linemates in 6 games. And that's a)excluding in-game line adjustments and b)just one player. Coming out of camp, Kakko was the guy he wanted to fill the hole left by Fast. He was given, what, roughly 10 minutes of ice time before that experiment was over. Basically wasting any chemistry built up in camp. Literally 0 continuity for very young, highly talented players who probably need that more than anything.

That's what happens when the team has no identifiable structure and no actual system to lean on when things aren't clicking. You're playing pond hockey and you're completely and utterly dependent on your big players to carry the team to wins. When they're not firing you're left trying to chase lightning in a bottle. Like playing PdG in OT or throwing Blackwell out on the 2nd line. I honestly can't really recall seeing it to this extreme at the NHL level.

How quickly we forget.

The page is down, but the memory will last a lifetime.

There was an updated version that was made for AV, too, I think. All coaches juggle lines to a point where fans, generally, will complain.

That's absolutely true, but I still feel what we're seeing is an extreme version of it. But maybe I'm wrong.

In any case, the point is it's generally a sign that you're out of ideas.