• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

Yeah this is an interesting point from Brooks. The guys who signed contracts (surprise, surprise) aren't playing well. I feel like this always happens. They get their money and then they fold under the pressure to perform up to their contract.

I don't know what the hell's going on with Mika but I have to assume COVID is having lasting effects. Kreider looks quick but similar to Strome, when he gets the puck on his stick there's not an ounce of control. Lafreniere played his best game last night, so that's promising, but if this team is going to win any games the vets have to play better, period.

That's Mika. Kreider. Strome. Panarin to some extent although he's got a PPG so hard to be too critical.

Since the 1st game the defense has looked good and I thought they were particularly great last night so if these guys can actually start to do something (and the goalies can make a save) we'll be in decent shape.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not often I agree with Brooks. But I do agree here. Laf has been fine. I actually thought he looked better last night. The problem right now is, bizarrely, the exact opposite of last season. The 3rd line is good. The 4th is fine. The 3 d pairs were certainly not to blame. It’s the top 6. Zib and Kreider have been awful. Just terrible. The 2nd line a bit better, but certainly not where it needs to be. Said it the other day, but you’re not going to win many games when your big players, your veterans, aren’t pulling their weight. In particular when the rest of the team are kids.

• Like 1

Laf has been severely handcuffed by his ineffective linemates and to a degree you can tell he's still playing rather unselfishly. I think it'll do him good being moved to the 3rd line as per Quinn. Less focus on him from the opposition as well then. The spotlight definitely has to be on the veterans getting their game together though.

Laf has been severely handcuffed by his ineffective linemates and to a degree you can tell he's still playing rather unselfishly. I think it'll do him good being moved to the 3rd line as per Quinn. Less focus on him from the opposition as well then. The spotlight definitely has to be on the veterans getting their game together though.

Quinn didn't say he was being moved back. That's Larry speculating. None of the reporters even saw practice.

I don't think Laf has looked all that good no matter where he's been. It is ironic few games/weeks ago/going into the season some were calling for him to play up the lineup and now it's he's better off down. By no means calling him a bust but more to what others said earlier today once again it appears the so called experts overrated his readiness to have an immediate impact. I thought he should of been able to stuff that one in from basically inside the paint but whatever. I wish I felt they've looked pretty good so far and could have a far better record if they just got a few saves here and there. But so far I don't see it.

When I look at the player rankings thread I actually get pretty bummed honestly. Miller, Fox, Chytil and Panarin (points wise) to me are doing well. But for every one of those guys there's two that are not. There's a couple in the middle of the road. I guess I just don't get all excited hearing how good PDG is on the broadcast. Not the end of the world, I didn't expect them to be world beaters. I certainly expected better from our top players and others to take the next step forward, so far most have not. Kakko has at times.

I don't think Laf has looked all that good no matter where he's been. It is ironic few games/weeks ago/going into the season some were calling for him to play up the lineup and now it's he's better off down. By no means calling him a bust but more to what others said earlier today once again it appears the so called experts overrated his readiness to have an immediate impact. I thought he should of been able to stuff that one in from basically inside the paint but whatever. I wish I felt they've looked pretty good so far and could have a far better record if they just got a few saves here and there. But so far I don't see it.

When I look at the player rankings thread I actually get pretty bummed honestly. Miller, Fox, Chytil and Panarin (points wise) to me are doing well. But for every one of those guys there's two that are not. There's a couple in the middle of the road. I guess I just don't get all excited hearing how good PDG is on the broadcast. Not the end of the world, I didn't expect them to be world beaters. I certainly expected better from our top players and others to take the next step forward, so far most have not. Kakko has at times.

There was a good post on Reddit the other day asking how late some star players broke out. Players like the Sedins were on the 3rd line until they were 25. Most players break out around 22-23. Chytil is much improved this year (his 3rd year) at 21 years old. Buch is 25 having his best start. Zib had his break out season last year at 26. Kakko looks much better than he did last season. Etc.

Lafreniere will take a few years to hit his full potential. Anyone saying Laf was a 60 point scorer this year was delusional. You should have learned to temper expectations after what happened with Kakko and Hughes.

Lafreniere had his best game last night IMO. He'll score soon and his confidence will rise. But he's not gonna shoot the lights out this year.

There was a good post on Reddit the other day asking how late some star players broke out. Players like the Sedins were on the 3rd line until they were 25. Most players break out around 22-23. Chytil is much improved this year (his 3rd year) at 21 years old. Buch is 25 having his best start. Zib had his break out season last year at 26. Kakko looks much better than he did last season. Etc.

Lafreniere will take a few years to hit his full potential. Anyone saying Laf was a 60 point scorer this year was delusional. You should have learned to temper expectations after what happened with Kakko and Hughes.

Lafreniere had his best game last night IMO. He'll score soon and his confidence will rise. But he's not gonna shoot the lights out this year.

We should settle down and not call people delusional.

Taylor Hall scored 53 point pace as a rookie (65 games due to injury.

RNH had 52 points in 62 games as a rookie.

Eichel 56 in 82.

Patrick Kane 72 in 82.

Expecting a 60-ish point pace out of the number one overall pick who came billed the way Lafreniere was billed is not delusional by any means.

If you want to call anyone delusional, then maybe call the talking heads giving the scouting reports delusional.

Going back to the 2000 draft, of the 19 skaters picked #1, there's essentially Nail Yakupov, Erik Johnson, Rick Nash, and Jack Hughes that didn't come in pacing 50-60 points as a forward or 40 points as a D man, in the case of Ekblad, so I don't really know what you're on about.

This isn't some prospect, it's the #1 OA in what was considered, a very good draft class.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3983

I have to admit I'm one of those people that expected (and still expects) Lafreniere to put up a 50-60 point rookie season. But those guys mentioned above had a pretty strong supporting cast around them (except maybe Eichel). The supporting cast around Lafreniere has been unexpectedly MIA this year and he's definitely not a generational 1st overall pick to do it all on his own (nor was he ever touted to be that). So I think just gonna have to be patient with him and the rest of the team to get it going before drawing too many conclusions on him.

I have to admit I'm one of those people that expected (and still expects) Lafreniere to put up a 50-60 point rookie season. But those guys mentioned above had a pretty strong supporting cast around them (except maybe Eichel). The supporting cast around Lafreniere has been unexpectedly MIA this year and he's definitely not a generational 1st overall pick to do it all on his own (nor was he ever touted to be that). So I think just gonna have to be patient with him and the rest of the team to get it going before drawing too many conclusions on him.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. Those teams were bad and that's how they wound up with number one pics, the Rangers were a playoff team who wound up with the number one pick. That is the literal definition of hitting lottery.

Out of the 9 other players who have been on his line this year he's got:

- 6 first rounders and a third rounder with first round talent

- Of those 6, two #5 and a #2 overall.

- An MVP candidate

He should at least be getting looks and chances.

I think he's struggling because we have such good players. He's deferring too much and is not taking the reins the way he has always been expected to for his entire life. It's the first time ever where there are bigger stars playing next to him. If he was skating for Detroit or Ottawa he'd probably have a bunch of points already.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree. Those teams were bad and that's how they wound up with number one pics, the Rangers were a playoff team who wound up with the number one pick. That is the literal definition of hitting lottery.

- An MVP candidate

I don't think the point is the lack of pedigree in his line mates. It's the fact he's playing on the 1st line, drawing 1st line matchups with two line mates who are completely off the boil. I mean, Kreider and Zibanejad are playing terrible hockey. They're utterly ineffective 5v5. Lafreniere obviously has to take his part of the responsibility for that line not clicking, but it obviously doesn't help when two the veterans and key players alongside him are struggling so bad.

That being said, I don't think it's accurate he's not getting looks. He missed a gaping net when it was easier to score in the last game. He "assisted" the shot that hit the post in the first game v the Pens. He fanned on a one timer on a 2v1 in one of the Pens games as well. He could easily have had 2 or 3 points with a bit more quality/luck, and the narrative would be a bit different.

I'm not really worried about him tbh. Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but I feel like you can see "it's" there with him.

I don't think the point is the lack of pedigree in his line mates. It's the fact he's playing on the 1st line, drawing 1st line matchups with two line mates who are completely off the boil. I mean, Kreider and Zibanejad are playing terrible hockey. They're utterly ineffective 5v5. Lafreniere obviously has to take his part of the responsibility for that line not clicking, but it obviously doesn't help when two the veterans and key players alongside him are struggling so bad.

That being said, I don't think it's accurate he's not getting looks. He missed a gaping net when it was easier to score in the last game. He "assisted" the shot that hit the post in the first game v the Pens. He fanned on a one timer on a 2v1 in one of the Pens games as well. He could easily have had 2 or 3 points with a bit more quality/luck, and the narrative would be a bit different.

I'm not really worried about him tbh. Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see, but I feel like you can see "it's" there with him.

This is the unfortunate issue with Quinn, not enough of a sample size to really say.

Agree with getting him away from first pairing defenders, don't agree his getting looks and the plays you're mentioning I don't remember at all, he's been quite forgettable.

In the long run he'll be fine, I agree. But Chytil showed more dynamic play as a rookie.

This is the unfortunate issue with Quinn, not enough of a sample size to really say.

Yeah. We're 5 games in and he's played on 3 different lines - excluding in game line shenanigans from Quinn.

Started with Cheats/Gauthier on the 3rd. Then Quinn gave Kakko about 15 minutes of ice time on the 2nd line before he was demoted, and Laf took his place. Now on the 1st.

I'm not saying I should be the HC instead of DQ, but that sounds less than ideal.

Might even see a 4th set of line mates with Chytil out.

I'm not even worried about Laf...he's a #1 pick for a reason, and the proof will be there soon enough.....and for a long time coming.

Remember, a lot of us were all worried about our bottom 6? Now it's our top 6 that really has been quite....well.....shitty!! :rofl:

Hopefully we play a solid 60 tonight and get rolling.

- An MVP candidate

Not quite as cut and dry as that Peetie. They might've been bad teams overall but zeroing in those players you listed out, they had some pretty talented linemates who were actually performing. A bad team does not equate to a team unable to score goals. Now while Laf has had some extremely talented linemates as well, who along with his supposed skillset, should allow him the opportunities to put up similar numbers, but they're completely MIA and shitting the bed at the moment. And Laf was never touted to be a generational talent like Ovechkin, Crosby, McDavid etc. and expected to make things happen all by himself.

I think expectations around here need a reality check and people in general need to have a bit more patience with this roster. (and this applies to me as much as anyone lol).

- An MVP candidate

At the very least I should be able to know he’s playing lol.

Lafreniere just needs to take the reigns and take over. No one's willing to do it. Quinn mentioned it when he didnt name a C... but he though multiple guys would step up. Instead, the kid should just forget about the ego's of teammates and take over the team like he always has.

Last game, he finally started doing some of the things that made him a great player. He's starting to carry the puck and skate a bit more. He needs that, linemates, and his shot going - it's not just one thing. He'll be dangerous, but he has to be the line driver, not a passenger or play a complimentary role to anyone on the team.

Lafreniere just needs to take the reigns and take over. No one's willing to do it. Quinn mentioned it when he didnt name a C... but he though multiple guys would step up. Instead, the kid should just forget about the ego's of teammates and take over the team like he always has.

Last game, he finally started doing some of the things that made him a great player. He's starting to carry the puck and skate a bit more. He needs that, linemates, and his shot going - it's not just one thing. He'll be dangerous, but he has to be the line driver, not a passenger or play a complimentary role to anyone on the team.

Yep. I agree 100% and I feel like there were signs last game. I'm sure his instinct is to defer to Panarin or Zib or Kreider or whoever the hell else he's playing with (3 different lines in 5 games). At some point he needs to just say fuck it and make it happen on his own and the others will follow him.

Interesting comment about the captaincy too. Nobody wants to step up and take it. Maybe he should.

Same for Kakko no?

I wonder what the trade deadline will look in April if the team doesn't right the ship soon. Might see some names at the top of our roster moved.

I highly highly doubt it. There's no one to be moved. Panarin? Zib? These guys are going to sink or swim, and if it's sink they'll address some issues in FA.