• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For as much as everyone hates him, he's actually the best faceoff guy and good on the PK. He's not total deadweight.

That's not really saying too much. Hard to believe he has 2 assists for 2 points in 21 games. Not a big points guy in judging a players game but that's hard to believe just how unproductive he is

That's not really saying too much. Hard to believe he has 2 assists for 2 points in 21 games. Not a big points guy in judging a players game but that's hard to believe just how unproductive he is

He's one of those guys you never see on the ice. Never. He's just invisible night in and night out.

But he does actually serve a purpose. Re: Blackwell, I don't know that he can win faceoffs or kill penalties and that's what the 4th line center has to do on this team.

Howdy's had more fights than points! Someone's gotta stand up and be the watchdog for this team.

We gotta work on that left though; when he swings, he may loosen his tampon! ;)

Sorry, It's Friday!!!! Where's the whiskey? It's close enough to Happy hour now, isn't it???

Howdy's had more fights than points! Someone's gotta stand up and be the watchdog for this team.

We gotta work on that left though; when he swings, he may loosen his tampon! ;)

Sorry, It's Friday!!!! Where's the whiskey? It's close enough to Happy hour now, isn't it???

It's always 8AM somewhere, Oz!

• Like 1

How about sitting Zibs?

Lemieux has definitely disappeared over the last 2 weeks, so maybe a seat will do him some good.

I thought about this too and I came back to "Zib is doing a LOT of good things without the puck, specifically on our suddenly rock-solid PK".

I can't see a world where we shoot our PK in the foot like that by scratching him, unless he explicitly asks for it.

Nobody complained about Jan Erixons 12 points a season

"The Shadow"!!!

Loved Jan Erixon!! One of the toughest roles for any player. Trying to cover Lemeiux, Gretzky, Yzerman, Brett Hull, etc....on a nightly basis was a JOB!!!

Hockey was a lot different then, and Jan did that job pretty damn well....he was always in the running for the Selke, but he got banged up a lot doing it too, barely averaging 50-60 games/season.

You're right though, Blue...I think he was a fan fave! well deserved though!

Jan Erixon had some offensive skill. Back injuries really crippled his career. He played the role because he was good at it, but he did show flashes of offense that howden just doesn’t possess.

Jan Erixon had some offensive skill. Back injuries really crippled his career. He played the role because he was good at it, but he did show flashes of offense that howden just doesn’t possess.

Howden is a big body though, and I think if he would take on the role of being a more physical player (protector role), I think he would have more value to this team. I always liked having "an enforcer" type, and even though today's game doesn't really allow for a Dave Schultz type guy, I think Howden has enough to be a 4th liner who could come to the aid of a guy like Laffy, or Fox, kinda like a old school McSorely or a modern day Matt Martin.

Joey Kocur was my favorite, but there are so very few that can hit like that! That guy had a fist like a bowling ball.

I saw Pete's post that he'd given up on him, and I really can't blame him. Howden hasn't shown me a whole lot either, especially in the way of offense. I've seen him throw a few hits and drop the gloves on occasion, but nothing Domi-like. He is responsible enough in his own zone and defensively, so he'll rarely if ever hurt us there.

But if we had a home-grown tough guy, I think that would be a great role for him. Question is: How tough is Howden??

Howden's starting to get scary for me. Given his draft profile and junior career, you'd have thought you were getting Brayden Schenn or something. At least last year you could sit there and think "okay, he might be Brian Boyle or Blair Betts or Ruslan Fedotenko or something".

Right now, he looks like Lias Andersson with less offensive talent. That's a COLOSSAL problem. I think he's at a point where he's either got to commit to being Blair Betts and get really fucking good at the defensive elements of the game, or he's got to move on.

In the previous 2 seasons*, Chytil had 4 more points than Howden in 1 less game. I'm not going to look, but I'm going to assume Chytil has been put in much more offensive positions, including PP time, that Howden has barely seen.

With the current make up of the squad, Howden seems to be closer to fulfilling the expectations of his role when compared to Chytil doing the same.

In the previous 2 seasons*, Chytil had 4 more points than Howden in 1 less game. I'm not going to look, but I'm going to assume Chytil has been put in much more offensive positions, including PP time, that Howden has barely seen.

With the current make up of the squad, Howden seems to be closer to fulfilling the expectations of his role when compared to Chytil doing the same.

Seeing as they were both acquired with the expectation that they'd fill the exact same role (mid-6 center), that feels somewhat unfair to Chytil, seeing as he's actually filling that role, and Howden is not.

Howden's been utterly brutal this season. At least last year we kind of got it - no other centers, okay production. Now?

I would absolutely love to see him get it together, Josh. I know he doesn't get the ice time of a Chytil, and I'm not looking for big numbers out of him, but I would like to see him do something of impact;

Score a goal

Take a big shot, and get a rebound for an assist

Throw a big board rattling hit on a guy

Drop the gloves and lump a guy up (...hopefully an opposing player! ;))

You know, stir the pot a little...get more involved....

He just kinda "exists" out there, and I'm not seeing him do a whole lot. He's good defensively, which is a plus but I think he has more in him than that!

Seeing as they were both acquired with the expectation that they'd fill the exact same role (mid-6 center), that feels somewhat unfair to Chytil, seeing as he's actually filling that role, and Howden is not.

Howden's been utterly brutal this season. At least last year we kind of got it - no other centers, okay production. Now?

I would absolutely love to see him get it together, Josh. I know he doesn't get the ice time of a Chytil, and I'm not looking for big numbers out of him, but I would like to see him do something of impact;

Score a goal

Take a big shot, and get a rebound for an assist

Throw a big board rattling hit on a guy

Drop the gloves and lump a guy up (...hopefully an opposing player! ;))

You know, stir the pot a little...get more involved....

He just kinda "exists" out there, and I'm not seeing him do a whole lot. He's good defensively, which is a plus but I think he has more in him than that!

Oh I get it - I might be the first, and most consistent Howdoubter. But, comparatively hes not worst than Chytil. This 'non-defensive' bottom 6 C put up the same points as 'young, dynamic, future #2C' that has been put in more offensive situations. You dont find that argument the least bit ironic?

As for this season, Howden has been moved around just as much as Lafreniere. LW, RW, C, 3rd line, 4th line, etc. And he's slumping just like Zibanejad.

The difference is, the bottom 6 hasnt been the issue this season. They arent losing games because the 4th line isnt contributing. They lose because their top guys are contributing how they should.

He's also been the best at Faceoffs with a ... 48% - WTF guys, 48% is the best? fuck