• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much does this coach hate Julien Gauthier? Everyone knows the future is Colin Blackwell right? :rofl:

Gauthier has been playing better the last few games. Doesn't make him ready for first line match ups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Gauthier has been playing better the last few games. Doesn't make him ready for first line match ups.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No, you're right. It doesn't. I'm moreso implying that Quinn is willing to demote Buchnevich off the 1st line, promote a career journeyman up to the 1st line, and leave a 23 y.o. with some promise stapled to the 4th at 7-8 mins a game. I think a 3rd line stint at 15 min a game for a handful of games would be a fair reward for Gauthier, but that's not how the Quinn bank works around here.

Colin Blackwell elevates to top six

Rookie Alexis Lafreni?re stepped in to fill Panarin’s void on the second line next to Ryan Strome and Kaapo Kakko, with that line generating a team-high eight scoring chances on Friday, according to Natural Stat Trick.

They’ll remain together for Tuesday’s game, but the top line will feature a notable change.

Colin Blackwell spent the last two practices playing right wing alongside Chris Kreider and Mika Zibanejad and appears on track to get an opportunity there.

The 27-year-old has made an impression in five games played, netting three points (one goal and two assists) while playing strong defense and limiting opponents to an average of 17.27 shots per 60 minutes on the ice.

“He plays hard every shift, he gets inside, he's got some skill to complement that work ethic, and he's made every line a little bit better, no matter what line we put him on,” Quinn said. “We'll see how it goes.”

The hope is that Blackwell’s hustle will open up opportunities for Zibanejad, who hasn’t scored in 10 consecutive games while notching only one assist in that span.

“I'm just doing the little things to try to get those guys the puck,” Blackwell said. “They’re pretty high-class, skilled players, and good things are going to happen that way. So, bring my speed and bring my energy and my relentlessness — kind of dog-on-a-bone mentality — so we can generate some offensive momentum going that way.”

With the Rangers searching for an offensive spark — they’ve scored just two goals in their last three games, all losses — Pavel Buchnevich is sliding down from his usual spot with Kreider and Zibanejad on to the third line with Phil Di Giuseppe and Brett Howden.

The fourth line won’t change with Brendan Lemieux, Kevin Rooney and Julien Gauthier, while Quinn confirmed that goalie Igor Shesterkin will receive his sixth start in the last eight games.

It’s unclear where Panarin will fit when he returns, but it’s possible he could get a chance next to Zibanejad if Lafreni?re continues to click with Strome and Kakko.

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2021/02/15/kandre-miller-and-artemi-panarin-could-miss-ny-rangers-tuesday-game/6749293002/

Buchnevich should have shot on the 2 v 1 in OT a couple of games ago, but he has for the most part looked pretty good this season and has 8 points in 13 games. Do we really want to go down the path of essentially blaming him for Kreider and Zibanejad's troubles, and to the point you demote him to play with Howden? That's shitty no matter how you slice it. Did he say something to Quinn?

And, by the way, I like Blackwell. I hope it works from a standpoint of getting Kreider/Zibanejad going somehow, but he's actually the kind of guy I'd like to have on a 4th line. He brings a lot of energy in bursts and sets a bit of a "Jesper Fast annoying to play against" kind of mood. But I don't see how he's a guy you commit large chunks of ice time to on a rebuilding team that is supposed to see what they've got in young players to better make decisions about what's needed moving forward or simply to give the kids more time and experience to learn. The only thing worse than losing, is losing without your young players soaking up the ice time, especially when there's guys ahead of them who don't deserve the ice time.

Buchnevich should have shot on the 2 v 1 in OT a couple of games ago, but he has for the most part looked pretty good this season and has 8 points in 13 games. Do we really want to go down the path of essentially blaming him for Kreider and Zibanejad's troubles, and to the point you demote him to play with Howden? That's shitty no matter how you slice it. Did he say something to Quinn?

And, by the way, I like Blackwell. I hope it works from a standpoint of getting Kreider/Zibanejad going somehow, but he's actually the kind of guy I'd like to have on a 4th line. He brings a lot of energy in bursts and sets a bit of a "Jesper Fast annoying to play against" kind of mood. But I don't see how he's a guy you commit large chunks of ice time to on a rebuilding team that is supposed to see what they've got in young players to better make decisions about what's needed moving forward or simply to give the kids more time and experience to learn. The only thing worse than losing, is losing without your young players soaking up the ice time, especially when there's guys ahead of them who don't deserve the ice time.

Whilst I do agree with the gist of that, and it's pretty difficult to give DQ the benefit of the doubt in terms of making sensible moves, this particular version of line gymnastics looks like trying to balance the lines to me. Keeping Buch on the 1st basically means playing two 4th lines. At least now you have some sort of hope that Buchnevich and PDG can generate "something". I don't think this is the reason he's done it, but swapping Rooney with Howden would render the 4th line a black hole. I do agree though that if any of the bottom six guys deserve to be promoted it's Kevin Rooney. You could probably convince me he deserves a shot as 2c based on performances.

Whilst I do agree with the gist of that, and it's pretty difficult to give DQ the benefit of the doubt in terms of making sensible moves, this particular version of line gymnastics looks like trying to balance the lines to me. Keeping Buch on the 1st basically means playing two 4th lines. At least now you have some sort of hope that Buchnevich and PDG can generate "something". I don't think this is the reason he's done it, but swapping Rooney with Howden would render the 4th line a black hole. I do agree though that if any of the bottom six guys deserve to be promoted it's Kevin Rooney. You could probably convince me he deserves a shot as 2c based on performances.

Mercagliano was pretty clear that Quinn is trying to spread the offense around, and that it's not a "punishment". Let's be honest, the way Zib and Kreider are playing, is getting Buch away from them really a demotion, anyway?

I'm assuming the Rooney at 2C is just some leftover Strome-hating hyperbole, since that line was the best one in the last game, and 4th line success over 10 minutes against weak defenses doesn't equate to success over 20 minutes against the other team's top players, yada yada yada. ;)

Mercagliano was pretty clear that Quinn is trying to spread the offense around, and that it's not a "punishment". Let's be honest, the way Zib and Kreider are playing, is getting Buch away from them really a demotion, anyway?

I'm assuming the Rooney at 2C is just some leftover Strome-hating hyperbole, since that line was the best one in the last game, and 4th line success over 10 minutes against weak defenses doesn't equate to success over 20 minutes against the other team's top players, yada yada yada. ;)

But lets be honest, Strome line last game was good not because of Strome. In fact, the plays died on Strome’s stick.

But lets be honest, Strome line last game was good not because of Strome. In fact, the plays died on Strome’s stick.

I don't remember. I was in the hospital on plenty of Oxy. Everyone sees what they want to see, and no one likes Strome no matter how well he plays, though I'm not going to argue your assessment LOL.

See, we're not in a place where you can say you were kidding and I'm going to take that as a joke, because we don't like each other. Still to hockey talk.

Come on...that was pretty funny. And I do like you Pete, mostly in the mornings though. You seem mellower in the mornings

I don't think Strome has played well at all this season. But that wasn't the point I was making. My point was that if you were looking to promote one of the prototypical bottom six guys to the top six, Kevin Rooney is probably the most deserving based on performances. He's been really good and arguably our best center (bar Chytil), quality of matchups not withstanding.

It wasn't meant as a swipe at Strome, although I can see why it was seen as such.

I don't think Strome has played well at all this season. But that wasn't the point I was making. My point was that if you were looking to promote one of the prototypical bottom six guys to the top six, Kevin Rooney is probably the most deserving based on performances. He's been really good and arguably our best center (bar Chytil), quality of matchups not withstanding.

It wasn't meant as a swipe at Strome, although I can see why it was seen as such.

I hear you, but I'd argue Blackwell has had more impact and better suited to move up and be a defensive conscience and puck hound.

Rooney has had success in his role but that doesn't mean you take him out if it. I think you leave him there and let him continue to have success.

I.don't think any of our top six players have played well this season ,that's why the scoring been down this season

I'm not so sure it's "played well", fellas....I think it's more of "They haven't scored". Defensively they've been very responsible and accountable.

This team is among the top 10 in the league at fewest goals allowed per game, fewest shots allowed per game, and most shots on goal per game. Just about every game has been a one-goal barn-burner, and we haven't really let anyone score more than 3 in quite some time....(I think it was the OT game in Pittsburgh with Georgie's softy to Sid).

Defensively I like what we've got going on. The Rangers get plenty of scoring chances, but they simply do not, and haven't converted. If you go back and add simply one regulation time goal to every outcome over the last 13 games, that'd give us 10 extra points in the standings (I added 2 points for the shootout and OT losses.), that puts us at 21 points, one point behind the B's.

How many times have we seen the missed breakaways, hit posts, crossbars, and countless times when guys passed up legit goal scoring opportunities and passed the puck into oblivion? Too many, right?

....point is, we're not that far off, fellas. Defensively this team is very sound. We have to hold these players responsible for scoring at some point. The defensive strategy is pretty fuckin' solid....and as far as I'm concerned, that's the hardest part of the game to hold down as a team. We're pretty much there!! We just have to light the lamp some more.

....point is, we're not that far off, fellas. Defensively this team is very sound. We have to hold these players responsible for scoring at some point. The defensive strategy is pretty fuckin' solid....and as far as I'm concerned, that's the hardest part of the game to hold down as a team. We're pretty much there!! We just have to light the lamp some more.

I agree with this. Lighting the lamp would go a very long way towards feeling much better about our recent 3-4 game's worth of progress.

It seems like they've missed the net an insane number of times, even by Rangers standards, it's kind of ridiculous. Plus, they play too much on the perimeter. Their powerplays are basically a practice where they're passing the puck. All of it has been more maddening than ever this season.

Not to single you out, but this specific line has been used as a complaint even when the PP has been good so it's hard to take it seriously as an accurate assessment. There were times this PP was top 10 last year and this was still a common complaint.

Not to single you out, but this specific line has been used as a complaint even when the PP has been good so it's hard to take it seriously as an accurate assessment. There were times this PP was top 10 last year and this was still a common complaint.

That's fair, I guess. I mean, the PP was quite good last year, but they just don't seem as aggressive as they were last year. But, maybe it's just me. Plus, Zibanejad has really struggled, so that hasn't helped.