• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2020-21 — Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

Oh no, they gave up a goal on the PK.

The PK has been top 5 in the league all season. Buch and Zib kill ~46% of the time and Howden and Rooney kill ~39% of the time. Seems like they're pretty successful.

And Howden had a broken stick. Very cherry-picked example of a non-issue where a player is actually useful.

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Howden had a broken stick. Very cherry-picked example of a non-issue where a player is actually useful.

And, that broken stick is Quinn's responsibility to deal with, right? A good coach would always have his players checking their sticks at all times. He's clearly overmatched at this level.

:)

• Like 1

No. The point was that Gauthier can't play because he's not a typical 4th line plug. My point was that the Rangers clearly don't care about that. Kravstov is on the 4th line. Howden can easily be replaced by Gauthier. Howden being some kind PK wizard is just not an argument. He's more or less a space filler who can be replaced. When the Rangers are scored against on the PK, he's usually out there. He's a -29 in his career. So, pretending he's good at defense just doesn't align with what's true.

I don't really care about Gauthier at this point, but pretending he can't possibly play over Howden is just not reality. Previously it was that Gauthier can't play over Howden because well at least Howden win's faceoffs. Well, the guys not even playing center anymore. The Rangers were just fine when he had COVID. Howden offers basically nothing other than a warm body.

The way it's shaping up now, the seventh protected forward spot is a choice between Gauthier, Howden, Blackwell and Rooney. Conventional wisdom would be to protect Gauthier as the player with the highest upside, but the cult of Howden is so strong, I wouldn't bet on it.

When Billy Carroll scored one goal in a season for the Islanders, at least it wasn't a gratuitous gift from a teammate against an empty net.

The way it's shaping up now, the seventh protected forward spot is a choice between Gauthier, Howden, Blackwell and Rooney. Conventional wisdom would be to protect Gauthier as the player with the highest upside, but the cult of Howden is so strong, I wouldn't bet on it.

When Billy Carroll scored one goal in a season for the Islanders, at least it wasn't a gratuitous gift from a teammate against an empty net.

Howden would actually be the LAST guy listed here that I would keep protected, Sod. LOL

No. The point was that Gauthier can't play because he's not a typical 4th line plug. My point was that the Rangers clearly don't care about that. Kravstov is on the 4th line. Howden can easily be replaced by Gauthier. Howden being some kind PK wizard is just not an argument. He's more or less a space filler who can be replaced. When the Rangers are scored against on the PK, he's usually out there. He's a -29 in his career. So, pretending he's good at defense just doesn't align with what's true.

I don't really care about Gauthier at this point, but pretending he can't possibly play over Howden is just not reality. Previously it was that Gauthier can't play over Howden because well at least Howden win's faceoffs. Well, the guys not even playing center anymore. The Rangers were just fine when he had COVID. Howden offers basically nothing other than a warm body.

So your argument is that when they give a PP goal, one of their penalty killers is on the ice?

PK is 5th in the league.

Bergeron leads the Bruins with 10 PP goals scored against him in 89 minutes of PK time. He should give back all his Selkes since Howden sucks at the PK with 11 PP goals against in 82 minutes of PK.

So your argument is that when they give a PP goal, one of their penalty killers is on the ice?

PK is 5th in the league.

Bergeron leads the Bruins with 10 PP goals scored against him in 89 minutes of PK time. He should give back all his Selkes since Howden sucks at the PK with 11 PP goals against in 82 minutes of PK.

I normally agree with you, but you know you're making a disingenuous argument here. ;)

PK is 5th in the league.

Again. No. My argument is that he was not missed when he was out for two weeks with COVID. My argument is that he's replaceable, not only by Gauthier but by pretty much anyone. The PK didn't suffer without him. AT ALL. Again, he's not some defensive wizard, he's just a guy. 1g (empty net), 5 assists, -2. He barely exists, let alone contributes.

This idea that he's somehow carved out a role that no one else can do is utter nonsense. I feel like you know that too, I'm not sure why this is even a debate lol.

Kravtsov deserves that spot more than Gauthier.

How's that? He's played 13 games and has 3 points. On pace for the exact output as Gauthier, just with gifted icetime and a free pass up the lineup.

No matter, Give Kravtsov that spot and put Gauthier on the 4th line.

How's that? He's played 13 games and has 3 points. On pace for the exact output as Gauthier, just with gifted icetime and a free pass up the lineup.

I mean, Kravtsov is a 21-year old rookie and Gauthier is a 23-year old in his 3rd professional season. The eye test, both look good to be honest, but even on the fourth line Kravtsov is pushing Rooney/Howden's performance to actually control the puck in the offensive zone and on the cycle. From an advanced stats perspective, Kravtsov's Corsi For % of 49.8 is well above Gauthier's 45.7. Fenwick % for Kravtsov is 50.8 versus 46.9 for Gauthier. OnIce-GF:GA, Kravtsov is 1.0 and Gauthier 0.84.

I agree though, I'd rather have a 2nd line of Panarin, Strome, and Kravtsov with a 4th of Blackwell, Gauthier and Rooney.

I mean, Kravtsov is a 21-year old rookie and Gauthier is a 23-year old in his 3rd professional season. The eye test, both look good to be honest, but even on the fourth line Kravtsov is pushing Rooney/Howden's performance to actually control the puck in the offensive zone and on the cycle. From an advanced stats perspective, Kravtsov's Corsi For % of 49.8 is well above Gauthier's 45.7. Fenwick % for Kravtsov is 50.8 versus 46.9 for Gauthier. OnIce-GF:GA, Kravtsov is 1.0 and Gauthier 0.84.

I agree though, I'd rather have a 2nd line of Panarin, Strome, and Kravtsov with a 4th of Blackwell, Gauthier and Rooney.

Yeah, just by eye test, Kravtsov is the superior player. There used to be plenty of open spots to work with to get Gauthier more time, and he played quite well in the time he was given, but Quinn chose to bury him instead for most of those games. Agreed with you guys he is still a no brainer pick over Howden for the lineup, even if it's only 7 minutes a night.

Seattle or Gorton needs to take the coach's pet away before next season. Useless minutes for Howden at this point.

Hell yeah!

I'd like to see more Goat, and less Howdy Dooty!

Except there's no real point in playing Gauthier, who isn't very good in his own zone, for 9 minutes a night on the the line. So might as well stick with the guy who's been a main contributor on the league's 5th best PK.

I see your point, King. I feel like Goat could have a role on this team not too far down the road. He has good size, speed, and can go to the net. He's not the most skilled player, but I think they could put him out there a little more, if the Rangers get eliminated from playoff contention.

Howden reminds of Blair Betts. completely useless offensively, except BB was way better on draws and much superior PKer.

LOL. Translation: Howden reminds me of Blair Betts, except, bad at everything instead of just most things.

• Like 1