• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

No Toughness?

Lord Al

It was an unintentional play. What exactly are you supposed to retaliate to?

Agree. But we also knew this about them going into the season. Youngest team in the league. No grizzled vets. No cap space to upgrade.

There's gonna be nights where they get run over and there's gonna be nights they get smoked by the other team. That's just how it's gonna be.

Remember when the Rangers fans mocked the islanders for picking up all of those “shitty” players?

I’d love a goon, but it’s not necessary in this league. But the team needs to be tough to play against, and they’re not there.

But tough to judge off of that game. Let’s forget tonight happened.

It's not any one player, it's the group. They were soft last year, nothing has changed. Lee had his way all night, they all did, they got to the middle with impunity, high and low tip plays completely unimpeded the entire game. Two completely different mentalities.

Remember when the Rangers fans mocked the islanders for picking up all of those “shitty” players?

I’d love a goon, but it’s not necessary in this league. But the team needs to be tough to play against, and they’re not there.

But tough to judge off of that game. Let’s forget tonight happened.

However if their is a season you need some tough players, it would be this season. The hatred between the teams will build as the season goes on. Just imagine how much hatred will build come April when the Rangers/Devils are playing 4x in a row.

There was literally nothing that happened last night that made me wish Matt Martin was on our side.

It's really just a shame that guys like Trouba, Z and Kreider are so easy to play against at their size. Jesus, half the league is smaller than you, just lean on someone...

ADA, Lindgren and Lemieux are the only ones with a mean bone in their body and the league has an order to neuter Lemiuex.

There was literally nothing that happened last night that made me wish Matt Martin was on our side.

It's really just a shame that guys like Trouba, Z and Kreider are so easy to play against at their size. Jesus, half the league is smaller than you, just lean on someone...

ADA, Lindgren and Lemieux are the only ones with a mean bone in their body and the league has an order to neuter Lemiuex.

too bad they don't have the size

This team is still in transition ,we have skilled players ,most of them are very young and some size they are also very young ,it takes time to build a full squad ,we have the hardest pieces to get, good talented players ,now we need to build some grit

And probably ADA too, lol.

I was still hoping from energy from anyone.

They gave Deangelo an unsportsmanlike last night for an event you wouldn't get one for in Pee Wee. Both he and Lemieux are easy targets for officials.

Yeah those were both head scratchers. I don’t know if that was a case of the officials trying to assert themselves or a line for the rest of the year but those two specific penalties were ridiculous

Have to call it like I see it. Granted we are a young team and it is only game 1 with no pre season, HOWEVER, the Rangers were overmatched in every aspect of the game last night - it wasn't even close. Goaltending looks like it could be a huge issue, Shesty was awful last night. Conditioning looks to be a a huge issue as well, the Rangers looked slow afoot, almost as though they were skating in cement shoes. Part of the reason a team takes a lot of penalties is because the other guys are beating them to loose pucks, dominating them physically, and are just better prepared. Such was the case last night, as was the case in the Carolina series in July. Last night looked just like that series did. It appears as though this Ranger team severely lacks a real leader. Yes Mika and Artemi are great players, but there is no leadership there, you can see and feel it. Kreider? Big guy, talented guy, but not a leader, and definitely not a physical presence, even with that big body. A total enigma. Oh, I have to give honorable mention to the #2 overall pick last year. Good lord, he is not even an NHL caliber player at this time. How is it possible that every NHL scout was wrong about him? Everyone except the Devils I might add. I am really starting to if doubt we will ever see anything from him, but am willing to wait a few weeks /months this season to see if he turns into a real NHL player before using the "B" word. Maybe he should go down to the minors to play and get tougher as well as regain some confidence? Quinn is the Adam Gase of the NHL, and should have been gone after the Carolina disgrace. Last night we saw the difference in how a real coach prepares a team, it's like night & day. As I said, I know it is one game against a top team, but this Ranger team looked as though they had no training camp, and had just laced up the skates for the first time last night.

Islanders are a cup contender without a doubt. We are as far away from them as the Earth is from Pluto.

Yeah those were both head scratchers. I don’t know if that was a case of the officials trying to assert themselves or a line for the rest of the year but those two specific penalties were ridiculous

A lot of these officials are going to be reffing the same teams over and over, so they don't get a break from mouthyness and bad will may carry from game to game, same as with players. I don't mind the refs drawing that line on day 1.

Not an overreaction to think having Brian Boyle be your #4 center would be a good idea. And suspect Rooney isn't playing for a while anyway. Also a good faceoff guy on a team that's been bad at that.

No secret this is not a grinding team, but when their offense goes dead like vs. the Canes or last night, they need go straightforward go to the net play and compete for pucks. That was missing last night.

Small sample and all that; why is Quinn not getting through to these guys yet again about stop the pretty passing, take shots and go to the net? Looks like if you can defense the NYR big guns, there's no Plan B.

A lot of these officials are going to be reffing the same teams over and over, so they don't get a break from mouthyness and bad will may carry from game to game, same as with players. I don't mind the refs drawing that line on day 1.

I dont really mind it however I guess it might be better to have warnings. You want to call the one on ADA I wont eat your lunch for it. However, what's the point of promoting a season of rivalries and playoff like environment then give Lemieux a penalty for getting punched in the face? Takes away the point. He get under the skin of the Islanders thrn got penalized for generating a reaction.

Seemed way over the top there.

I dont really mind it however I guess it might be better to have warnings. You want to call the one on ADA I wont eat your lunch for it. However, what's the point of promoting a season of rivalries and playoff like environment then give Lemieux a penalty for getting punched in the face? Takes away the point. He get under the skin of the Islanders thrn got penalized for generating a reaction.

Seemed way over the top there.

I agree Keirik, the Lemeiux penalty was a shitty call.

I'm ok with them giving ADA the Unsportsmanlike for being a dick though. There's no one in the arena!! That door slam sounded like a bomb went off!! I was like "What the fuck was that!!!"...oh it's DeAngelo being a fucking jack off...gotcha!!!

ADA skated with the first group today normally the group that sits,. DQ not happy about the undisciplined penalty. When asked if that meant he was indeed sitting tomorrow his response was there would be more discussion about it.

I can't link the tweet for some reason, will try again later. I assume there's more than one undisciplined penalty that has him under DQs skin already. Especially when they were all shit.

ADA skated with the first group today normally the group that sits,. DQ not happy about the undisciplined penalty. When asked if that meant he was indeed sitting tomorrow his response was there would be more discussion about it.

I can't link the tweet for some reason, will try again later. I assume there's more than one undisciplined penalty that has him under DQs skin already. Especially when they were all shit.

I think his play had something to do with it too. ADA wasnt a guy I saw mentioned a lot during pre-season. Moving to the left side only lasted 2 days in camp. Last night he didnt do much to help his cause, offensively or defensively. I dont think it was demotion worthy when you look at everything, but, Quinn promotes himself as a communicator, and sometimes thats what it takes to get a players attention. Hopefully we see a bounce-back from all.

I agree Keirik, the Lemeiux penalty was a shitty call.

I'm ok with them giving ADA the Unsportsmanlike for being a dick though. There's no one in the arena!! That door slam sounded like a bomb went off!! I was like "What the fuck was that!!!"...oh it's DeAngelo being a fucking jack off...gotcha!!!

IDK Ozzy, he slammed the door ?!?!?!? This one on the refs being overly sensitive he's pissed can't call that.