• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The NEW Dinner Thread

4EverRangerFrank

This Hello Fresh rage is really starting to amuse me. People that have ate nothing but boxed, frozen garbage for decades now think they're chefs.

Even my wife has some on order for when I'm away. She can barely handle Kraft Dinner.

I get defensive about cooking, I spend way to much money on food and ingredients as it was, and now I find myself stepping my game up to compete with this fad.

For us Dunny, it's like taking two nights off (we ordered 2 meals for 4 per week) since we don't even have to think about what to make. We cook everything ourselves usually, but after all these months we were looking for a bit of a break. Did I mention our oldest is a vegetarian? And his brother a carnivore. So that adds to the prep work too. We agreed the other night do do another month and then replicate the recipes on our own.

This Hello Fresh rage is really starting to amuse me. People that have ate nothing but boxed, frozen garbage for decades now think they're chefs.

Even my wife has some on order for when I'm away. She can barely handle Kraft Dinner.

I get defensive about cooking, I spend way to much money on food and ingredients as it was, and now I find myself stepping my game up to compete with this fad.

My wife got a Hello Fresh box a few weeks ago. She cancelled. Her quote was: "I thought this came more prepared and ready to cook. It's just food I can get from the grocery store for cheaper."

She liked the recipe for what she got, so she kept that though.

You're paying for convenience, everything pre-measured and included, delivered to your door. It's got a pretty niche but large target audience of people who don't have time to shop but enjoy cooking and don't want a full pre-packaged meal.

We played around with a few that had coupon codes, but it was never going to be a long term thing. Sunday is food prep day where we make a bunch of stuff for the week. Egg muffins for breakfast, breakfast potatoes, lots of slow-cooker or insta-pot stuff that gets frozen of the next week or 2. Enough pancakes to get the kids through breakfast and snacks for the week. Once a month I make sauce.

Summer is easier when I can just grill a meat and veggies in a grill basket. Nothing needs to be prepared (marinate the meat in balsamic something or no sugar BBQ something).

I don't live to eat, I eat to live so I don't really care to have the same things for breakfast every day, dinner leftovers for lunch, etc. My wife is more of a foodie so when she wants to diversify, she's on her own.

I’ve been cooking since I was 14 so that’s over 30 years worth. I don’t need belle fresh specifically but we wanted to find a way for my wife to learn just freaking something. Woman can’t make cereal correctly. It’s just turned into me making them though lol but it definitely still helps in a busy world. Besides not being able to boil water she also doesn’t know how to make a freaking food decision ever.

Instead of spending 30 minutes discussing what we are going to eat each day, now at least 3 of the days we have it all set. The Wednesday before after dinner we just look at the following week choices and decide “together” from the 30 or so choices.

Speaking of food prep and all that, I’m going to start dry brining my chicken breasts before making grilled chicken. I’ve also seen a tip I might try but unsure about using Mayo instead of olive oil to grill the chicken. Supposed to help with browning. Anyone ever try?

Mayo works great. just make sure its a thin coat.

Chicken is becomes very tender and juicy.

I’ve been cooking since I was 14 so that’s over 30 years worth. I don’t need belle fresh specifically but we wanted to find a way for my wife to learn just freaking something. Woman can’t make cereal correctly. It’s just turned into me making them though lol but it definitely still helps in a busy world. Besides not being able to boil water she also doesn’t know how to make a freaking food decision ever.

Instead of spending 30 minutes discussing what we are going to eat each day, now at least 3 of the days we have it all set. The Wednesday before after dinner we just look at the following week choices and decide “together” from the 30 or so choices.

Speaking of food prep and all that, I’m going to start dry brining my chicken breasts before making grilled chicken. I’ve also seen a tip I might try but unsure about using Mayo instead of olive oil to grill the chicken. Supposed to help with browning. Anyone ever try?

Tonight is panko/frosted flake crusted chicken parmigiana. Don’t knock it, gives a nice twist and with the saltiness of the cheese, savory nature of the sauce, the added Frosted Flakes to the panko add a little something different. Definitely not traditional at all lol

Quick detour...Anyone watching Triple D Guy Fieri going back to spots he first visited years ago? Awesome how his original visit and subsequent broadcast really pushed already successful business further ahead. Damn nice to see. (For those of you in the Capital Region, I read he opened a 'virtual' restaurant site that does take-out only. A local kitchen in Cahoes (maybe) does the cooking of his recipes.) Anyone up there on to this?

Back to the thread, sorry 'bout that.

Quick detour...Anyone watching Triple D Guy Fieri going back to spots he first visited years ago? Awesome how his original visit and subsequent broadcast really pushed already successful business further ahead. Damn nice to see. (For those of you in the Capital Region, I read he opened a 'virtual' restaurant site that does take-out only. A local kitchen in Cahoes (maybe) does the cooking of his recipes.) Anyone up there on to this?

Back to the thread, sorry 'bout that.

As cheesy as it is sometimes I love that show. Was guy fieri for Halloween this year ?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Wanna hear something depressing? One time we were in NYC my brother and the wives made me eat at Guy's restaurant. Holy fuck.

Actually, I owe that guy a lot for getting me interested in food, even if it's McDonald's on steroids.

Glad you had a good time.

We were heading there too - I think it was located just off B'way near Times Square - and we skipped it after reading a few health citation reviews. My wife would not go inside.

Did Pork Diablo during the 3rd period today. Another Chef John masterpiece. Incredibly easy, company worthy, and cost about $15 for 4 servings.

Is there anyone else that you watch on YouTube? Lately I’ve been watching a few channels.

Binging with babish. https://www.youtube.com/user/bgfilms

SAM THE COOKING GUY https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbRj3Tcy1Zoz3rcf83nW5kw

Ethan Clebowski ( he looks like a douche but watch his dry brine chicken vid and it’ll change your life )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDq5v10l4wkV5-ZBIJJFbzQ

Thanks for those, I'll check all of them out.

I'm historically a cookbook guy, and primarily, a BBQ guy. This actual, indoor, cooking is fairly new to me, so I don't have much to add.

Steven Raichlen got me started years ago, and remains my god.

HeyGrillHey is a good one.

GrillingWithDad is another good one.

https://www.punchfork.com/

if you are ever looking for recipes. basically a feed of all the top food blogs/sites

You type whatever you want into the search bar and it comes up with all the top rated recipes that include that dish, ingredient, or equipment (crockpot, instantpot, etc.) or whatever else you search

Woah that’s a great site. Bookmarking. Great find