• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The NEW Dinner Thread

4EverRangerFrank

My latest fascination is making steaks in a super-hot, dry cast iron pan then finishing them in the oven. (I've been frustrated by the toughness of the free-range Australian meat we've been buying at ShopRite and cannot find a local source of aged beef.) Lately we've been buying the whole filet mignon and I trim and do my own 2-inch plus cuts. Salting the meat 1-3 hours before cooking them and allowing them to sit on a tray on the counter before cooking. Not quite sure how the process will work with ribeye's tonight, but I'm giving it a try.

1. Heat cast iron pan until 'smoking' hot. Test by tossing in a few drops of water and watch to see them dance on the surface. Make sure the pan is super hot.

2. Place steaks in pan and leave a bit of space between them (like when cooking scallops.) Leave 'em alone.

3. Using tongs, gently raise steaks from the surface. If they 'stick' they need more time. If they release easily, turn over in pan.

4. Put pan into a pre-heated 400-degree oven and monitor interior meat temperature.

I've found that the meat is always tender and moist. Maybe my grille skills suck, but I have never been able to achieve this level of crust, interior color and moistness like I have using this method. I watched plenty of YouTube on salting methods and stumbled upon this cooking method. If I had a commercial salamander-broiler at home capable of 1500-degrees life would be grand but that's not happening.

Anyone have other suggestions? @Dunny - Do you have a bearnaise sauce recipe?

Frank.. Just Google Chef John. Food wishes. I was always frustrated by hollandaise until I found his method it's foolproof.

As for your steaks, that's pretty interesting. I get what you're saying, I can't get my BBQ hot enough to sear how I'd like to. I'm going to pick up some grill grates to help that out.

Have you seen the fancy steak salamanders? They're a little cheaper and get stupid hot. I can't justify the purchase for a one trick pony, but you may want to check one out.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Otto-Wilde--Otto-Wilde-2Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-100011-L6173-K~DGXC1003.html?refid=GX160893920065-DGXC1003&device=m&ptid=908005779786&targetid=aud-833546694848:pla-908005779786&network=g&ireid=117931577&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB7_V9D5iTU7UV5U-FJ7KCVHkimYNVamhafx8POz6bI5ma0wFGkwnNRoCt6IQAvD_BwE

Something like that, but the options are limitless, I see plenty in the $400 US range.

I've been doing my filets like this, recently for New Year's eve surf+turf. I've even added asugar-free bacon wrap and 1 pat of grassfed butter right after the flip and give it a few spoons to bastes over before it goes in the oven. General rule has been 5-6 mins on one side, flip, few quick spoons of the melted butter, and 4 or so mins in the oven. Sometimes I'll do a cherry or balsamic glaze.

They come out perfectly, I don't see a reason to invest in anything else.

Frank.. Just Google Chef John. Food wishes. I was always frustrated by hollandaise until I found his method it's foolproof.

As for your steaks, that's pretty interesting. I get what you're saying, I can't get my BBQ hot enough to sear how I'd like to. I'm going to pick up some grill grates to help that out.

Have you seen the fancy steak salamanders? They're a little cheaper and get stupid hot. I can't justify the purchase for a one trick pony, but you may want to check one out.

https://www.wayfair.ca/Otto-Wilde--Otto-Wilde-2Burner-Propane-Gas-Grill-100011-L6173-K~DGXC1003.html?refid=GX160893920065-DGXC1003&device=m&ptid=908005779786&targetid=aud-833546694848:pla-908005779786&network=g&ireid=117931577&gclid=CjwKCAiAgJWABhArEiwAmNVTB7_V9D5iTU7UV5U-FJ7KCVHkimYNVamhafx8POz6bI5ma0wFGkwnNRoCt6IQAvD_BwE

Something like that, but the options are limitless, I see plenty in the $400 US range.

Lol love Chef John. His videos are great and recipes come out very good.

I?m all in to steaks, i can grill them when its sunny, rainy, cold..

1 1/2 steak

1. Mix soy souse with sweet baby rays bbq sauce

2. Pepper the steak

Let it sit in a ziplock bag for an hour, drop it on the grill. The grill needs to get really hot before you drop it.

When its cold, use a charcoal grill.

Today i decided to buy a Sturgeon fish, thinking what to do with it lol.

Naan is awesome. We made some at a friend's house (her's was amazing) and we've done it at home once with OK results. The real gift was going home with all of the spices for making marsala and a couple of other dishes which my wife has really perfected over the past few years.

Tonight's plan? I have no idea but my mom just dropped off quiche. Add some soup and salad and that might have become the new plan as I type this.

• Like 1

So tonight was an easy meal that sounded a lot more complicated

Chicken teriyaki soft tacos with apple cabbage slaw and grilled pineapple

Chicken thighs marinated in teriyaki sauce overnight. I go with this. It’s a mix of teriyaki and bbq https://bachans.com/

So so good. Grill that up, rest, slice it up. A little thin than other store bought teriyaki so after done, you may need to drizzle some more. Add some sesame seeds.

Same time, take sliced fresh pineapple, drizzle some honey, salt, lime juice, zest of the lime and grill as well.

Any store bought tri color cabbage and a good slaw dressing which is easy to google or go store bought. Mayo based just to cut down on the saltiness of teriyaki. Add one sliced apple ( I went with pink lady but in the past I’ve done Granny Smith of Fiji)

Shredded lettuce, small amount of cheese (I did double Gloucester, just something sharp) and drizzle a little sriracha if u like a tiny bit of spice. Perfect.

Chicken thighs marinated in teriyaki sauce overnight. I go with this. It’s a mix of teriyaki and bbq https://bachans.com/

So so good. Grill that up, rest, slice it up. A little thin than other store bought teriyaki so after done, you may need to drizzle some more. Add some sesame seeds.

Same time, take sliced fresh pineapple, drizzle some honey, salt, lime juice, zest of the lime and grill as well.

Any store bought tri color cabbage and a good slaw dressing which is easy to google or go store bought. Mayo based just to cut down on the saltiness of teriyaki. Add one sliced apple ( I went with pink lady but in the past I’ve done Granny Smith of Fiji)

Shredded lettuce, small amount of cheese (I did double Gloucester, just something sharp) and drizzle a little sriracha if u like a tiny bit of spice. Perfect.

Where was the invite?

Chicken thighs marinated in teriyaki sauce overnight. I go with this. It?s a mix of teriyaki and bbq https://bachans.com/

Any store bought tri color cabbage and a good slaw dressing which is easy to google or go store bought. Mayo based just to cut down on the saltiness of teriyaki. Add one sliced apple ( I went with pink lady but in the past I?ve done Granny Smith of Fiji)

God damn

• 2 weeks later...
busted out the pasta maker last night to make Mussels over pasta

made a fairly standard tomato sauce with a spicy kick to it, then you cook the Mussels in the sauce for like 5 minutes and serve over the pasta. fuckin delicious

Oh-man you made me want to grab a glass of wine and look for some tuscan bread. Geez that sounds great.

My wife made a linguine dish with rustic sauce having plenty of capers, kalamata olives and large chunks of tuna that comes jared and packed in olive oil. Too good!

Those of you who use cast iron skillets. Do you have any tips for cleaning them when there is shit really burnt/caked on? I tried rinsing with hot water and a brush. I have tried boiling water to help break it up and then scrubbing with salt/baking powder. Last night I did what I should never and used a metal spatula(it was round edged). That helped a lot but there is still a lot of shit left over. My next step is taking the wire brush attachment for my drill to it and grinding the pan down to nothing and restarting the seasoning process.