• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Won't Name Captain; Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba, Panarin Named Alternates

Phil

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, part of me genuinely wonders if they don't envision Lafreniere as the long-term option here. Zibanejad isn't signed long-term, and two of the guys who are — Trouba and Kreider — are unlikely to finish their deals here. I can't imagine they have any desire whatsoever to name another captain who may end up leaving or traded within a couple of seasons.

I mean, part of me genuinely wonders if they don't envision Lafreniere as the long-term option here. Zibanejad isn't signed long-term, and two of the guys who are — Trouba and Kreider — are unlikely to finish their deals here. I can't imagine they have any desire whatsoever to name another captain who may end up leaving or traded within a couple of seasons.

I can totally see them resigning Zibby...but even so, Lafreniere, I would think is going to be "THE FRANCHISE" for the next 10-12 years here, so why not give it to the kid when he's ready, and have some continuity with this team.

I said when we drafted Laf that he would be the Captain of the Rangers ;)

This almost confirms it. It would be weird to give it to one of those 4 next year. If they thought one of them was Captain material, they would've done it by now.

So who's Laf giving the cup to in 2022?

Dead on, Zuuuuc man!!!!

...a couple more seasons before we skate with the Holy Chalice, my man....but we'll get there!!! :thumbs:

People really get bent out of shape b/c of this?

Who cares? They going to play any different if they have 4 A's, Zib w/ the C, or Kreider w/ the C?

We all know Zib and Kreider are C worthy, and they'll work together as teammates to lead the team.

I don't think the NYR care what the fans think about the C, isn't it usually discussed between management and the players, and even sometimes voted on by the team who should wear the C?

Is someone going to be a sour puss on the ice b/c they don't have a C stitched on their jersey? If so, then they're not captain material.

• Like 1

If you read between the lines of some of Quinn's quotes, it sounds to me like they want to name a captain, probably Kreider... But they don't want Zib to get bent about it.

This was also my suspicion, though you can swap the names and have the same theory. Both guys might think they deserve it, and picking one might just cause discord or resentment for no reason.

Keep on keeping on without one.

If you read between the lines of some of Quinn's quotes, it sounds to me like they want to name a captain, probably Kreider... But they don't want Zib to get bent about it.

If that's the case, then I'd say they made the right call and who cares if there's no 'C'. Just have solid leadership from the core in the locker room and on the ice.

I think this one is pretty simple. There isn't an unquestionable leader in that locker room. And as long as that's the case you might as well roll with a set of alternates.

It reminds me of the period leading up the Messier trade. Always talk about who was going to be the captain. There were a bunch of good guys on that team like Graves, Leetch, Gartner etc. But no one really stood out as the clear leader of the group. Obviously, when Messier showed up that discussion was over.

So as long as there isn't anyone on the team who is the obvious choice it seems sensible to leave it. Just picking one for the sake of it could even be counter productive.

It's more symbolic than anything.

I actually buy what Kreider's selling here. Good teams require more than one leader - let it happen organically. Keep in mind that next years' team will likely be even younger than this one, why put undue burden on one person?

Someone will wear the C sooner or later, but there's no good reason to rush it.

Quinn has said, a few times, its time for guys to step up with Staal and Lundqvist gone. Said some guys were quiet, didnt want to step on toes - includes guys joining the team, but now its time for them to step up.

He reiterated it in last nights Town Hall discussion, too.

It's more symbolic than anything.

I actually buy what Kreider's selling here. Good teams require more than one leader - let it happen organically. Keep in mind that next years' team will likely be even younger than this one, why put undue burden on one person?

Someone will wear the C sooner or later, but there's no good reason to rush it.

JD said it generally doesn't make players better but it can make players worse if they're not ready or the right player.

I think that's absolutely true. Going back to Leetch, there's been a definite dip in play for almost everyone that was assigned the C. Even Jagr didn't want the pressure of it.