Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rangers Won't Name Captain; Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba, Panarin Named Alternates

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend

Rangers Won't Name Captain; Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba, Panarin Named Alternates

"Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Bank of Quinn BSBH Prospect
    I haven’t minded for the last two seasons but now it’s getting comical that they still refuse to name someone.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    I mean at some point you have to, no? By going another year without naming one you essentially are telling specifically Ziby and Kreider that you don’t think they are captain material and never will be.

Mr. Mojo Rising Midget Division
    Fuck it...They're reserving it for Lafreniere!! I get it now!

Senior Member Midget Division
    I wonder if that means that Hank was the unofficial captain these previous years and now they're trying to figure out who his replacement will be?

I mean, part of me genuinely wonders if they don't envision Lafreniere as the long-term option here. Zibanejad isn't signed long-term, and two of the guys who are — Trouba and Kreider — are unlikely to finish their deals here. I can't imagine they have any desire whatsoever to name another captain who may end up leaving or traded within a couple of seasons.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I mean, part of me genuinely wonders if they don't envision Lafreniere as the long-term option here. Zibanejad isn't signed long-term, and two of the guys who are — Trouba and Kreider — are unlikely to finish their deals here. I can't imagine they have any desire whatsoever to name another captain who may end up leaving or traded within a couple of seasons.
    I can totally see them resigning Zibby...but even so, Lafreniere, I would think is going to be "THE FRANCHISE" for the next 10-12 years here, so why not give it to the kid when he's ready, and have some continuity with this team.

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    I wonder if that means that Hank was the unofficial captain these previous years and now they're trying to figure out who his replacement will be?
    I tend to agree with this.

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    maybe the bigger issue is a player not stepping up?
    Bretty Pancakes for #AJT2020

- John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Bantam Division
    I tend to agree with this.

Senior Member Midget Division
    I said when we drafted Laf that he would be the Captain of the Rangers

This almost confirms it. It would be weird to give it to one of those 4 next year. If they thought one of them was Captain material, they would've done it by now.

So who's Laf giving the cup to in 2022?

Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    I said when we drafted Laf that he would be the Captain of the Rangers

This almost confirms it. It would be weird to give it to one of those 4 next year. If they thought one of them was Captain material, they would've done it by now.

So who's Laf giving the cup to in 2022?
    Dead on, Zuuuuc man!!!!

...a couple more seasons before we skate with the Holy Chalice, my man....but we'll get there!!!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    If you read between the lines of some of Quinn's quotes, it sounds to me like they want to name a captain, probably Kreider... But they don't want Zib to get bent about it.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    People really get bent out of shape b/c of this?
    Who cares? They going to play any different if they have 4 A's, Zib w/ the C, or Kreider w/ the C?
    We all know Zib and Kreider are C worthy, and they'll work together as teammates to lead the team.
    I don't think the NYR care what the fans think about the C, isn't it usually discussed between management and the players, and even sometimes voted on by the team who should wear the C?
    Is someone going to be a sour puss on the ice b/c they don't have a C stitched on their jersey? If so, then they're not captain material.

I get it, that captains aren't really THAT important for the players, but by not assigning one for three god damn years it's making this a bigger issue than it needs to be.

Just fucking nominate someone and move on.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    I get it, that captains aren't really THAT important for the players, but by not assigning one for three god damn years it's making this a bigger issue than it needs to be.

Just fucking nominate someone and move on.
    I think its the fans and Larry Brooks making it a bigger issue.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If you read between the lines of some of Quinn's quotes, it sounds to me like they want to name a captain, probably Kreider... But they don't want Zib to get bent about it.
    This was also my suspicion, though you can swap the names and have the same theory. Both guys might think they deserve it, and picking one might just cause discord or resentment for no reason.

Keep on keeping on without one.

#68 Яромир Ягр Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    If that's the case, then I'd say they made the right call and who cares if there's no 'C'. Just have solid leadership from the core in the locker room and on the ice.

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I think this one is pretty simple. There isn't an unquestionable leader in that locker room. And as long as that's the case you might as well roll with a set of alternates.
    It reminds me of the period leading up the Messier trade. Always talk about who was going to be the captain. There were a bunch of good guys on that team like Graves, Leetch, Gartner etc. But no one really stood out as the clear leader of the group. Obviously, when Messier showed up that discussion was over.
    So as long as there isn't anyone on the team who is the obvious choice it seems sensible to leave it. Just picking one for the sake of it could even be counter productive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast