• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Won't Name Captain; Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba, Panarin Named Alternates

Phil

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe they did it so no one needs to step up and lead by example? All 4 A’s were brutal yesterday.

?More than one leader? can very easily turn into ?no leaders?.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I agree with this completely. We have this issue at work when we talk about people "leading" this or that. Everyone isn't a leader, and when you try to make everyone a leader, you have no leaders.

It's damaging to not recognize the leaders who are actually leading, from everyone else.

That's what we have here.

Leading by committee only works with individuals whom possess leadership qualities. The work horse whom is a good example to follow isn't necessarily a leader. The leading scorer is not necessarily a good leader.

I dont see much of an outspoken individual whom holds his teammates accountable in this group.

Someone better step up and fill the role or this bottom of the barrel mediocrity will continue.

The comment that it is more for the fans is a sign that he isnt leading anything.

• 2 weeks later...
Absolutely the wrong decision. This team is a rudderless boat, no one wants to put it on their back.

And it might be because the 4 As feel snubbed of the C or lack confidence because it was determined they're not C material.

Or there just isn't one on the team. I think that's more likely than anything.

Coach said "prove it" and no one has. If you were the captain, you'd take the wheel - not be butt hurt because no one recognized it in you.

Or there just isn't one on the team. I think that's more likely than anything.
Could be.

Coach said "prove it" and no one has. If you were the captain, you'd take the wheel - not be butt hurt because no one recognized it in you.
Nah, I don't think that's true at all. It's not about being butt hurt.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this.

Step 1 in this new "Drury era" should be to name a Captain. Its getting kinda ridiculous not having a Captain for so long and switching around the A's all the time. Feels like a U10 pee wee team. Passing around the letters so no one starts to cry.

The lack of leadership was fairly obvious this season. Kreider and Zib both disappeared during the season and showed absolutely no leadership when things got rough (Kreids was injured, but still). Panarin is a midget that barely speaks english, he only has an A because he's the star, I guess thats fair. Obviously no Captain, but he can have an A.

So only Trouba left from the "leadership group" from this season that showed anything resembling leadership. Not much, but more than the rest, and arguably his absence showed it more than when he actually played. Factor in he will likely continue to get less and less icetime and could very well be gone in a few years.

I still stand by my orginally thought of Laf as Captain. Didnt start the season well, but as he progressed through the season I did see more of a "leader" in him. Seems to get a long well with everyone, he demands a lot from himself (and his teammates) and I really think he could develop a "mean streak" and be really good "lead by example" type of Captain.

What other options are there? Obviously trade/FA, but would that fit well with this group? A new guy coming in and "taking over" this team? I could see Kreids and Mika cry over that.

Lindgren? Fox?

3rd season in a row without a Captain?

Bumping this.

Step 1 in this new "Drury era" should be to name a Captain. Its getting kinda ridiculous not having a Captain for so long and switching around the A's all the time. Feels like a U10 pee wee team. Passing around the letters so no one starts to cry.

The lack of leadership was fairly obvious this season. Kreider and Zib both disappeared during the season and showed absolutely no leadership when things got rough (Kreids was injured, but still). Panarin is a midget that barely speaks english, he only has an A because he's the star, I guess thats fair. Obviously no Captain, but he can have an A.

So only Trouba left from the "leadership group" from this season that showed anything resembling leadership. Not much, but more than the rest, and arguably his absence showed it more than when he actually played. Factor in he will likely continue to get less and less icetime and could very well be gone in a few years.

I still stand by my orginally thought of Laf as Captain. Didnt start the season well, but as he progressed through the season I did see more of a "leader" in him. Seems to get a long well with everyone, he demands a lot from himself (and his teammates) and I really think he could develop a "mean streak" and be really good "lead by example" type of Captain.

What other options are there? Obviously trade/FA, but would that fit well with this group? A new guy coming in and "taking over" this team? I could see Kreids and Mika cry over that.

Lindgren? Fox?

IMO, if there was a leader, they would have been named captain years ago.

Putting a letter on a jersey doesnt make someone a leader.

Leaders don't not lead because a veteran player is also in the lockerroom (the excuse they used when Staal and Lundqvist were around).

I got this Zuuuc man! :D

LOL

IMO, if there was a leader, they would have been named captain years ago.

Putting a letter on a jersey doesnt make someone a leader.

Leaders don't not lead because a veteran player is also in the lockerroom (the excuse they used when Staal and Lundqvist were around).

Yeah, I said something like that earlier in this thread

Or maybe they did it so no one needs to step up and lead by example? All 4 A?s were brutal yesterday.

?More than one leader? can very easily turn into ?no leaders?.

It certainly feels like there's a lack of real leader in this group, but they need someone. Going into the 3rd season in a row without a Captain is a problem.

I think it's one of the main problems with the Rangers. They have very little to no leadership at all.

We have skill....

We have talent...

We have no.....MARBLES!!!!

(Anyone got that Pedro Cerrano .gif?) :rofl:

Wait....Here we go:

• Like 1

Bumping this.

Lindgren? Fox?

Good bump. I've been thinking about this too. I think it comes down to Trouba, Lafreniere, or whatever vet they sign. This isn't Drury's call though. This will be the new coaches call. Kinda makes me feel like Quinn didn't have the balls to hurt guys feelings.

Say what you will about Trouba, but him getting hurt on the Martin hit is what sucked the life out of the team. He's clearly important to the squad. I would not be opposed to him being named 'C' At all. I agree though, someone needs to step up and earn the C and its time to name one. If it takes giving the C to someone and hoping they rise to the occasion, so be it.

This is yet another reason why I’d be all for someone (or more?) like Getzlaf. There isn’t a true leader in that room that is filled with kids. Sure, we can wait for someone like Lafreniere to mature and plant a ‘C’ on him, but wouldn’t you feel more comfortable if he had someone with leadership qualities to learn from?

I don't think it was a lack of leadership in the players, but more of a fucked up season this year. Between the ADA/Gergiev fight, Panarin having his issue, injuries and Covid, I think it just took a toll on the team as a whole. For years we've heard how great Kreider and Zib are in the locker room, I don't think you lose it. I think there is a lot of good leadership in that locker room. Kreider, Zib, Fox, Laf, Trouba. Anyone of them I would be fine with giving the C to.

I don't think it was a lack of leadership in the players, but more of a fucked up season this year. Between the ADA/Gergiev fight, Panarin having his issue, injuries and Covid, I think it just took a toll on the team as a whole. For years we've heard how great Kreider and Zib are in the locker room, I don't think you lose it. I think there is a lot of good leadership in that locker room. Kreider, Zib, Fox, Laf, Trouba. Anyone of them I would be fine with giving the C to.

Yeah, this year was a toss.......til Dolan decided to blow shit up. Timing couldn't have been worse. Should have just waited til the first half of next season (hopefully played normally) and see how things progressed. The team played in a tough realigned division and showed promise, atleast at times. I'm hoping they do name a C next year just in a way to stabilize the organization a bit in the wake of the Dolan bomb.

Laf is definitely the guy who's going to get it but it has to be tough for him to walk into a room of veterans who have been with the team for a bit and take over the leadership role. I feel like every other young captain that was named was on a team with no allstars or long tenured vets

Laf is definitely the guy who's going to get it but it has to be tough for him to walk into a room of veterans who have been with the team for a bit and take over the leadership role. I feel like every other young captain that was named was on a team with no allstars or long tenured vets

Let him earn it first

You might think so, but not always!

Crosby was named Captain on a team that had Mark Recchi, Sergei Gonchar, and Gary Roberts

Toews was named captain on a team that had mostly veteran goalies (Bulin Wall, Huet), but also had Sopel, Campbell, Sharp, and Havlat (good Havlat)

McDavid on a team with Eberle and Lucic

Landeskog on a team with Hejduk and Stastny

It's a little hit or miss.

Let him earn it first

He might be closer than we think, to be honest. It's very, very clear how highly the team thinks of him. He does seem to have captaincy/leadership qualities.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's named captain in the next two seasons, if not sooner - especially if his game rises to it.

He might be closer than we think, to be honest. It's very, very clear how highly the team thinks of him. He does seem to have captaincy/leadership qualities.

I wouldn't be shocked if he's named captain in the next two seasons, if not sooner - especially if his game rises to it.

I'm jumping on that train of thought right there, G man.

I'm jumping on that train of thought right there, G man.

The team unilaterally praises him. They talk about his personality being endlessly positive, infectious, that he loves the game, wants to win - that's actually the foundation for a really good leader.