• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Keith Yandle Available For Trade, Will Not Play For Panthers This Season

Phil

The Florida Panthers have made the major decision to move away from one of their veteran leaders. Appearing on TSN?s ?Insider Trading?, Frank Seravalli states that the Panthers have told Keith Yandle that he is not in their plans for this season. This appears to be a mere personnel choice for Florida and new GM Bill Zito, as Seravalli reports that he has simply ?fallen out of favor?.

However, Yandle?s current contract ? a seven-year, $44.5MM pact with three years remaining ? contains a full No-Movement Clause. He cannot be placed on waivers without his permission, nor can he be traded without approving the deal. As a result, the only plan for now appears to be making him a healthy scratch. While this will sadly mean the end of Yandle?s NHL-best 866-game ?iron man? consecutive games played streak, he will still be a member of the team getting paid in full for his (lack of) services. That clearly cannot last for the Panthers.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/01/keith-yandle-available-for-trade-will-not-play-for-panthers-this-season.html

What a stupid decision to do right now with the season about to start. To announce it like this and announce they won't play him? How does that not handcuff the team and also a, very bad look considering his iron man streak?

Unless I'm missing something here and he in fact is having an affair with quenvilles daughter?

What a stupid decision to do right now with the season about to start. To announce it like this and announce they won't play him? How does that not handcuff the team and also a, very bad look considering his iron man streak?

Unless I'm missing something here and he in fact is having an affair with quenvilles daughter?

They're using the iron man streak as leverage. Waive the NTC, or don't play. It's shitty. He's played well for them.

They're using the iron man streak as leverage. Waive the NTC, or don't play. It's shitty. He's played well for them.

Might have made sense to make this decision say, a month or two ago. Even though movement won have been slow, teams would probably have inquired,,like maybe a Boston.

I don't think this is all that surprising. I read somewhere that he was demoted to the 3rd pair in camp. Sounds like Q has no time for him.

Also, the way they're handling it, it sounds like something must have happened or else you'd think they just let him

Salary aside, there are gonna be worse guys to have on your third pair.

Even without this becoming public, it's hard to move that contract without taking one back. Now it'll be next to impossible to not take back a problem contract, let alone any value to help the organization

If I'm Yandle, I show up to practice every day. If they don't want you on the ice, you get in the weight room and keep being ready to play. Show up to any game in a suit and tie, ready to be a healthy scratch. Just don't give them a reason to say you are violating your contract.

I'm curious as to why they are so down on him, as he got pretty universally good reviews last year. All this based on a poor 10 day training camp? Whatever. I'd only do Smith for Yandle with 50% retention on Yandle's contract. I think if he waived the NMC clause it would be waived for good, but I'm not sure about that.

I think the point still kind of stands. It was pretty classless to do regardless of anything. There have never really been many reports of Yandle not being a great player, teammate,, reliable, so I don't know why on earth the Panthers would ever have taken this stand in the first place days before the season started. They had all off-season to figure this out.

After his streak is over, what a gutless thing to do.

EDIT: didn't realize the streak is still alive.

I did the exact same thing :rofl:

Luckily I had seen something in fantasy hockey earlier, so it was it was only a few inappropriate comments before double checking

I think the point still kind of stands. It was pretty classless to do regardless of anything. There have never really been many reports of Yandle not being a great player, teammate,, reliable, so I don't know why on earth the Panthers would ever have taken this stand in the first place days before the season started. They had all off-season to figure this out.

After reading the comments from the fans in the tweet above, it sounds like he sucks now (again) defensively.

Such a crap franchise. The better organizations in the league would not have taken a stand like this, and if they did, they wouldn't have immediately reversed course. All they succeeded in doing was make him less tradeable. In most situations like this, the player has gone off a cliff much more than Yandle has (guys like Redden and Ryan).