• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

[RS] (#1) Rangers vs. New York Islanders // Release the Mantis!

Phil

The Islanders played 22 games between August 1 and September 17. We played three games between August 1 and August 4. I think that had a lot to do with what we saw tonight (and may see for the first third of the year).

The officials were certainly rusty as well. You can watch every minute of an 82 game regular season and not see goaltender interference as blatant as the play on which Eberle took out Sheshty. But somehow it was a good goal until the challenge and replay.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree, don't think quinn works.for.thia club.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Made the same mistake with Herb Brooks in the 80's: you can't hire a College coach, thinking it would translate to the NHL, when it didn't with Brooks and hasn't worked with Quinn so far. The best College coach who made his way to the NHL was "Badger" Bob Johnson, and it helped that he had two generational talents in Jagr and Lemieux when he was in Pittsburgh.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

At home? Wtf lmao the arena was empty.

It was the 11pm time slot at Chelsea Piers.

Man that was impressive opening night at home and your shut out. 18 minutes of the 60 in the box. New season same d dead coaching plan and not even ready to play!

Made the same mistake with Herb Brooks in the 80's: you can't hire a College coach, thinking it would translate to the NHL, when it didn't with Brooks and hasn't worked with Quinn so far. The best College coach who made his way to the NHL was "Badger" Bob Johnson, and it helped that he had two generational talents in Jagr and Lemieux when he was in Pittsburgh.

Sent from my SM-S367VL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Or maybe this team is rebuilding..

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

:rolleyes:

"Hasn't worked" meaning what? They haven't won the cup?

Well, it's a little late to debate the Herb Brooks era, but he did quite well relative to the personnel he had. His teams were fairly competitive against an Islander's squad with vastly superior players. His smurfs beat the bigger tougher Flyers a few years running. I certainly wouldn't say his teams underachieved.

Well, it's a little late to debate the Herb Brooks era, but he did quite well relative to the personnel he had. His teams were fairly competitive against an Islander's squad with vastly superior players. His smurfs beat the bigger tougher Flyers a few years running. I certainly wouldn't say his teams underachieved.
Thank you. Sometimes I need to learn about how we really were in the 80's without getting over the hump before 1994.

There was nothing good about last night, so will go with the obvious.

Zib looked like he missed camp with COVID. Kreider and Buch need him, or they disappear.

Kakko blew several golden opportunities but at least he got opportunities. Strome and Panarin were meh.

Third line looked like they just met each other before the game.

Fourth line...who cares.

Trouba was in mid-season form of just a guy, K'Andre clearly not ready for the speed of the NHL game. Might need to watch how plays develop from the pressbox and get that bird's eye view.

Fox and Lindgren weren't noticeable, which I guess is OK in a game like this.

ADA also in mid season form with his tantrums, Johnson was whatever but he played 20 minutes but 7+ on the PK which is his job. Stay out of the box. Also didn't help that K'Andre wasn't up to the task last night, made the left side a gamble. Would much rather see Smith dressing as a forward who's able to cover the D should K'Andre need to ride the pine instead of giving JJ more minutes.

Now...Shesty...was terrible. Just one game, so it's a nothingburger.

Johnson should only dress if 12 D man before him are unavailable. I can live with a rookie making mistakes. A guy whose game is clearly long gone doesn't learn from mistakes, he just makes more and more of them.

This was a utter shit show in all aspects of the game.. Players, coaches.. hell, I'm sure the training staff even had a terrible game.

Yuck.. Gargle, rinse, and spit this shit taste out and move on to game 2. I had a feeling 54-0 was a bit optimistic to begin with.

We saw a bit of this last year. The Rangers play the beautiful game. That's going to be hard to do with no camp. All their offence is dependent on ticky tacky, cutsie wootsie passes, and finness. It's going to take time tonget back to that, and you look like fools against a heavy north/south team like the Islanders, who have played a lot more hockey recently.

The D corp is shitty, and their forwards don't help much, hopefully Shesterkin/Georgiev is able to paper that over to some degree, but I don't think the problem was Lindy Ruff.

We saw a bit of this last year. The Rangers play the beautiful game. That's going to be hard to do with no camp. All their offence is dependent on ticky tacky, cutsie wootsie passes, and finness. It's going to take time tonget back to that, and you look like fools against a heavy north/south team like the Islanders, who have played a lot more hockey recently.

The D corp is shitty, and their forwards don't help much, hopefully Shesterkin/Georgiev is able to paper that over to some degree, but I don't think the problem was Lindy Ruff.

The problem with this is there's no time to wait for that to come back. It's why Brooks has been beating the drum of adding more meat and potatoes. Meat and potatoes is boring, but efficient. In games like last night's, when all your top guys take the night off, they're the difference between a 4-0 loss and maybe a 2-1 win.

What's worse, the meat and potatoes they do have are baby potatoes and a slice of prison baloney.

The problem with this is there's no time to wait for that to come back. It's why Brooks has been beating the drum of adding more meat and potatoes. Meat and potatoes is boring, but efficient. In games like last night's, when all your top guys take the night off, they're the difference between a 4-0 loss and maybe a 2-1 win.

What's worse, the meat and potatoes they do have are baby potatoes and a slice of prison baloney.

Yeah, agreed, they're likely to get buried in the standing before they're firing on all cylinders.

A lot of that play will come back once theyre legs get going. Hopefully.

First, they have to get into Quinns style of N-S play, hard on the puck, supporting, etc.

Last year, that started slow with everyone white knuckling their sticks. That wasn't last night. They looked really slow. Really slow. Watching the Rangers last night, then seeing the McDavid goal (2nd goal), I couldnt even keep up with him watching because I was used to watching the Rangers.

[video=youtube;At-vJfXFUBc]

• Like 1

Yeah, agreed, they're likely to get buried in the standing before they're firing on all cylinders.
Agreed, and it seems as if their lines are all constructed the same way.

Straightforward game

Kreider

Strome

Gauthier

High skill line driver

Zib

Panarin

Laf

Soft finesse

Buch

Kakko

Chytil

Maybe load up skill on some lines and heavy hockey as a change of pace.

I can see them swapping Kreider and and Laffy and that third line become a big, fast, cycle line vs the first two lines who'd play off the rush a bit more.

A lot of that play will come back once theyre legs get going. Hopefully.

First, they have to get into Quinns style of N-S play, hard on the puck, supporting, etc.

Last year, that started slow with everyone white knuckling their sticks. That wasn't last night. They looked really slow. Really slow. Watching the Rangers last night, then seeing the McDavid goal (2nd goal), I couldnt even keep up with him watching because I was used to watching the Rangers.

[video=youtube;At-vJfXFUBc]

Groton should be monitoring new coaches right now for hire for next year

Agreed, and it seems as if their lines are all constructed the same way.

Straightforward game

Kreider

Strome

Gauthier

High skill line driver

Zib

Panarin

Laf

Soft finesse

Buch

Kakko

Chytil

Maybe load up skill on some lines and heavy hockey as a change of pace.

I can see them swapping Kreider and and Laffy and that third line become a big, fast, cycle line vs the first two lines who'd play off the rush a bit more.

Was thinking the exact same thing RE: Laf-Kreider. I think it might even be something you can do throughout the year based on games/opponents.

My weekly requirement to say Lafreniere does better with Lefties on his line. Putting him with Zibanejad might not necessarily work. My lines from the summer:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko

Panarin - Strome - Howden (or Gauthier)

Lafreniere - Chytil - Buchnevich