• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Evander Kane Files for Bankruptcy with $26.8 Million in Debt

Phil

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's that even mean? They're buying him out? He's actually having a good year.

No, this would be contract termination. Mutually agreed upon, is my guess. I haven't had a chance to read the article fully yet.

Wow! This is not an option available to 99.9% of people heading through bankruptcy. When have you ever heard of an employer terminating your future salary like it reads in this instance? I'm not an attorney but me thinks a shrewd attorney dreamed up this scheme and it will likely work to discharge the preponderance of his debt...as long as the employer is a willing participant. Holy smoke. Court actions amaze me.

Wow! This is not an option available to 99.9% of people heading through bankruptcy. When have you ever heard of an employer terminating your future salary like it reads in this instance? I'm not an attorney but me thinks a shrewd attorney dreamed up this scheme and it will likely work to discharge the preponderance of his debt...as long as the employer is a willing participant. Holy smoke. Court actions amaze me.

that's some bullsh!t if that's the case and it sure smells like it.

• 2 weeks later...

Evander Kane files motion claiming lenders wishes violate 13th Amendment

Evander Kane's bankruptcy case took another turn Thursday night as the San Jose Sharks winger filed a petition claiming his creditors' attempts to convert his case violated the 13th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution's prohibition against involuntary servitude.

Five lenders, including Zions Bancorp., are seeking to convert Kane's case under the bankruptcy code from Chapter 7, which would only force him to pay creditors using current assets, to Chapter 11, which would place the remaining years of his Sharks contract under their control and allow them to garnish his wages.

https://theathletic.com/news/evander-kane-files-motion-claiming-lenders-wishes-would-violate-13th-amendment/W44kVAy304GG

You can only garnish a certain amount of wages...

unless he really fucked up his contract when negotiating. 1099 contractors can have everything and anything garnished when they owe the government money, but still not all if its a private lender.