• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kids Activities/Sports

jsm7302

What kinds of activities do you guys have your kids enrolled in?

I've got 3 young kids, 2 girls and a boy. I want to get them involved in some things so they can discern which activities they enjoy and want to continue further.

So far the wife and I have brainstormed playing an instrument, girl/boy scouts, gymnastics, jiu jitsu, sports.

I dont know what we will end up signing them up for but coming from a family that didn't have much $$ growing up, I want to give them every opportunity to try things. Looking forward to hearing some thoughts from you guys.

My daughter hates pretty much all activities except for dance. Tried soccer, tae kwon do, gymnastics....asked if she?s be interested in softball, hockey and that?s a no go. I don?t know why she is not interested in participating in sports especially since that?s all i watch, my wife watches, she?s started going to sporting events from 11 months old, loves going to games with us. I think it might be she doesn?t like the ?pressure? or failing. So, moral of the story, don?t push so hard, they may eventually find something that they will enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Try a bunch of them. Use things like Facebook and Groupon to find deals or free sessions, "Try Hockey for free day", or a lacrosse clinic for $30 that comes with a stick, etc. Kids might not like it immediately, and you're not committed to an entire season, nor do you have to buy equipment. They'll eventually decide what they like after trying a bunch.

Kids should play multiple sports. 1 should be athletic/cardiovascular and 1 with hand-eye coordination.

You don't want that kid that swims and skis but can't catch a ball. And you don't want to end up with the fat catcher that plays offensive line.

And don't forget about yourselves as parents. Do you want to spend hours upon hours at dance recitals? Tball games? Be a little selfish. Your money and your time - unless they're incredibly talented at that sport or its the only thing they're interested in.

Music is always a good option. I played in band and orchestra throughout my school years and recall most vividly getting totally lost in the orchestra music. Whenever we practiced or performed shows it transported me to places otherworldly. Geeky? Maybe so but I really liked how the instruments would ?talk? to one another throughout the piece we were playing.

I realized typing this that maybe I?ve found why Grateful Dead jam-band style has become some of my most favorite things to listen to (and Pink Floyd) because of that transportive quality.

I had two in hockey. Well, one in hockey and one in learn to skate/hockey intro. That's all on hold.

Daughter is in dance, and is, unfortunately, quite good at it. Dance is incredibly expensive at competitive levels. It's actually quite fucking insane. Good news is that she's dead set on playing hockey, so should have three in hockey next year.

Summer is a bit lame. Soccer is lame as hell, and baseball seems too tedious to learn. It's a commitment, though I'll probably have two in baseball this coming summer as well lol.

Golf is another I'm going to start pushing hard to my entire family. It happens on your schedule, and it's a life long adventure.

Was just gonna ask about golf. Golf can be expensive, but for kids it's not bad - at least recreationally there are tons of deals because places want kids playing. If they start getting competitive, I can see it really adding up though as with most things.

I like the idea of activities that I can control and not have it be a huge commitment with time and travel. Skiing, golf and music all seem to be fitting.

My daughter tried dance and didn't love it. She liked cheerleading and wants to try gymnastics. My son wants to play hockey and tried soccer but didn't love it.

I'm not really comfortable with anything inside at this point but plan to sign my son up for t ball this spring.

My girls were doing various "non competitive" sports at the Y pre-Covid. Then we cancelled our membership unfortunately for the time being. Other than that, my 5th grader has been playing violin for a few years. We also do private lessons for her and she really is excelling for her age which is great to see. My younger daughter is in girl scouts. My older one was in that for a few years but found it boring and wanted out.

Was just gonna ask about golf. Golf can be expensive, but for kids it's not bad - at least recreationally there are tons of deals because places want kids playing. If they start getting competitive, I can see it really adding up though as with most things.

If you're OK with playing a goat track, with crappy used equipment, which is what we'd do, golf is actually not really that bad. Between dance/hockey I'm pushing $600/month, and that doesn't include equipment, gas, etc.

You can play a lot of golf for that.

Is everything not shut down there? LMAO. You guys keep rolling, and we're getting state enforced curfews, schools are closed, there's not a single activity available to do.

We were at friends on the lake this weekend playing shinny for hours, that's about all they get. We were half worried the cops were going to show up and arrest us, which has happened. Don't laugh.

Is everything not shut down there? LMAO. You guys keep rolling, and we're getting state enforced curfews, schools are closed, there's not a single activity available to do.

We were at friends on the lake this weekend playing shinny for hours, that's about all they get. We were half worried the cops were going to show up and arrest us, which has happened. Don't laugh.

Most was shut down last summer. In fall, most started coming back with the necessary precautions. Hockey rinks were the first to re-open in my area. Late June. No masks when on the ice.

Youth hockey in NY isnt allowing games. "Scheduled practices" and "learning practices" are the terms used this season. No play between teams, so no league games. So they are between teams within the same organization. Travel teams are going out of state for tournaments, but a lot of that slowed around Thanksgiving.

Other kids activities in the area didnt require masks (for kids) until the last month or so.

I am older than most of you.

My son is a senior in college; this was supposed to be his final year of NCAA D2 football. His conference is trying to schedule a spring season of 6-8 in conference games, but this would not be sanctioned by the NCAA and there would be no championship tournament. Which is the way most "club" sports work in the US. Rugby for example. but remains to be seen if that will happen.

We do have some fun taking our other older son and wife's 3 year old daughter to museums and musical things. Many are open in the NYC area. We took her to the Brooklyn Children's Museum last weekend. It isn't free, but it's not expensive and it's 2-hour sessions after which they sterilize the place before the next session. This is also true of the Bronx Zoo and NY Aquarium. Check these places on line to see when and if they're open, limitations , and ticket information. Anyone over 3 has to wear a mask, of course.

NYC Parks courses are open and pretty reasonable. but the weather is hit or miss.

Reading this thread almost gave me a panic attack, thanks. My son will be 4 in July and my daughter 2 in April. As it is I feel terrible that we haven't gotten them into anything yet. I have no clue how we're going to be able to handle taking them from this to that with the work schedules my wife and I both have.

No things until COVID is over. Then martial arts and seasonal... Things where concussion risk is minimalized.

This. There's a great marital arts place right by us I want to get Owen enrolled in, but not until after Covid. From that point, we'll try other things like soccer to see if he likes anything.

As a parent who had 2 sons in T-ball, little league, karate, guitar, roller and ice hockey, CYO hoops, Pop Warner and then HS football, track&field and lax, think it's a shame that there aren't work arounds with precautions. Did notice the martial arts place near our house is having classes but parents have to wait outside. Kids are missing out and not sure they're ever getting those experiences back, to say nothing of socializing with their friends and competing with and meeting new kids . Get us the goddamn vaccine already!

My parents didn't have much $$ growing up so I only got to play roller hockey. I loved it and was grateful for the opportunity to play. I still play inline to this day and I'm in my mid 30's now.

I always thought if I had a son, I would undoubtedly get him into ice and give him every opportunity to succeed and take it as far as his talent and work ethic would allow. Now that he is turning 5 and the past year was a wash due to COVID, im not sure I want to make the commitment of all weekends and weekdays heading to the rink for practices, games and tournaments.

Talk me into it or talk me out of it...either way. I wanna hear what you all have to say about your experiences.

Look, there's a selfish aspect to hockey, in particular. There is where I'm from, anyways. It's a social club all on its own for the parents, and your kid will make all kinds of friendships.

My kid is no good, I played junior as a 14 year old. I was initially aghast that he sucked, and at times I was ashamed of him. He's ultimately proven me to be a total moron, and I'm very proud when I watch him now. His love for the game is different than mine, but he does love it, and that's going to stay with him forever. It's not all about the level you're playing, or what club you made, it's really all about getting up to make him breakfast before a tourney, the drives, the hotel hockey, and the bonding we wouldn't get otherwise. That shit is priceless.

• Like 2

My parents didn't have much $$ growing up so I only got to play roller hockey. I loved it and was grateful for the opportunity to play. I still play inline to this day and I'm in my mid 30's now.

I always thought if I had a son, I would undoubtedly get him into ice and give him every opportunity to succeed and take it as far as his talent and work ethic would allow. Now that he is turning 5 and the past year was a wash due to COVID, im not sure I want to make the commitment of all weekends and weekdays heading to the rink for practices, games and tournaments.

Talk me into it or talk me out of it...either way. I wanna hear what you all have to say about your experiences.

Look, there's a selfish aspect to hockey, in particular. There is where I'm from, anyways. It's a social club all on its own for the parents, and your kid will make all kinds of friendships.

My kid is no good, I played junior as a 14 year old. I was initially aghast that he sucked, and at times I was ashamed of him. He's ultimately proven me to be a total moron, and I'm very proud when I watch him now. His love for the game is different than mine, but he does love it, and that's going to stay with him forever. It's not all about the level you're playing, or what club you made, it's really all about getting up to make him breakfast before a tourney, the drives, the hotel hockey, and the bonding we wouldn't get otherwise. That shit is priceless.

If you are already worried about the time and commitment, I would suggest a different sport. But, as Dunny describes, its a great bonding experience.

Growing up, I played competitive hockey. We're talking 4, 5 nights a week as a kid. Although we have closer rinks now, at times, my teams home rink was 30 minutes to an hour away. So you are talking an hour drive to get there, 30 minutes before practice, hour practice, me taking 30 minutes to get out of the lockerroom, then an hour home. And that's a typical Tuesday night. I wont get into backyard rinks. lol

But playing hockey brought a ton of opportunities I wouldnt have had otherwise. Up here, we traveled to Canada and Niagara Falls monthly. I'm still shocked when people in NY have never seen the falls, or went to Canada. I've played at Gretzkys rink in Brampton, Lake Placid, CanAm tourneys with skills competitions... and doing all the vacation/sight seeing along with it. Not to mention all the future AHL and NHL we played against growing up. Also met Mike Eruzione - huge ass hole. I also did camps with the Rochester Amerks when I was a kid, developed bonds with a few players as well as the trainer - and got a ton of free shit out of it (sticks, jerseys, autographs, etc)

Hockey is a whole community, too. It's a lifestyle, as well. Some of those bonds last a long time, and I still talk to a few guys I played with when I was 13. I dont think my parents would have changed anything, if they had a chance. In fact, they're doing it again with my son.

I've got 3 kids. 6 year old girl, 4 year old boy and 1 year old girl. I work shiftwork alternating nights and dayshifts (7-7) every two weeks. I assume house leagues are a little less demanding than travel leagues. My closest rink is 30 minutes away. It is hard to plan for anything with the ever changing COVID regulations. Learn to play is open for the lil guy, maybe ill give that a go and see what happens from there.