• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Kids Activities/Sports

jsm7302

I've got 3 kids. 6 year old girl, 4 year old boy and 1 year old girl. I work shiftwork alternating nights and dayshifts (7-7) every two weeks. I assume house leagues are a little less demanding than travel leagues. My closest rink is 30 minutes away. It is hard to plan for anything with the ever changing COVID regulations. Learn to play is open for the lil guy, maybe ill give that a go and see what happens from there.

I feel your pain there. I work shiftwork too, alternating days 7-3 and evenings 3-11, every other week. My wife is a teacher so she's straight days. As it is now, I end up swapping most of my day shifts to night shifts to help alleviate some of the cost of daycare. I was in the same boat as you, played inline my entire childhood because my parents couldn't afford to put me in ice. I didn't start playing ice full time until about 10 years ago. I know I most likely won't have the time and money to put my son into travel hockey but I hope to get him into house league at the very least, as well as high school hockey. Whether that be ice or inline is whatever I can afford to give him. I had the most fun of my hockey "career" playing for the school team(7th-12th inline with one season of ice in 11th grade). College was fun too but for other reasons. There wasn't much compared to having the rink packed out with, not only parents, but also friends from school cheering you on. I still talk to so many of the guys I played with in high school, not many of the guys I played travel though. Don't hold yourself, or your kid/s, to travel or bust.

• Like 1

Smiling reading these responses. Just love ?em up any and every way you can. My boys played soccer from age 7-8 through high school. One added tennis while the other track. Club swimming then high school team. Both became lifeguards. You do what you can, when you can, by leading with your heart.

Now in their early 20s, one of the guys is my sports buddy. We see 25-30 pro and college events every year. The drive, planning food and the opportunity to just talk is worth every cent.

My parents didn't have much $$ growing up so I only got to play roller hockey. I loved it and was grateful for the opportunity to play. I still play inline to this day and I'm in my mid 30's now.

I always thought if I had a son, I would undoubtedly get him into ice and give him every opportunity to succeed and take it as far as his talent and work ethic would allow. Now that he is turning 5 and the past year was a wash due to COVID, im not sure I want to make the commitment of all weekends and weekdays heading to the rink for practices, games and tournaments.

Talk me into it or talk me out of it...either way. I wanna hear what you all have to say about your experiences.

For better or worse, be it sports or dance or anything like that, you're going to be spending time on weekends. But looking back, it goes likethat.

Sadly looks like there will not be a spring D2 football season.

There is nothing like watching your kids participate and compete, even in sports they may not excel at. I'm gonna miss that. For example; He and another DL/OL guy who were at a track meet at Columbia's indoor gymnasium throwing shot put got drafted into the 4x100 relay because his school's track guys were late or had left. So you had these 2 250/275 lbers (my son and another kid who played D1 football) lugging themselves around the track behind everyone else, with the arena cheering them on. You cannot get those kinds of experiences for both of you if he doesn't get in there.

And you should have them try things within reason. My son hated the first time he went skiing, but gutted it out, and now he has soup to nuts snowboarding gear that hasn't been used for 4 years but will be used now.MY 2 friends who play travel hockey feel the same way; this will be over soon and they'll be all grown up. A few weekends a year in Holiday Inns is not that big a deal.

LOL, I delayed as long as possible. Wanted several (I think we had 4) years married WITHOUT children so we could both have an easy balance of work and vacation/travel time. Add into that buying our first home and getting settled into that and those few years went very fast.

I disagree - pop'em out as soon as possible.

1) You NEVER have enough money

2) you dont get more energy as you age

3) your daughters hot college friends dont want to bang a 70 year old dude.

4) Your wife's body's chance of bouncing back declines drastically with every year

5) As we get older, we usually move up into positions with more responsibility - usually making it harder to get away/disconnect, and demands more of your time.

LOL, I delayed as long as possible. Wanted several (I think we had 4) years married WITHOUT children so we could both have an easy balance of work and vacation/travel time. Add into that buying our first home and getting settled into that and those few years went very fast.
Yes, this is pretty much exactly what we did. We were young and wanted to be selfish with our time. We both figured the rate the country was going, we'd never get to retire anyway, so we traveled and did our thing from 33-36 rather than trying to do it from 73-76 LOL.

Kinda sucks this past year turned out the way it did because we wanted one more year of hardcore traveling before kids. Luckily we made it to Banff in February 2020 before shit really hit the fan. That was a nice last hurrah.

In my experience, she just tells you she's good to go, and you add a parasite nine months later. Always remember, the pull out method is the only prophylactic you truly control.

And then basically this. I held it off as long as I could, but mortality hits a lot harder for women than men. So, here we are with our kid coming in July lol

• Like 2

I disagree - pop'em out as soon as possible.

1) You NEVER have enough money

2) you dont get more energy as you age

3) your daughters hot college friends dont want to bang a 70 year old dude.

4) Your wife's body's chance of bouncing back declines drastically with every year

5) As we get older, we usually move up into positions with more responsibility - usually making it harder to get away/disconnect, and demands more of your time.

This!

Kinda sucks this past year turned out the way it did because we wanted one more year of hardcore traveling before kids. Luckily we made it to Banff in February 2020 before shit really hit the fan. That was a nice last hurrah.

And then basically this. I held it off as long as I could, but mortality hits a lot harder for women than men. So, here we are with our kid coming in July lol

Congrats!!!

• Like 1

Yes, this is pretty much exactly what we did. We were young and wanted to be selfish with our time. We both figured the rate the country was going, we'd never get to retire anyway, so we traveled and did our thing from 33-36 rather than trying to do it from 73-76 LOL.

Three kids, youngest is almost 6 and I'm 38!

Who's laughing now?

#FREEDOM50

Yup. Glad we were able to do what we did, which was travel extensively in our late 20s.

Of course when it came time to "try" and have kids..........it happened way too easy. LOL, both times. But I'm not complaining as both sides of our family (older siblings) had major issues getting pregnant. For awhile we felt guilty, but luckily both our brothers were able to have kids several years after ours were born.

Three kids, youngest is almost 6 and I'm 38!

Who's laughing now?

#FREEDOM50

Married at 26.

Kid one at age 31.

Kid two at age 33.

I'm pretty happy with that. Very similar to the age my parents had kids so I can relate. I think my dad was 49 when I graduated high school. I'll be 50/52 when mine do.

I got married at 29, we waited a couple of years, had 2, my youngest will be 7 and oldest 11 this year and I'm turning 43, and can retire in a year and a half if I want, but probably won't because they are still too young and who knows what college will cost in 10 years.

K3ZZ.gif

My oldest daughter just hung up her lacrosse cleats. Was on a break due to concussions, decided it just wasn't worth it as plying in college wasn't a big goal.

I'm just happy my kids didn't gravitate to competitive swimming. My college roommate is in it times 3.. Up every morning at 4 for practice, weekends are shot for meets etc.. 12 months a year.. His oldest is going to get a scholarship.... that should cover his books and meal plan.

The year round nature of kids sports is nuts to me- that wasn't the case when I was 12 (47 now so its eon's ago)

Had my kid when I was 30 (never been married).

Mother is a lawyer and we decided on 50/50, with me taking care of her housing and utilities.

Luckily, we were very similar minded in regards to parenting and allowed our son to try everything without pushing him.

Was important to find activities he can do for life, such as golf, downhill skiing, judo, shooting, etc.

Ans team sports such as Football, soccer, and hockey.

Played 4 years of varsity hockey in high school, wasn?t very good but did well enough. And due to size did well at varsity football.

Now he?s in college and focused on strong man competitions and judo

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

One thing; people get crazy about football and hockey and injuries. And of course you can get hurt playing those; my son lost most of his junior season to shoulder surgery(School covered it, had the same Harvard orthopedic surgeon as Gronkowski) . Yet among family and friends the single worst injury was my cousin's son, who sustained a bad concussion playing HS soccer goalie. Really fucked him up for a year plus. While he got a full academic ride to a great engineering school, cost him any shot at college soccer scholarship and worse, caused him to lose an appointment to West Point.

I'm on a Minor Hockey call right now, and hockey is done in Canada. We've been locked down in Ontario since Xmas, and every Municipality in the County is pulling their ice. What a shitty year to be a kid.

February 1 start, here.

Three daughters all on softball travel teams. Two of them also play volleyball and one plays soccer. (Shoot me)

I thank my lucky stars that i was blessed with 3 girls but have never had to attend a dance recital.

Fuuuuuck I hope my daughter isn't into dance. Most of my 7 nieces were all in dance and I fucking HATED going to their recitals. Thank goodness I do not have to do that anymore. I hope it stays that way.