• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"No Question" Rangers to Check in on Pierre-Luc Dubois

LindG1000

...got a first hand look at Dubois and Torts going at it on the bench last night in Detroit. Geez!! Holy shit! That looks like a disaster....Seems to me Torts is insulted that he wants out and has been fairly vocal about it. They put a lot of work into him, I bet.

I realize how abrasive Torts can be, but if this kid is a soft-skinned pussy that can't take any criticism, NY is NOT the place for him!

However...

If Torts is just being Torts, and this kid is simply just on his shit list....with that kind of talent? He can be had...and lord knows we can use a Center like that! He may just be the perfect Center for Laf and/or Kakko.

I'm going to watch how that unfolds over there in Columbus...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...got a first hand look at Dubois and Torts going at it on the bench last night in Detroit. Geez!! Holy shit! That looks like a disaster....Seems to me Torts is insulted that he wants out and has been fairly vocal about it. They put a lot of work into him, I bet.

I realize how abrasive Torts can be, but if this kid is a soft-skinned pussy that can't take any criticism, NY is NOT the place for him!

However...

If Torts is just being Torts, and this kid is simply just on his shit list....with that kind of talent? He can be had...and lord knows we can use a Center like that! He may just be the perfect Center for Laf and/or Kakko.

I'm going to watch how that unfolds over there in Columbus...

The thing about Torts, and coaches like him, is that they all have a shelf-life. I mean, every coach does, but especially the abrasive in your face types like him. Eventually everyone in the room gets sick it. Managmenet might eventually decide that keeping Dubois is more important than keeping Torts. Does that change PDB's mind?

The thing about Torts, and coaches like him, is that they all have a shelf-life. I mean, every coach does, but especially the abrasive in your face types like him. Eventually everyone in the room gets sick it. Managmenet might eventually decide that keeping Dubois is more important than keeping Torts. Does that change PDB's mind?

I was listening to the discussion on the free Center Ice preview last night, in between periods, BBB and they were saying how Dubois has been very up front, and honest about splittin' the scene over there. I'm not sure how his teammates feel about that but we shall see.

The Rangers would have to give up an awful lot for a 22 year old, 6' 3", two-way center with pretty damn good play-making ability. I don't think Columbus would be satisfied with just a Strome or ADA.

I was listening to the discussion on the free Center Ice preview last night, in between periods, BBB and they were saying how Dubois has been very up front, and honest about splittin' the scene over there. I'm not sure how his teammates feel about that but we shall see.

The Rangers would have to give up an awful lot for a 22 year old, 6' 3", two-way center with pretty damn good play-making ability. I don't think Columbus would be satisfied with just a Strome or ADA.

agreed. the price they'll want, im not sure im comfortable with us paying.

I think I pass, unless they will take DeAngelo straight up. Then again I know very little of him. But if Strome outscored him last season, why are we interested unless its a steal?

If you wanna check him out, he wears #18 on the Blue Jackets, Dude man. Gritty, young player with a shit load of potential in my opinion. Plays Center, he has a well-above-average play making ability, can win draws, and plays pretty well in his own zone. 6' 3" 220 lbs and 22 years old.

Doubtful ADA straight up takes the cheese with him....I figure they'd be looking more, but we'll see how it shakes out. The guy seems to be just what the Rangers need up the middle. we'll see....

If you wanna check him out, he wears #18 on the Blue Jackets, Dude man. Gritty, young player with a shit load of potential in my opinion. Plays Center, he has a well-above-average play making ability, can win draws, and plays pretty well in his own zone. 6' 3" 220 lbs and 22 years old.

Doubtful ADA straight up takes the cheese with him....I figure they'd be looking more, but we'll see how it shakes out. The guy seems to be just what the Rangers need up the middle. we'll see....

He's around 44% in faceoffs.

Honestly, I can't get the Dubinsky comparison out of my head. He came into the league young, played with Jagr, got top minutes, and put up points. Then stopped. I see him as a solid, middle-6 role player long-term. Not worth the big price tag nor the cost of acquiring. This is the Trouba thing all over again. Sure, I might do Pionk + 1st, but even that's high if we give him 8m per (plus you are losing a few of Zibanejad, Fox, Buch, Gauthier, etc. Too many contracts coming up)

FFS Crosby fought him

He's around 44% in faceoffs.

Honestly, I can't get the Dubinsky comparison out of my head. He came into the league young, played with Jagr, got top minutes, and put up points. Then stopped. I see him as a solid, middle-6 role player long-term. Not worth the big price tag nor the cost of acquiring. This is the Trouba thing all over again. Sure, I might do Pionk + 1st, but even that's high if we give him 8m per (plus you are losing a few of Zibanejad, Fox, Buch, Gauthier, etc. Too many contracts coming up)

FFS Crosby fought him

I watched a couple of their games this week, after I saw you guys posting about him, and he played a couple of decent games, before the stinker they threw up there on Tuesday, Josh man. I still think Trouba is going to be a good one, but he needs to own up to being "THE MAN" back there. Seems to me like he's afraid to take that step. Hopefully he gets his shit together sooner than later.

I'll check out some more of this kid, but so far I've liked how he plays....(Tuesday aside). The guy I'd love to have is MacKinnon, but that's a pipe dream!!! LOL

Nice purse swinging match with Sid though!! :rofl:

The problem, so to speak, with PLD is that you don't really know what he is. Much as I dislike Puck Soup sometimes, they had a real good back-and-forth about this, and they're right. If you're going to trade for this guy, and presumably give him some 7-8 years and some 50-60 million dollars, you need to know what he is. You can't give him that for what you think he's going to be.

Even if you drill it down to folks reasonably in his age bracket - he's absolutely not in the same breath as McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Eichel, Draisaitl. He's not yet proven he can run with the Ahos and Points and Barzals and Barkovs of the world. Maybe he's proven to be as good as Dylan Larkin? Or Bo Horvat?

And that's the core of the problem. If CBJ sees him as an Aho or a Barkov, and you pay up as if he's an Aho or a Barkov, and then you hand him a contract as if he's an Aho or a Barkov, and then he plays like Bo Horvat or Dylan Larkin, or ...well, that's a pretty big sacrifice to have made.

If you've turned around and given a 2021 1st, a player like Filip Chytil (for example), a prospect that's a former 1st rounder (I'd imagine CBJ would be targeting a Kravtsov or a Lundkvist), probably another piece of moderate consequence, plus the cap space, and it turns out you've not only overpaid on the trade by at least one solid piece, but also the contract by multiple millions? That's a real hard pill to swallow.

Really looking at it - is his output that different than, say, Max Domi's aside from being a center? Should that trade set the price we start at?

• Like 2

Quinn was recently asked about Strome and he said " yeah, he's trying to find his game". In other words, yeah he's sucked ass but I'll continue to give him big minutes every game. No compredi.

Strome, Like panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Trouba, and the goaltenders are still trying to find their game this early in the season. Strome has had chances, he's just really rusty. He had the same issue at the start of last season, too. I think all of them are close to finding their game. Might take more games or simply a small confidence boost.

But, Strome hasnt looked great with his BFF Tony on the sideline.

The problem, so to speak, with PLD is that you don't really know what he is. Much as I dislike Puck Soup sometimes, they had a real good back-and-forth about this, and they're right. If you're going to trade for this guy, and presumably give him some 7-8 years and some 50-60 million dollars, you need to know what he is. You can't give him that for what you think he's going to be.

Even if you drill it down to folks reasonably in his age bracket - he's absolutely not in the same breath as McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Eichel, Draisaitl. He's not yet proven he can run with the Ahos and Points and Barzals and Barkovs of the world. Maybe he's proven to be as good as Dylan Larkin? Or Bo Horvat?

And that's the core of the problem. If CBJ sees him as an Aho or a Barkov, and you pay up as if he's an Aho or a Barkov, and then you hand him a contract as if he's an Aho or a Barkov, and then he plays like Bo Horvat or Dylan Larkin, or ...well, that's a pretty big sacrifice to have made.

If you've turned around and given a 2021 1st, a player like Filip Chytil (for example), a prospect that's a former 1st rounder (I'd imagine CBJ would be targeting a Kravtsov or a Lundkvist), probably another piece of moderate consequence, plus the cap space, and it turns out you've not only overpaid on the trade by at least one solid piece, but also the contract by multiple millions? That's a real hard pill to swallow.

Really looking at it - is his output that different than, say, Max Domi's aside from being a center? Should that trade set the price we start at?

I can dig this, G Man. I think you're thoughts are right on. It's tough to figure what these kids are right and now, and only if you have crystal balls, you can figure out what they're gonna be. Over payment is always a concern, especially when we're rebuilding....but I was curious to see more of him since you guys were touting him up here.

I really didn't watch him very much last season, but I caught a few already this season.

I can dig this, G Man. I think you're thoughts are right on. It's tough to figure what these kids are right and now, and only if you have crystal balls, you can figure out what they're gonna be. Over payment is always a concern, especially when we're rebuilding....but I was curious to see more of him since you guys were touting him up here.

I really didn't watch him very much last season, but I caught a few already this season.

PLD is a real good player - don't get me wrong - but right this moment he's a solid top 6 C, even if the Jackets seem intent on playing him as much as Boone Jenner for some fuckin reason. The Jackets seem to want - and the hockey community writ large - a 1C caliber package here, and if that's the case you need to be absolutely sure he jumps up to the next level.

If they're willing to do a hockey deal kind of thing, and something like ADA and a 1st does the trick? Great.

If PLD is willing to take a discount on the contract extension to facilitate a trade? (less Aho, more Larkin) Also great. Happy to do it.

The thing I keep coming back to is that for the kinds of packages and prices being thrown around here (roughly the 3 1sts equivalent plus the contract), you could probably get a more certain player on a more certain contract.

PLD is a real good player - don't get me wrong - but right this moment he's a solid top 6 C, even if the Jackets seem intent on playing him as much as Boone Jenner for some fuckin reason. The Jackets seem to want - and the hockey community writ large - a 1C caliber package here, and if that's the case you need to be absolutely sure he jumps up to the next level.

If they're willing to do a hockey deal kind of thing, and something like ADA and a 1st does the trick? Great.

If PLD is willing to take a discount on the contract extension to facilitate a trade? (less Aho, more Larkin) Also great. Happy to do it.

The thing I keep coming back to is that for the kinds of packages and prices being thrown around here (roughly the 3 1sts equivalent plus the contract), you could probably get a more certain player on a more certain contract.

I'm with ya all the way on that, G Man!!! I sure as hell don't wanna give up anything like that. The fact that PLD's contract expires the same time Fox, Kakko, Lemeiux and Zibby's does also plays into it as well, like you and Josh said, so that's a concern.

Thing is, with all this free time I have with 10pm bar curfews, I find myself scouting other teams games a hell of a lot!!! :rofl:

I keep trying to find a long term solution up the middle for this team. The problem I have now is that I find myself watching Avs games every time they're on! Fucking MacKinnon is simply a fabulous player I think, and it's fun drooling over what he would be like here!

• Like 1

I'm with ya all the way on that, G Man!!! I sure as hell don't wanna give up anything like that. The fact that PLD's contract expires the same time Fox, Kakko, Lemeiux and Zibby's does also plays into it as well, like you and Josh said, so that's a concern.

Thing is, with all this free time I have with 10pm bar curfews, I find myself scouting other teams games a hell of a lot!!! :rofl:

I keep trying to find a long term solution up the middle for this team. The problem I have now is that I find myself watching Avs games every time they're on! Fucking MacKinnon is simply a fabulous player I think, and it's fun drooling over what he would be like here!

We'll have a solution soon. The Rangers have a monster advantage in that they're cash rich at a time where most of the league is cash poor, they're youth asset-rich at a time where the rest of the league is looking for "cheap and effective", and they're not really in much cap trouble. They could basically cash-bully a team with an offer sheet (not that they ever happen) if they really wanted to.

It won't be Nathan MacKinnon (unfortunately), but it'll be someone who can at least hold toe with Zibanejad circa 2018.

We'll have a solution soon. The Rangers have a monster advantage in that they're cash rich at a time where most of the league is cash poor, they're youth asset-rich at a time where the rest of the league is looking for "cheap and effective", and they're not really in much cap trouble. They could basically cash-bully a team with an offer sheet (not that they ever happen) if they really wanted to.

It won't be Nathan MacKinnon (unfortunately), but it'll be someone who can at least hold toe with Zibanejad circa 2018.

Oh hell yeah, I keep salivating at that pool of cash at the end of this season on Capfriendly.com, G Man!!! We get some relief from Shatty & Hank and finally Spooner's spare change dropping off, plus Smith's shitty contract which equates to about $13.3 million!! :thumbs:

Lets start with Strome/ADA and go from there

I think its better to move Kreider and Strome, i know Krider has No Move.

Moving Kreider opens a spot on a left side where Laff should be. Also Kreider gets paid too much and partially brings what he suppose to to this team.

ADA can be moved later for something else.

You could get Barkov for less.

I don't throw all these pieces at Columbus to get him. The packages being thrown around should get you a legit elite center. Christ, we were just hoping Chytil would be the #2center by the end of this season, and now people want to deal him AND DeAngelo AND Kravstov?

No way. You're gutting the team of most of its youth that are ready to be mainstays.

Moving Kreider opens a spot on a left side where Laff should be. Also Kreider gets paid too much and partially brings what he suppose to to this team.

Torts and Kreider? Doubt it.

Try pushing Trouba onto them. Now we're talking.

I odnt think there is much of a chance Kreids agree to play for Torts. There is history there.

I mean if u don't like Torts, you'll never like Torts. There will never be a second chance kind of feeling with him really lol
Same goes with fans.

Hard to blame Torts when you see a player completely quit on his team. People don't seem to get, at this level you're not playing for a coach, you're playing for the guys sitting next to you.