• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Reach Out to Brian Boyle as Potential Lineup Solution

Phil

But it seems here that the Blueshirts? most glaring deficiency exists at the dots, where the Rangers graded miserably last year and allowed their most reliable (albeit seldom used) faceoff man in Greg McKegg to leave via free agency.

Per Faceoffs.net, the Rangers rated 30th overall, ahead of only the Sabres, at a 46.6 percent success rate. They were 30th at five-on-five and 26th while shorthanded. They were next-to-last, again ahead of only Buffalo, in the defensive zone both overall and at five-on-five. They ranked 20th in the D-zone while shorthanded.

Not a single center on the roster hit 50 percent last season, and McKegg was the only one to chin over that bar in the defensive end. Filip Chytil clocked in at 38.4 percent overall. Brett Howden did win 53.8 percent of his D-zone draws while killing penalties, but he took only 65 faceoffs in that capacity, while Mika Zibanejad (43.7 percent) took 167 and Ryan Strome (31.4 ? eek!) handled 70.

So there is an apparent void in that area, even more conspicuous than a potential vacuum in veteran leadership. There are also questions about the makeup and role of the fourth line. But all three issues would be addressed if the Rangers were to invite Brian Boyle, the 36-year-old unsigned free agent, back into the fold. He checks all of the boxes.

And indeed, The Post has learned that the team has checked in with Boyle, who was one of the key forces through the team?s ascension at the start of the last decade. Let?s make it clear. A contract offer is not around the corner. As we understand it, management has advised Boyle that the team is taking a wait-and-see approach with the kids.

(There are, we?ve learned, several clubs who have been in contact with similar messages for Boyle, who thus may not wait and see what happens with the Rangers.)

https://nypost.com/2021/01/06/rangers-reach-out-to-nhl-free-agent-brian-boyle/?utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_campaign=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter&utm_source=NYPSportsTwitter

The only way these guys will improve is by getting experience...I say stay with what we have, and let 'em learn the ropes the hard way. We're not winning a cup this year, and it's a good "learning year" in my opinion. I don't see a need to resurrect all these fossils to come in and clog up the pipes for these kids.

Once this season ends we'll have plenty of cap space to fill in the gaping holes. I'm going err on the side of patience.

They are going to be a wild bunch to watch this year though, and I also think I'm going to have a few aneurysms watching them at certain points of the season!!! I just can't wait to see them play!

• Like 3

The only way these guys will improve is by getting experience...I say stay with what we have, and let 'em learn the ropes the hard way. We're not winning a cup this year, and it's a good "learning year" in my opinion. I don't see a need to resurrect all these fossils to come in and clog up the pipes for these kids.

Once this season ends we'll have plenty of cap space to fill in the gaping holes. I'm going err on the side of patience.

They are going to be a wild bunch to watch this year though, and I also think I'm going to have a few aneurysms watching them at certain points of the season!!! I just can't wait to see them play!

He's not clogging up the pipes on the 4th line. It's clear they're weak on the 4th line and weak at center. He could solve both problems while moving Howden or Barron to wing - or off the roster entirely if they don't believe in either.

I get patience but this kind of move doesn't hurt. Boyle doesn't need many minutes and he can be a healthy scratch at times. It's also not the worst thing in the world to give some of the young kids a break during the season. Besides the faceoff/discipline that he brings he also is a role model for what it means to be a professional. The positives of adding Boyle far outweigh the negatives.

• Like 2

He's not clogging up the pipes on the 4th line. It's clear they're weak on the 4th line and weak at center. He could solve both problems while moving Howden or Barron to wing - or off the roster entirely if they don't believe in either.

I get patience but this kind of move doesn't hurt. Boyle doesn't need many minutes and he can be a healthy scratch at times. It's also not the worst thing in the world to give some of the young kids a break during the season. Besides the faceoff/discipline that he brings he also is a role model for what it means to be a professional. The positives of adding Boyle far outweigh the negatives.

Come home Brian. It's time.

I loved him as a player when he was here, and it was a big mark against Slats when he let him go. All he had to do was give him another chance at center (where he has since obviously proved himself worthy).

Don't get me wrong, fellas....I really liked Boyle, and loved his play when he was a Ranger. I just would rather see what they have in the young guns like Howden, Chytil and a few others, rather than shift them around. If they are indeed busts, using them a lot this year or next year would be the way to go, to see if they have what it takes. One season's sample size is a little too small in my opinion.

If the Rangers were a serious contender to make a good run in the playoffs, and had the center position as weak as it is now, yeah...then I could totally see them bringing in guys like Boyle....again, that's just my way of viewing it.

...and I also know that Keirik would love it!!!! So either way....we can't go wrong!! :rofl:

Don't get me wrong, fellas....I really liked Boyle, and loved his play when he was a Ranger. I just would rather see what they have in the young guns like Howden, Chytil and a few others, rather than shift them around. If they are indeed busts, using them a lot this year or next year would be the way to go, to see if they have what it takes. One season's sample size is a little too small in my opinion.

If the Rangers were a serious contender to make a good run in the playoffs, and had the center position as weak as it is now, yeah...then I could totally see them bringing in guys like Boyle....again, that's just my way of viewing it.

...and I also know that Keirik would love it!!!! So either way....we can't go wrong!! :rofl:

Howden isn't a gun. He's a peashooter.

Boyle on the 4th line doesn't effect Chytil. Of Cheats is on the 4th line he's failed here anyway.

• Like 1

Boyle on the 4th line doesn't effect Chytil. Of Cheats is on the 4th line he's failed here anyway.

Buchnevich played on the 4th line for several stints over his career. Now he's really bought into the system and he's getting praise for his play in the playoffs and during camp.

Additionally, Chytil just turned 21.

Peashooter!!!! :rofl: Love it!!!!

True about Chytil....I suppose as long Boyle doesn't stunt the growth of anyone, I can dig it.

Getting Boyle really in no way affects any of the younger “talents” the team has. 4th line minutes aren’t exactly great for development and growth. 4th line is a defined role and so,etching we sorely are lacking. Get it done.

You guys make a good point. A player like Boyle at this point can also be a good mentor, especially for face off knowledge and penalty killing. Like I said, I always liked Boyle, and if he's a fit, fuck it! I'll roll with it! :thumbs:

Besides, when Boyle scores, I'm gonna love reading your posts the day after, Keirik!! LOL

• Like 1

Getting Boyle really in no way affects any of the younger “talents” the team has. 4th line minutes aren’t exactly great for development and growth. 4th line is a defined role and so,etching we sorely are lacking. Get it done.

Would you say this 2 or 3 seasons ago when AV/Quinn benched Buchnevich for Tanner Glass or Brendan Smith?

With so many young guys, you have to expect a few to be rotating through the bottom line.

This team is deep with offensive talent, and they also deep with worthless 13th forwards. They dont need another one of either type of player.

Would you say this 2 or 3 seasons ago when AV/Quinn benched Buchnevich for Tanner Glass or Brendan Smith?

With so many young guys, you have to expect a few to be rotating through the bottom line.

This team is deep with offensive talent, and they also deep with worthless 13th forwards. They dont need another one of either type of player.

Yeah I would. They didn’t bench a young player for any other reason than lack of performance and to sit in the press box to learn from experienced players or have a different look in the lineup. We are talking 4th line players here in a season where the team will be playing 4 games each week for the season. You rotate 4th liners in and out and having a few extra players that fill mucker roles is a pretty good asset to have this year particularly.

Yeah, it does. We have lots of young guys that might project to the 4th line. Barron. Howden. Lemieux. Richards. Absolutely no interest in Boyle.