• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Braden Schneider Given 5-Minute Major, Ejected for Head Shot on German Player

Phil

Hit was from blind side, Granted, his head was turned but the shoulder was square to the players chest

predatory, Every open ice rocking hit can be classified such

already engaged with another player Who? It wasn't like another guy was 'right there'

and no attempt to play puck... We've seen these rock-em' hits forever now in hockey in open ice areas. Part of being a physical player

That hit was like 3 levels of dirty.

Pete, are you really saying this was that bad? Skater was beginning to hold up a bit just before the hit. The bad part was that he was looking the other way but the rest of his body was squared to the hit. I'm not a head-shot fan certainly, but this is more of an unfortunate hockey play result than bad intent IMO.

Pete, are you really saying this was that bad? Skater was beginning to hold up a bit just before the hit. The bad part was that he was looking the other way but the rest of his body was squared to the hit. I'm not a head-shot fan certainly, but this is more of an unfortunate hockey play result than bad intent IMO.
Nah. You can't make that hit. Especially in international play. It should be common sense at this point for a young player, rules have been in effect for long enough, if there's even a chance that you might make head contact or that you might be hitting somebody from the blind side, you would just have to hold up,

Honestly, if he lowered his* shoulder into the chest, it could have been worse. This hit is easily correctable, so I’m not worried about that.

Rangers have needed a guy that makes opponents keep their heads up for a very long time.

It was a nasty hit. Deserving of suspension, as Pete outlined.

The player not protecting himself, although stupid, doesn’t negate an infraction. Although I personally feel the same way about the hit, it’s still a penalty. And I don’t like that rule, lol

Here's how you make that hit, clean.

You have the opposing skater turn their head and body?

It's that dumb blindside rule the NHL implemented years ago.

As a skater, you know longer need to "keep your head up" to protect yourself. You can be looking at the puck, or looking behind you - NHL rules say you cant be hit, even if you are putting yourself in these vulnerable positions.

Yes, let's blame the skater getting hit in the head by a player who knows you're not supposed to make head contact and who could have avoided it.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just distinguishing the example you brought up and articulating that the difference in it is that the opposing player maneuvers their body (pulls puck with stick, moving their body right to left, and their head) which allowed the acting hitter to deliver squarely to the shoulder.

This is a clean hit and nobody is to blame, but I also don't think that it's a shining example of the hitter performing anything different from the schneider hit. The hitter in your example commits to the hit at the apex of the turn and cannot account for any body change. It could just as easily been a devastating hit to the head.

It's always a risk, and in Schneider's case it was relatively unecessary given the opposition, but I don't know that the last second adjustment by the opposition makes or breaks the determination of "how you make a clean hit" is all.

I'm not blaming anyone. I'm just distinguishing the example you brought up and articulating that the difference in it is that the opposing player maneuvers their body (pulls puck with stick, moving their body right to left, and their head) which allowed the acting hitter to deliver squarely to the shoulder.

This is a clean hit and nobody is to blame, but I also don't think that it's a shining example of the hitter performing anything different from the schneider hit. The hitter in your example commits to the hit at the apex of the turn and cannot account for any body change. It could just as easily been a devastating hit to the head.

It's always a risk, and in Schneider's case it was relatively unecessary given the opposition, but I don't know that the last second adjustment by the opposition makes or breaks the determination of "how you make a clean hit" is all.

Yeah, I don't agree at all. Schneider knew what he was doing and he didn't have to do it. That's why he's suspended.

So you do know what we're disagreeing over.

Yes I'm aware of what I was originally disagreeing with you on. I thought that was fairly evident.

I was referring to your reply, as quoted specifically.

"Schneider knew what he was doing and he didn't have to do it. That's why he's suspended."

None of the Canada D have had much to do in this tournament, but he has looked good tonight. Very good in the 1st, before the goal. Couple real smart, crisp passes, smart decisions at tbe O blue line, and physically controlling of the Russian forwards.

Byram and Drysdale will get all tne attention but both Schneider and Guhle have been good.