Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Henrik Lundqvist Announces Heart Condition; Will Not Play This Season

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    A buddy of mine just had this type of surgery about 3 months ago. He's doing well now. Just started rehab a few weeks ago to start light exercise. He said it was a genetic disorder he had, the average size aortic root for someone our age (early 40s), should measure around 3.5 cm, his was 5.1 cm, 5.5 cm is considered emergency surgery. The base of my friend's aortic root caused an aneurysm, however they caught it at the right time before something drastic happened. My friends cardiologist told him its an easier recovery if you are on the younger side and in good shape. In my friends opinion, he doesn't think Lundqvist will play hockey again.
    Good information. Even not being an expert on this or without any information about this kind of procedure, I was kind of thinking that way anyway. It's a crappy way to end a legendary career. But, health and well-being are the most important.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    He’s apparently had this his whole career. I wonder what changed as opposed to one doctor deciding it was more serious than Rangers doctors. Scary to think he might have been misdiagnosed by our doctors this whole time.

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    I have a friend with this issue and it is totally dependent on a doctors opinion. One doc told my buddy he needs to have it replaced ASAP. Another doc told him they will continue to monitor is annually.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Keirik View Post
    He?s apparently had this his whole career. I wonder what changed as opposed to one doctor deciding it was more serious than Rangers doctors. Scary to think he might have been misdiagnosed by our doctors this whole time.
    Based on what I read, The condition is okay until it isn't. It's kind of disingenuous for Caps doctors to say that this is a condition that existed previous to his signing, that could totally be true and also not have affected his career one bit until this year.

Senior Member Junior Division
    No matter how we got here, open-heart surgery is serious. Get well Hank!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Based on what I read, The condition is okay until it isn't. It's kind of disingenuous for Caps doctors to say that this is a condition that existed previous to his signing, that could totally be true and also not have affected his career one bit until this year.
    Yeah, I just find the whole thing strange. He signed, then a physical after discovered further testing was needed on something he’s had for years. I guess we will never know but it seems there’s a slight chance buying him out could have saved his life or potential for medical disaster. Scary stuff. He literally was playing a little under 5 months ago for us.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Yeah, I just find the whole thing strange. He signed, then a physical after discovered further testing was needed on something he’s had for years. I guess we will never know but it seems there’s a slight chance buying him out could have saved his life or potential for medical disaster. Scary stuff. He literally was playing a little under 5 months ago for us.
    Interesting angle but in a weird way it's true.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    He’s apparently had this his whole career. I wonder what changed as opposed to one doctor deciding it was more serious than Rangers doctors. Scary to think he might have been misdiagnosed by our doctors this whole time.
    My friend had his disorder his entire life, he's been going to a cardiologist annually his entire life. He was fine until a few months ago when his aortic root grew in size that was deemed that surgery was needed. Could have been the same with Lundqvist that it wasn't at a point where surgery was needed until recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Heaven View Post
    My friend had his disorder his entire life, he's been going to a cardiologist annually his entire life. He was fine until a few months ago when his aortic root grew in size that was deemed that surgery was needed. Could have been the same with Lundqvist that it wasn't at a point where surgery was needed until recently.
    Makes sense. Scary all the way around.

#68 Яромир Ягр BSBH Prospect
    Okay now I really fucking hope the Capitals don't win the Stanley Cup this season.
    In all seriousness though, I really hope Lundqvist recovers from this to have a long healthy life with his family, that's really the most important outcome.

Senior Member Midget Division
    My brother had aortic valve replacement several years ago. After the surgery and several months of therapy, he's back to normal. His cardiologist insisted on putting a defibrillator into his chest in case of arrhythmia. That's pretty radical, but not out of the question either. It has never gone off, and it's barely noticable to the naked eye, but there are things he cannot do. In his case it's never gone off, but doesn't mean it never will go off. Unrelated but if you ever watch the "Gilgo Beach Killer" doc on Netflix, a suspect who has a defibrillator in him has it go off when he's confronted by the documentarians; guy stops, buckles and bolts backward uncontrollably across a driveway. Either way with the drugs Lundqvist will have to be on for the immediate future hard to see how he would resume professional competitive hockey for several years until his doctors are comfortable with his body's response and his drug regimen. By which time he will be over 40 and not having played in a while.

There also is much reason for hope that Lundqvist has an excellent prognosis for a long and full life without many limitations.

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division

Cleveland....who would have thunk that leading heart doctors live there lol

Russian Meddling BSBH Veteran
    Cleveland....who would have thunk that leading heart doctors live there lol
    Ohio and Florida are the best for major surgeries. They have top doctors due to the high number of transplants because those states have different motorcycle helmet laws.

When I worked In healthcare, anytime someone/family members got ill, they’d move to Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    Ohio and Florida are the best for major surgeries. They have top doctors due to the high number of transplants because those states have different motorcycle helmet laws.

When I worked In healthcare, anytime someone/family members got ill, they’d move to Ohio.
    Yeah, I didn’t know that. Florida I had heard since my partner needed knee replacement and waited til he retired and moved to Florida to have. Learn something new every day

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Yeah, I didn?t know that. Florida I had heard since my partner needed knee replacement and waited til he retired and moved to Florida to have. Learn something new every day
    It really depends on the specifics of the trauma. I'm getting my hip rebuilt via total hip replacement or resurfacing at the hospital for special surgery in New York. My surgeon has operated on a lot of pro athletes in the area and uses a lot of laser guided procedures and robotics. You don't have to travel to get good care.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    It really depends on the specifics of the trauma. I'm getting my hip rebuilt via total hip replacement or resurfacing at the hospital for special surgery in New York. My surgeon has operated on a lot of pro athletes in the area and uses a lot of laser guided procedures and robotics. You don't have to travel to get good care.
    Good luck with your surgery when you do it. This from sports, age, or both? I’m headed towards pretty major back surgery myself at some point but avoiding it as long as possible since it’ll likely mean the end of my current career.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Just think of how much better your healthcare system is going to be when your choices are completely eliminated, and your surgeon was 186th in his class at the University of Tripoli.

I wonder why Hank didn't get this done in Sweden? Really puzzling.

HNIC BSBH Legend
    Good luck with your surgery when you do it. This from sports, age, or both? I?m headed towards pretty major back surgery myself at some point but avoiding it as long as possible since it?ll likely mean the end of my current career.
    It's from both.

I also held off as long as I could, but the arthritis is so severe that it's basically bone on bone and there's no cartilage there at all. I'll mark up and upload my x-ray later so you can see. It's pretty crazy.

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast