Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Henrik Lundqvist Announces Heart Condition; Will Not Play This Season

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Am I a dick to ask what this means for his contract?
    Had the same thought. Since he couldn't play under the contract, even with the buyout, is there any way to get cap relief?

Quote Originally Posted by jsrangers View Post
    Only concern I have is that he figures out a way to deal with his heart issue and the best way forward for himself and his family.

Hope he has a long healthful life, of course. And now his tenure with the Caps figures to be an answer to a trivia question rather than reality.

(╯?□?)╯︵ ┻━┻ BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Had the same thought. Since he couldn't play under the contract, even with the buyout, is there any way to get cap relief?
    I think they are screwed but I suppose the only hope would be a grievance since he never played a second for his new team. Highly unlikely and would be a messy unnecessary situation.

Senior Member Mite Division Lord Al's Avatar
    Now Washington hast to look for a trade partner to acquire a goaltender now

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Wonder how many jerseys Caps sold of him. Capitals were like 3rd or so leading reverse retro sales and they also had already been selling his jersey on tjr nhl store site

The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Am I a dick to ask what this means for his contract?
    He's injured, I believe, so they will pay him anyway (his base), and if they need the room, he'd be LTIR eligible (which only applies when you're officially over the cap).
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you're a good loser, you're a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Gorton is the worst at buyouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Gorton is the worst at buyouts.
    Unless he's a cardiologist on the side, hard to have seen this coming.

Senior Member Junior Division
    Oh-man! Get well Henrik - hockey can wait.

Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Bugg View Post
    Unless he's a cardiologist on the side, hard to have seen this coming.
    Probably also needed the best crystal ball out on the market too in addition to being a top notch cardiologist.

Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    I really think, in hindsight of course, that it would have been better to ride out the deals for the 28 game season we're about to have.

There were more than a handful of us that preferred they hang onto him going into this season. But not sure there's any guarantee things would of played out this way if they had, we'll never know. Who knows how long he's known something wasn't right. I tend to think he didn't know when he was still part of the org here. Just hope he's going to be ok, can recover from it and live a normal life outside of the game.

Well, tbh, we really didn’t lose anyone except Fast really so it was more of a matter of keeping Hank instead of Georgie. Hanks heart would still have come up and we would be scrambling for a backup regardless. Now we’ve moved on and have a good tandem for two years. Unless u buy into that we could have been sitting here and today say “ok now we have money right before Christmas to offer sheet Cirelli” or so,etching of that nature.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    There?s no way they were going into the season with 3 goalies. If they kept hank they would have likely moved Georgiev for peanuts. We would have only one goalie left now.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Man, that sucks. I really hope this doesn't wind up being career ending. That would be a really crappy way to have it end. Good luck, Hank!

Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    Wishing him nothing but the best. Hate to see him have to go out like this, but his health is more important than playing. There is a nice writ up on him in todays Newsday by Andrew Gross.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/colum...ist-1.50097494

The cruel irony, of course, is that his heart ultimately betrayed Henrik Lundqvist.

The future Hall of Fame goalie showed nothing but heart during his 15 seasons as the face of the Rangers’ franchise. In an NHL full of uber-competitive athletes, Lundqvist always seemed to be the uber-est on his team.
    Lundqvist, true to his nature, made it sound as if he is working to return to the ice. Still, it would not be shocking if this marks the end of his stellar NHL career.
    He goes on to tell a couple of stories about meeting him and talking with him. Its definitely a good read.

Lundqvist is having open heart surgery.

"Last 3 weeks my focus has shifted from training camp and the upcoming season to my health and what I can and can't do," he tweeted. "Scheduled for open heart surgery now - aortic valve replacement, aortic root and ascending aortic replacement to be exact.

https://www.tsn.ca/henrik-lundqvist-...gery-1.1569606

Damn. Wishing him nothing but the best and a full recovery. That's a rough one and something at his age he may have to deal with again down the road, hopefully not. Godspeed Hank.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    A buddy of mine just had this type of surgery about 3 months ago. He's doing well now. Just started rehab a few weeks ago to start light exercise. He said it was a genetic disorder he had, the average size aortic root for someone our age (early 40s), should measure around 3.5 cm, his was 5.1 cm, 5.5 cm is considered emergency surgery. The base of my friend's aortic root caused an aneurysm, however they caught it at the right time before something drastic happened. My friends cardiologist told him its an easier recovery if you are on the younger side and in good shape. In my friends opinion, he doesn't think Lundqvist will play hockey again.

ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Scary stuff. Wishing him all the best. Damn.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast