• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Henrik Lundqvist Announces Heart Condition; Will Not Play This Season

Phil

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't they mutually agree to terminate?

Not with a 35+ contract. He can go on LTIR, though.

https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Basic Equation Example

The league upper limit is $69M. A team has an averaged club salary of $68M and a player with a 35+ contract with an AAV of $5M ($3M cap hit and $2M in performance bonuses) becomes injured and the team places him on LTIR. The LTIR relief pools are calculated as follows:

AAV of LTIR player is $5M

Cap space = $69M - $68M = $1M

ACSL = $69M - $1M = $68M

LTIR relief:

Base salary relief pool: $3M

Performance bonus pool: $2M

Once the team operates above $68M, they have $3M in salary relief, and $2M in performance bonus relief pools.

I assume we still owe the buy out/cap hit and LTIR does not impact that retroactively.

Considering that decision seems to have been the product of a lot of testing and consideration over some time, as opposed to something quick and obvious, I hope this is precautionary.

I feel a little guilty to benefit from this by probably never seeing him in another uniform.

"The King"!! What terrible news. From my own experience, the feelings and consequences can be life threatening. It surely will alter his future. The best of luck to a player that will go down in history as one of the all-time greats who gave his all. There aren't enough adjectives to describe the type of person that he is. The best to you " King ". Always think positive!!!

Only concern I have is that he figures out a way to deal with his heart issue and the best way forward for himself and his family.

Hope he has a long healthful life, of course. And now his tenure with the Caps figures to be an answer to a trivia question rather than reality.

Had the same thought. Since he couldn't play under the contract, even with the buyout, is there any way to get cap relief?

I think they are screwed but I suppose the only hope would be a grievance since he never played a second for his new team. Highly unlikely and would be a messy unnecessary situation.