• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Henrik Lundqvist Announces Heart Condition; Will Not Play This Season

Phil

My friend had his disorder his entire life, he's been going to a cardiologist annually his entire life. He was fine until a few months ago when his aortic root grew in size that was deemed that surgery was needed. Could have been the same with Lundqvist that it wasn't at a point where surgery was needed until recently.

Makes sense. Scary all the way around.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brother had aortic valve replacement several years ago. After the surgery and several months of therapy, he's back to normal. His cardiologist insisted on putting a defibrillator into his chest in case of arrhythmia. That's pretty radical, but not out of the question either. It has never gone off, and it's barely noticable to the naked eye, but there are things he cannot do. In his case it's never gone off, but doesn't mean it never will go off. Unrelated but if you ever watch the "Gilgo Beach Killer" doc on Netflix, a suspect who has a defibrillator in him has it go off when he's confronted by the documentarians; guy stops, buckles and bolts backward uncontrollably across a driveway. Either way with the drugs Lundqvist will have to be on for the immediate future hard to see how he would resume professional competitive hockey for several years until his doctors are comfortable with his body's response and his drug regimen. By which time he will be over 40 and not having played in a while.

There also is much reason for hope that Lundqvist has an excellent prognosis for a long and full life without many limitations.

• 2 weeks later...
Cleveland....who would have thunk that leading heart doctors live there lol

Ohio and Florida are the best for major surgeries. They have top doctors due to the high number of transplants because those states have different motorcycle helmet laws.

When I worked In healthcare, anytime someone/family members got ill, they’d move to Ohio.

Ohio and Florida are the best for major surgeries. They have top doctors due to the high number of transplants because those states have different motorcycle helmet laws.

When I worked In healthcare, anytime someone/family members got ill, they’d move to Ohio.

Yeah, I didn’t know that. Florida I had heard since my partner needed knee replacement and waited til he retired and moved to Florida to have. Learn something new every day

Yeah, I didn?t know that. Florida I had heard since my partner needed knee replacement and waited til he retired and moved to Florida to have. Learn something new every day
It really depends on the specifics of the trauma. I'm getting my hip rebuilt via total hip replacement or resurfacing at the hospital for special surgery in New York. My surgeon has operated on a lot of pro athletes in the area and uses a lot of laser guided procedures and robotics. You don't have to travel to get good care.

It really depends on the specifics of the trauma. I'm getting my hip rebuilt via total hip replacement or resurfacing at the hospital for special surgery in New York. My surgeon has operated on a lot of pro athletes in the area and uses a lot of laser guided procedures and robotics. You don't have to travel to get good care.

Good luck with your surgery when you do it. This from sports, age, or both? I’m headed towards pretty major back surgery myself at some point but avoiding it as long as possible since it’ll likely mean the end of my current career.

Just think of how much better your healthcare system is going to be when your choices are completely eliminated, and your surgeon was 186th in his class at the University of Tripoli.

I wonder why Hank didn't get this done in Sweden? Really puzzling.

Good luck with your surgery when you do it. This from sports, age, or both? I?m headed towards pretty major back surgery myself at some point but avoiding it as long as possible since it?ll likely mean the end of my current career.
It's from both.

I also held off as long as I could, but the arthritis is so severe that it's basically bone on bone and there's no cartilage there at all. I'll mark up and upload my x-ray later so you can see. It's pretty crazy.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...