• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Will Allow Sale of Ads on Players' Helmets This Season

Phil

The NHL is investigating selling ads on players? helmets. It was brought up on Wednesday?s Board of Governors call; there won?t be any formal comment until team presidents are briefed on Monday.

It?s an interesting move.

Across the league, there?s an understanding of the need for more creativity in revenue development. Ads on jerseys will come eventually, but there is a desire to be careful with it. The other reason the league may ?test drive? with helmets is to get an idea of where the market stands during COVID. You don?t want to rush into a below-market deal.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/nhl-investigating-possibility-selling-ads-players-helmets/

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't particularly care if the Rangers end up with a Chase ad on their helmets or something. I'm not even terribly miffed if they do what the NBA has done and do the "inverse soccer" (with the ad on the right or left of the chest).

As long as they don't have the Rangers shield in the corner and a giant "BANK WITH CHASE" on their chest.

I don't particularly care if the Rangers end up with a Chase ad on their helmets or something. I'm not even terribly miffed if they do what the NBA has done and do the "inverse soccer" (with the ad on the right or left of the chest).

As long as they don't have the Rangers shield in the corner and a giant "BANK WITH CHASE" on their chest.

Give an inch, theyll take a mile.

These are greedy corporations that are about to get another source of income. You think it stops at a little sticker on the helmet?

Give an inch, theyll take a mile.

These are greedy corporations that are about to get another source of income. You think it stops at a little sticker on the helmet?

Yeah? Then why do NBA jerseys look like this:

GE_Announcement_Boston_Bound_2017_3x2crop.jpg

And not like this:

westbrooksonic.jpg

--

Plain and simple, this is fearmongering. The idea that the NHL is going to wake up tomorrow and green light jersey advertisements so their clubs resemble European D leagues is baseless, as is the idea that they're going to suddenly adopt a European soccer style, where the sponsor takes up 90% of the jersey. What the NBA has done is far more likely to be exactly what the NHL does given how in lock step the two leagues often are with one another.

Why don't they do like what MSG does and put more of the ads on the glass around the rink for the TV viewers. It can be changed quickly to have them rotate and it keeps the fans from having to watch the idiot banging on the glass all the time.

Because that advertising vertical is limited. It exists only during a broadcast. A sponsor logo baked into the corner of a jersey is infinitely more valuable because it's always there —*in every video, every photograph, etc. In the same way it is when you build a sponsor bug into a logo.

Why doesn't Home Depot just run more commercials during College GameDay? Because they're far more likely to penetrate the markets they're after with their logo built into the GameDay logo, which is adorned to the set, and also has a naming rights association.

If you're looking to maximize advertising revenue, you don't look at the smallest stream available to you and just hope it's enough to fill your coffers. You look at what will actually produce real revenue, especially in a Covid environment in which gate sales, if they will exist at all, are going to be extremely mitigated.

If you want the league to get back to some semblance of normalcy in less than 5 years, you should support this - ads/logos on jerseys too. The league needs to raise HRR in any way possible, IMO.

Yea I pretty much agree. my only hope is that the ads dont overtake the jerseys/helmets. Hockey jerseys are things of beauty compared to jerseys in other sports.

If you want the league to get back to some semblance of normalcy in less than 5 years, you should support this - ads/logos on jerseys too. The league needs to raise HRR in any way possible, IMO.

Agree, unless someone else has a magical way to grow HRR in this environment.

Pretty sure nobody here want to see anything remotely close to soccer jerseys but I highly doubt that's even a consideration and I don't really buy into the give them an inch and they take over the whole jersey.

I agree with that but I don't want it really just because it'll be forever. When we talk "normalcy" I think a lot of that will work itself out within player salaries. There will be just another version of a cap on top of a cap. At some point players are just going to start taking less money. Think next offseason there are going to be many teams looking to add tons of money in contracts? Probably not so either players will see the writing on the wall and take less, or they'll jump to Europe if there is money there?

If you want salary cap to ever go up, you should back this AND sponsored jerseys.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Yeah? Then why do NBA jerseys look like this:

GE_Announcement_Boston_Bound_2017_3x2crop.jpg

And not like this:

westbrooksonic.jpg

--

Plain and simple, this is fearmongering. The idea that the NHL is going to wake up tomorrow and green light jersey advertisements so their clubs resemble European D leagues is baseless, as is the idea that they're going to suddenly adopt a European soccer style, where the sponsor takes up 90% of the jersey. What the NBA has done is far more likely to be exactly what the NHL does given how in lock step the two leagues often are with one another.

I know you didn’t grow up a hockey guy, but this same discussion was he about ads in rinks... then on the boards... then the arena names... then on the ice...

And then again a few years ago with AHL teams having corporate logos on their helmets, now on their jerseys.

I doubt that the amount of money that advertisers want to spend on hockey will increase much due to the availability of advertising on helmets. If you are spending a certain amount on ads on the boards and commercials on TV, will you spend more to ad helmet ads to that, or will you move some of what you are spending on the other mediums to helmet ads?

Also, to what extent do players get to have control or a say on the ads on their helmets? More CBA stuff to fight about.

Boy those old clips from games without ads on the boards and ice look nice.

I doubt that the amount of money that advertisers want to spend on hockey will increase much due to the availability of advertising on helmets. If you are spending a certain amount on ads on the boards and commercials on TV, will you spend more to ad helmet ads to that, or will you move some of what you are spending on the other mediums to helmet ads?

Also, to what extent do players get to have control or a say on the ads on their helmets? More CBA stuff to fight about.

Boy those old clips from games without ads on the boards and ice look nice.

There'd be more space to sell to different companies though. That's why European hockey jerseys look like they do, those teams also sell boards and Ice-space.

Granted most of these leagues have no broadcasts to sell ads on.

I don't mind the Soccer look either, probably because I grew up with it, and that look hasn't changed much since it was done for the first time in the 70s (at least here in Germany).

I am actually really glad the Rangers don't use their Logo on their jerseys, cause imo that just looks horrible. Rangers Logo would suit the soccer-style, but not how it's done in the NHL.

Oh, I was confused because Morphinity said that... And you quoted him and said the exact same thing lol.

I mean, it's technically a sponsorship, but yeah — jersey ads. They're totally coming IMO. League has no choice. Neither do the players or fans. Not if they don't want teams to fold and/or the cap to rise at all for the life of this CBA.

I mean, it's technically a sponsorship, but yeah ? jersey ads. They're totally coming IMO. League has no choice. Neither do the players or fans. Not if they don't want teams to fold and/or the cap to rise at all for the life of this CBA.
NHL should give up their logo placement on the front neck, let Reebok have that, put a sponsor logo on the yoke.