• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Not Release Lafreniere to Hockey Canada for WJC

Phil

The NHL simply does not care about international hockey.
In this case, why should they? If there was a season in progress he wouldn't have went. The Rangers are protecting their investment. He had a shoulder injury in the last tournament didn't he?

It's in every case. The highest level of professional hockey doesn't care about the international game, and it's shameful. It didn't use to be this way.

The injury argument is pretty lame, and it never flies in soccer, don't know why it would in hockey.

Instead, their idea to grow the game is to design 11 different jerseys and sell them to man-children.

It would be very Rangers to hold their most marketable player out of any hockey, have the season canceled, and then pay Marc Staal and Henrik Lundqvist for four more years.
It would also be very rangers fan to push for Laf to go to an international tournament, blow out his knee and never be the same, and then whine about it.

The injury argument is pretty lame, and it never flies in soccer, don't know why it would in hockey.

While soccer is intensely physical at times, hockey has that component on every shift so the ?potential? for injury is greater, I think. I?m troubled when my soccer players go play international games when we?re in the middle of playoffs. Disparage MLS all you want but it?s something I pay into as a fan to support and I want my guys winning here, now.

I agree that the NHL does look far past USA/Canada borders to grow the game and they should model the NBA and NFL to a greater degree. They?ve been heading there but not enough.

While soccer is intensely physical at times, hockey has that component on every shift so the ‘potential’ for injury is greater, I think. I’m troubled when my soccer players go play international games when we’re in the middle of playoffs. Disparage MLS all you want but it’s something I pay into as a fan to support and I want my guys winning here, now.

I agree that the NHL does look far past USA/Canada borders to grow the game and they should model the NBA and NFL to a greater degree. They’ve been heading there but not enough.

I don't think MLS honors international dates, do they? I don't remember exactly what it is, but they do it differently.

I don't care about the playing for Canada angle, I see this as a bi-product of the leagues disregard for the International game in general. There is no high level competition to determine a world champion in the game of hockey. That's crazy, to me.

• Like 1

I don't think MLS honors international dates, do they? I don't remember exactly what it is, but they do it differently.

I don't care about the playing for Canada angle, I see this as a bi-product of the leagues disregard for the International game in general. There is no high level competition to determine a world champion in the game of hockey. That's crazy, to me.

What tourney do you speak of for football, baseball, basketball? Olympics should be a no brainer for participation

Between the pandemic, him already being in it twice and mastering it, and just to avoid the risk of injury altogether, it makes too much sense. He just needs to have nothing but an NHL mindset right now. I really don't care if anyone north of the border is angry about it or not. lol Canada is always stacked anyway.

I'd rather have him join me and RJ for a puck shoot! He's not a junior anymore. ...and I don't wanna see any Ranger "bad" luck spawn out of nowhere and see this kid blow out an ACL.

This kid's a pro now, and as much as I can't wait to see him with the boys, THAT'S where he belongs: MSG.

I have no issue with them not sending him to the World Juniors. Pete, Josh and Sharpy, I share your thoughts...He's got nothing left to prove at that level.

I'd rather have him join me and RJ for a puck shoot! He's not a junior anymore. ...and I don't wanna see any Ranger "bad" luck spawn out of nowhere and see this kid blow out an ACL.

This kid's a pro now, and as much as I can't wait to see him with the boys, THAT'S where he belongs: MSG.

I have no issue with them not sending him to the World Juniors. Pete, Josh and Sharpy, I share your thoughts...He's got nothing left to prove at that level.

When's the puck shoot?

Why would an NHL player (which he is now) play in a junior tournament?

I know Canadians think the WJC is really important but NHL teams don’t give a fuck. Nor should they.

Andersson and Chytil both went their year after being drafted, and then called up to the Rangers at the end of the season to avoid the contract kicking in. Funny thing is that Howden and Hajek were both there, too, and that was 2 years after being drafted.

I guess I can see it for AHL players, but not NHLers.