• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Have Three of the Highest Value Assets in the NHL

LindG1000

https://theathletic.com/1606480/2020/11/30/nhl-trade-value-rankings/

47. Mika Zibanejad, Rangers ($5.35 million AAV for two more years). Zibanejad scored 41 goals last season ? in 57 games. That?s a 59-goal pace for 82 games. And Zibanejad didn?t even play regularly with Panarin; his most frequent linemate was Pavel Buchnevich. The emerging Rangers have themselves a bargain for the next two seasons.

17. Alexis Lafreniere, Rangers ($925,000 AAV for three years).

13. Artemi Panarin, Rangers ($11.642 million AAV for six more years). Is it possible he remains a little underrated? Panarin led the league with 38 assists and 59 points 5-on-5 last season. The Rangers outscored teams by 37 goals (75-38) when he was on the ice.

ADA gets an honorable mention here too. Oddly missing - Brendan Smith and Adam Fox.

Panarin earned his contract in season one. Pretty impressive feat under the pressure of delivering in the NY market. How many times have we seen a big time NY free agent signing, in any major sport, fall short of hopeful expectations? Dude has icewater in his veins. It is just one season though. If he does this for at least 4 seasons, it will have been a decent contract. If he does it for 7, it will be the one of the best free agent signings of all time.

Hell Yeah, Big Guy!!!

Best home ice advantage on the planet!!!

Thx for the support but there are plenty who will disagree. I wasn't in the Garden in '94 but have attended some playoff games in recent years and distinctly remember the loud craziness v. CAPs. Yeah, when we're in the thick of it, the fans get loud. Regular season? Not so much I'm afraid to say. We don't have the consistency of 'loudness' that we once had from the Blue Seat Brigade.

Loyalty? Yes, hands-down the best fans. Look at us at BSBH, after all the years of disappointment and getting kicked in the balls, we still support the boys no matter what.

Thx for the support but there are plenty who will disagree. I wasn't in the Garden in '94 but have attended some playoff games in recent years and distinctly remember the loud craziness v. CAPs. Yeah, when we're in the thick of it, the fans get loud. Regular season? Not so much I'm afraid to say. We don't have the consistency of 'loudness' that we once had from the Blue Seat Brigade.

Loyalty? Yes, hands-down the best fans. Look at us at BSBH, after all the years of disappointment and getting kicked in the balls, we still support the boys no matter what.

I’ve heard the garden get insanely loud at times but I don’t think it happens very often unfortunately

Loudest crowd I was ever a part of was in 1979 Game 6 Rangers/Isles. That last 8 second countdown when they finally cleared the puck, and the team swarmed JD after eliminating the Isles in 6. That was absolutely awesome!!!

In 1986 Rangers/Caps Game 4 when Bob Brooke scored the tying goal with about 3 minutes to go and then potted the winner in OT. That crowd was insanely electric that night as well.

But those 2 stick out in my mind as the loudest by A LOT!!

In 1986 Rangers/Caps Game 4 when Bob Brooke scored the tying goal with about 3 minutes to go and then potted the winner in OT. That crowd was insanely electric that night as well.

Yes! That particular game remains with me as about the loudest most electric Garden crowd in, I am embarrassed to say, my 52 years of going to games. In fact, walking down the stairwell after the game from the blue seats, the craziness continued, and I remember thinking that if we ever win the cup, this is what it will be like. In fact, the Game 7 cup win was not as electric. Most fans in the building had their stomachs in their throats. I had my head in my hands and did not utter a word for the final 15 minutes. Larry Brooks commented that it was strangely subdued and he was right. In truth, in about 1991, when there was a depression in NY and even playoff games were not selling out, the Garden got quieter and never really got the buzz back. In recent years, ticket prices and stub hub resales to tourists and pedestrian fans has changed the atmosphere a lot.

Along with that Caps game, I think of a Bruins game in 1971, when they were hated as much as the Islanders in later years and air horns and banners were still allowed, as the craziest Garden crowd that I have seen.

Loudest crowd I was ever a part of was in 1979 Game 6 Rangers/Isles. That last 8 second countdown when they finally cleared the puck, and the team swarmed JD after eliminating the Isles in 6. That was absolutely awesome!!!

But those 2 stick out in my mind as the loudest by A LOT!!

I saw a few games from that playoff run on MSG a long time ago. That was a really scrappy team, led by some Vezina-caliber goaltending from Beezer. It was a great run.

I don't know if you guys remember, but after Game 1 in '79 when the Rangers beat Montreal, they had a cartoon of JD in the Daily News like a brick wall stopping all the shots by the Montreal players....

Then after we got shelled in Game 2, they had the same cartoon with all the same shots making holes in JD with the pucks going into the net!!!

Classic!!! :rofl:

I was at a large 80s or early 90s amen where the crowd in a long low voice chanted " Pellllllll-lleeeee " to the Flyers

I was like," holy shit "

Oh Damn!!! I haven't heard that one in too long!!! Lindbergh was one helluva special player!!! He died my senior year in High School. I remember driving to school when I heard the news and I almost drove off the road, myself!! What a shame!

I was at a large 80s or early 90s amen where the crowd in a long low voice chanted " Pellllllll-lleeeee " to the Flyers

I was like," holy shit "

Oh my god, that's dark lol

And I thought the "sloppy seconds" chant 10 years after Avery made the comment was a bit much...

It's a shame to see what MSG has come in recent years. 90% of the old timers have passed, moved on, or simply have been priced out. Folks who actually care about the team are lucky to be able to afford to go to a handful of games a season if they're lucky and the atmosphere gets worse every year. The physical renovation of MSG didn't kill the atmosphere, there were plenty of games in the 2013-2016 run where it got pretty loud inside but the latest price increase in the last season we made the playoffs was the final nail in the coffin for the few "Diehards" who were barely holding onto tickets.

When I think back to the first year I got season tickets i remember there were hundreds of people who went to each and every game. From game 1 of the pre-season, through the final regular season or playoff game. Now there are maybe a handful of every night folks, and a hundred or so "regulars" who you consistently see around the building most nights.

At this point its way more fun to see them play on Long island or to make a vacation out of it and see them play in Vegas, Florida, or another nice city. The atmosphere is better, its cheaper and year over year more and more fans are showing up on the road so you feel like a part of something cool.

I wish I was a fan back in the day to experience the "blue seaters" and such. Watching old games, I'm amazed at how loud the crowds were compared to now where the diehards have been priced out and most of the people are just the corporate suits and/or just sitting on their hands most of the time. I think MSG post renovations looks great, but yeah, year by year it's still gradually losing its soul. It's kind of sad and disgusting that it costs so much to go to games now that you're pricing out your most passionate supporters.