• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Realignment of the NHL Will Hurt Rangers

Lord Al

https://bluelinestation.com/2020/11/21/the-new-york-rangers-playoffs-hopes-just-took-a-big-hit/?spot_im_social_network=google-connect

It gets worse

You think that’s bad? It gets worse. Right now it appears that teams will only play teams within their own divisions in a 60 game season. That means eight games or more against teams in your division. Yes, Tampa gets to play Detroit eight times. The Rangers get to play Boston and Washington eight times.

It’s going to be great for rivalries, but the absence of any balance in the makeup of these division is glaring. Face it, in this format, the Rangers are going to be screwed.

Can they fix it?

If the NHL goes with the standard playoff format it will be totally unfair. That would put the top three teams in each division in the playoffs with two additional wild card teams. The NHL needs to scrap this completely and try to make playoff participation equitable. How they do that will be difficult.

A solution would be to forget about geography and the East-West alignment. Put the Canada Division into a Conference with the East. Put the Central and West Divisions together. Then, allow the top two teams in each division in the playoffs, and then pick the wild card teams from the best of the rest in their conference.

Even that won’t work that well. The Rangers could finish fifth in the East, but lose out on the wild card because the fourth place team in the Canada Division has a better record against weaker competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Pittsburgh and Columbus out, Boston and Buffalo in.

Not a huge difference. You still have to be one of the best to win. If this small change has you outside the playoffs rather than in, you're not a good team.

I think it's a big enough difference. I could have seen the Rangers with an outside chance at vaulting Pittsburgh/Columbus/Carolina in the Metro. I don't really see them vaulting Washington or Philly, so it only left one top 3 spot left. Given that Boston is essentially a slam dunk top 3 spot in division, outside chance is reduced to zero chance.

I think it's a big enough difference. I could have seen the Rangers with an outside chance at vaulting Pittsburgh/Columbus/Carolina in the Metro. I don't really see them vaulting Washington or Philly, so it only left one top 3 spot left. Given that Boston is essentially a slam dunk top 3 spot in division, outside chance is reduced to zero chance.
Don't think Boston is a slam dunk at all.

Pasta out until March, Marchand out until February, no Krug or Chara. Goalie a question mark. Everyone a year older.

Both Boston and Washington are trending down in my mind.

Really, who cares, I don't see the point in complaining about divisional alignment when considering the current situation. It is what it is, and I'll just be thankful to have any kind of distraction.

That's fair. Didn't know they were that banged up on the injury front with their two best players.
Yeah, and then factor in a short season where it's hard to come back after missing camp and what not. Boston could be really behind in the standings by the time they're back in the lineup.

Six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, in my eyes. I don't give a rat's ass who they put in our division. This Rangers team is going to be a force to be reckoned with in about 2 years, no matter who we play against. They should be more worried about us, than we are of them!

I just wanna see them play....

SOON!!

• Like 1

Six of one, 1/2 dozen of the other, in my eyes. I don't give a rat's ass who they put in our division. This Rangers team is going to be a force to be reckoned with in about 2 years, no matter who we play against. They should be more worried about us, than we are of them!

I just wanna see them play....

SOON!!

*thumbs* I want my team to beat the best on their way to a Cup. Not looking for an easier path so it can be thrown back in our face when we win. Win like our '94 team either decisively or with formidable come-back ability...you just knew that team was in a position to win any game - they had heart and skills.

*thumbs* I want my team to beat the best on their way to a Cup. Not looking for an easier path so it can be thrown back in our face when we win. Win like our '94 team either decisively or with formidable come-back ability...you just knew that team was in a position to win any game - they had heart and skills.

I love where we're going with this franchise, big guy!! I now see the light you explained many years ago!!! I remember the feeling with that '94 team too; any team that came up against them shit their pants....I wanna feel that again in this squad, moving forward.

Kinda like my Raiders last night!! Damn, we gave those Chiefs a good battle!! I was proud of 'em!!!

I've got 2 teams on the rise!! I wanna see them both win in the same year!! Could you imaging the party I'll have for that???? :rofl:

I love where we're going with this franchise, big guy!! I now see the light you explained many years ago!!! I remember the feeling with that '94 team too; any team that came up against them shit their pants....I wanna feel that again in this squad, moving forward.

Kinda like my Raiders last night!! Damn, we gave those Chiefs a good battle!! I was proud of 'em!!!

I've got 2 teams on the rise!! I wanna see them both win in the same year!! Could you imaging the party I'll have for that???? :rofl:

10 people or less?

I mean realistically Boston is trending down with injuries, Tukka being Tukka, Caps are getting older, and we lose one of the better coached teams in Bjs and get Crosby and Malkin out of our division. Where is the “huge hit” from? It’s certainly not the easiest division but that’s laughable for the Sabres to be a hot take and a team to watch out for but not the Rangers? Yikes.

The Sabres haven't been relevant since Mogilny, and they were still no big deal. Maybe with the French Connection line back in the 70's with Rick Martin, Gil Perreault and Rene Robert....but other than that I never remember them being a force to reckon with.

Maybe....back....when...(Begin dream sequence....)

[video=youtube;VxnDeb-TLhE]

(I love this video!!!)

The Sabres haven't been relevant since Mogilny, and they were still no big deal. Maybe with the French Connection line back in the 70's with Rick Martin, Gil Perreault and Rene Robert....but other than that I never remember them being a force to reckon with.

Maybe....back....when...(Begin dream sequence....)

[video=youtube;VxnDeb-TLhE]

(I love this video!!!)

Rick Jeanneret is a national treasure

The fair point here is "okay, what the fuck do we do with playoffs?" because the 3/3/2wc layout is odd, especially since it's not entirely clear which conference gets the Canadian division and which gets the Central. That's a serious competition issue for the playoffs.

The rest of it is ridiculous - flipping Pitt and CBJ for Boston and Buffalo does utterly nothing to the competition level in the division. There are some very legitimate gripes here for some other teams (Minnesota and Dallas are trading travel for competition quality, Vegas probably isn't too happy to swap Vancouver, Edmonton, and Calgary for Dallas, Minnesota, and Colorado), but not for us.

• 4 weeks later...