Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Pfizer Says COVID-19 Vaccine is Looking 90% Effective

  1. #1
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    91,227
    Rep Power
    573

    Pfizer Says COVID-19 Vaccine is Looking 90% Effective

    Pfizer said Monday that an early peek at the data on its coronavirus vaccine suggests the shots may be a robust 90% effective at preventing COVID-19, putting the company on track to apply later this month for emergency-use approval from the Food and Drug Administration.

    The announcement, less than a week after a presidential election that was seen as a referendum on President Donald Trump’s handling of the crisis, was a rare and major piece of encouraging news lately in the battle against the scourge that has killed more than 1.2 million people worldwide, including almost a quarter-million in the U.S. alone.

    Pharmaceutical companies and various countries are in a global race to develop a vaccine against the virus.

    “We’re in a position potentially to be able to offer some hope,” Dr. Bill Gruber, Pfizer’s senior vice president of clinical development, told The Associated Press. “We’re very encouraged.”
    https://apnews.com/article/pfizer-va...42be22a2240ae8

    --

    Via CNN White House Correspondent, Kaitlan Collins, Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla noted that "the vaccine will be available for free to all American citizens."

    Pfizer also immediately shot down Mike Pence's claim that the vaccine is thanks to a partnership with the Trump administration's Operation Warp Speed, noting “[Pfizer] were never part of the Warp Speed ... We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”

    President-elect Biden also made a statement on it this morning:

    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,902
    Rep Power
    339
    This is amazing news. 90% effectiveness is above the bar for vaccines to create the artificial herd immunity we need them to, and many other vaccines are modeled similarly, so hopefully they will work too. Pfizer's vaccine is a 2-shot dose, which makes launching harder, but this is very much a "beggars cannot be choosers" thing - if it takes two doses to get the job done, it's our responsibility as citizens to take two doses and get it done. It's also absolutely incredible that Pfizer and their partners shattered the vaccine creation record by nearly three years (mumps holds the record at 4 years) - assuming it reaches and passes approval stages.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  3. #3
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Power
    28
    Holy crap, that's awesome. Do you think is something that will need to be done annually or one and done? I believe the shingles vaccine is a two-shot as well that only needs to be taken once.

  4. #4
    ImagineAcceptingTheTruth BSBH Prospect
    Parsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Posts
    11,460
    Rep Power
    122
    Science, it's a beautiful thing!!!!!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Midget Division
    4EverRangerFrank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    4,481
    Rep Power
    91
    Great news indeed. Hopeful that this is the tip of the magic-bullet spear coming soon to everyone around the globe.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Power
    28
    I was worried with the "Operation Warp Speed" that they may struggle to get a vaccine that's this highly effective so soon, so this is a great achievement.

  7. #7
    Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,072
    Rep Power
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    I was worried with the "Operation Warp Speed" that they may struggle to get a vaccine that's this highly effective so soon, so this is a great achievement.
    This vaccine is not part of Operation Warp Speed:
    Pfizer also immediately shot down Mike Pence's claim that the vaccine is thanks to a partnership with the Trump administration's Operation Warp Speed, noting “[Pfizer] were never part of the Warp Speed ... We have never taken any money from the U.S. government, or from anyone.”
    Which sucks because, if it was, there would probably be more doses available sooner.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    This vaccine is not part of Operation Warp Speed:


    Which sucks because, if it was, there would probably be more doses available sooner.
    Oh, damn. I jumped the gun. That's too bad. I thought they, someone, or Trump mentioned they would have 300,000,000 doses available to start.

  9. #9
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    91,227
    Rep Power
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    This is amazing news. 90% effectiveness is above the bar for vaccines to create the artificial herd immunity we need them to, and many other vaccines are modeled similarly, so hopefully they will work too. Pfizer's vaccine is a 2-shot dose, which makes launching harder, but this is very much a "beggars cannot be choosers" thing - if it takes two doses to get the job done, it's our responsibility as citizens to take two doses and get it done. It's also absolutely incredible that Pfizer and their partners shattered the vaccine creation record by nearly three years (mumps holds the record at 4 years) - assuming it reaches and passes approval stages.
    Agreed. I'm really hoping the majority of the country accept this. Thing is, it might take some political sheepherding to accomplish. If the CDC, Trump, and Biden all tout it's efficacy, will the majority of the American people take it? I'm really hoping so.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #10
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,932
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    Agreed. I'm really hoping the majority of the country accept this. Thing is, it might take some political sheepherding to accomplish. If the CDC, Trump, and Biden all tout it's efficacy, will the majority of the American people take it? I'm really hoping so.
    I think so. Yeah, you have your fair share of "anti-vacc'cers", but the majority are going to take it. Anything that brings them closer to a more "normal" life, and all that. People who are in the medical field and other front line workers, it would probably be required? I think that's against the law, though. But anyway, those, and the elderly are going to get first dibs.

  11. #11
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    91,227
    Rep Power
    573
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  12. #12
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    91,227
    Rep Power
    573
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  13. #13
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    Mistercosmic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    957
    Rep Power
    24
    It was developed in a German city best known for its carnival with terribly bad jokes. So you shouldn't be too hopeful

    Sent from my NEM-L51 using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  14. #14
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,902
    Rep Power
    339
    https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/1329876132745900033

    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  15. #15
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    jsm7302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    NW NJ
    Posts
    629
    Rep Power
    25
    God bless those whom have the chutzpah to put this in their bodies....

  16. #16
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,309
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by jsm7302 View Post
    God bless those whom have the chutzpah to put this in their bodies....
    If the FDA, CDC and experts are saying this is safe, no chutzpah required.

  17. #17
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,468
    Rep Power
    412
    Do those experts and governing bodies have some insight three years in to the future, or something?

    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...s-history.html

    It's a pretty simple risk/reward exercise IMO. The reward in taking a hastily produced vaccine, for a child, is minimal, as the virus poses virtually zero risk to them. This is a battle I'll probably lose in my own household, but I can reduce the issue down to this: We're going to ask children to take this risk to save 2% of our societies population of 85 year olds.

    Obviously, that's too reductive, and hyperbolic and blah blah blah, and yeah, it would be nice to get back to normal and kids will certainly benefit from that, but ffs, this is really the final act of the Boomers. Please, put your children at risk so we can live 18 more months.

  18. #18
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,309
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    Do those experts and governing bodies have some insight three years in to the future, or something?

    https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/co...s-history.html

    It's a pretty simple risk/reward exercise IMO. The reward in taking a hastily produced vaccine, for a child, is minimal, as the virus poses virtually zero risk to them. This is a battle I'll probably lose in my own household, but I can reduce the issue down to this: We're going to ask children to take this risk to save 2% of our societies population of 85 year olds.

    Obviously, that's too reductive, and hyperbolic and blah blah blah, and yeah, it would be nice to get back to normal and kids will certainly benefit from that, but ffs, this is really the final act of the Boomers. Please, put your children at risk so we can live 18 more months.
    Yeah, I'm not opening up the whole anti-vaxxer debate with you.

    They're not even asking anyone to vaccinate their kids with this version. It's for adults. They're continuing to develop one for children.

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews...%3fid=73364817

  19. #19
    Rural Supremacist BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    16,468
    Rep Power
    412
    I'm not making an anti-vaccination argument, nor do I subscribe to shit like that. This is particular to a vaccine that they've rushed to produce *in record time*. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the track record on vaccines is actually fantastic, but it isn't perfect.

  20. #20
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,309
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
    I'm not making an anti-vaccination argument, nor do I subscribe to shit like that. This is particular to a vaccine that they've rushed to produce *in record time*. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the track record on vaccines is actually fantastic, but it isn't perfect.
    Nothing is ever perfect. I'd actually ask if, under normal circumstances, why it takes so long to get vaccines developed? Is it so that people can justify their jobs, institutions can get paid off, so on and so forth?

    If it takes 5 years to develop a vaccine, you're still not going to know if there are negative side effects 7 years down the line when you start using it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •