• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Coyotes Renounce Rights to Controversial Draft Pick, Mitchell Miller

Phil

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how do people feel about employers not being able to see and know about criminal records? A travesty?

This kid was 14. If you all never sat in detention or got suspended in school then good for you. I certainly learned some lessons during that time. None of us can judge this fella through news reports.

So, how do people feel about employers not being able to see and know about criminal records? A travesty?

This kid was 14. If you all never sat in detention or got suspended in school then good for you. I certainly learned some lessons during that time. None of us can judge this fella through news reports.

In NY it’s a law that you can’t deny someone based on a conviction. And, this wouldn’t even show up on a background check.

Our company was sued because a recruiter wrote “must be able to pass a background check” on a job posting.

Do you realize the impact sm has on today’s teenagers? I knew a pastor’s daughter when I was a teen that would suck your dick dry on a daily basis. Learned that at Sunday mass?

And who allows their kids to have a SM account with free reign?

I'd argue your example is apples and oranges too, and that sexual curiosity is an innate biological behavior, while racism is a societal learned behavior.

By the way, many priests have fondled little boys too, so just because you are talking about a person in a position of religious leadership doesn't mean they are upstanding citizens or parents behind closed doors.

And who allows their kids to have a SM account with free reign?

I'd argue your example is apples and oranges too, and that sexual curiosity is an innate biological behavior, while racism is a societal learned behavior.

By the way, many priests have fondled little boys too, so just because you are talking about a person in a position of religious leadership doesn't mean they are upstanding citizens or parents behind closed doors.

Do you have kids or plan on it in the future?

Kids and teens do some very stupid things. This was very wrong and very cruel. But he did go through and completed the court process.

If the Coyotes and the NHL wanted him to undergo sensitivity training and community service, that would have been appropriate. To take his chance at a career away looks like overreach in the extreme.

Sorry, 8th grade, 14, is too young to cancel the guy. I know a lot of people who were involved in nasty bullying at that age who turned out to be good citizens and have genuine regret about their actions at that age.
There are also people who skate by without learning that what they did was wrong because they're good looking or popular or good at sports or not held accountable at home. Those people will repeat that predatory behavior because they believe they can. That fact that the judge did not believe he was remorseful and he never apologized to this kid and his family are massive red flags. He could have made it right but for whatever reason chose not to. In what universe do his parents fail to make him apologize to the kid and his family? Can we please not forget that they beat him up, too? This isn't cancel culture, it's a mom telling a horrific story about what happened to her child. She is using the court of public opinion (and bad publicity) to get satisfaction when Miller and his parents provided none.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you read the article? He hasn’t even apologized to the kid. The judge at his hearing didn’t believe he showed enough remorse either.

And it wasn’t an isolated event, he has a history of doing this kind of stuff.

I don’t know if dropping him was the right thing but I do think a precedent should be set to ensure that things like this aren’t going to be accepted/tolerated just because someone has skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

We live in a very emotionally charged world today. There is both a heightened awareness and significant sensitivity.

I doubt we have all the facts. Would be nice if the kid did apologize for his behavior while we have no idea what guidance this 14 year had. Was he told to stay away and not speak to the kid? How impaired is the kid? Would he remember if he was apologized too? How can the mother of 57 adopted kids know everything in their lives? How many years should a person be held responsible when their 14 year old developing adolescent mind demonstrated poor behavior (mean behavior)?

Doubt the article has all the facts. Maybe there is more to the story, maybe less, IDK. When do both kids move on? When does it end?

Very emotional times in the world today. I’m not sure what we’re looking for. Sometimes i get the feeling people are looking for the perfect world which sets the bar pretty high. Anything less than perfect there is an emotionally charged opposition who wants the less than perfect aspect destroyed with no let up. Did anybody asked the victim if he wanted Miller’s life ruined? What would his perfect world answer be?

Edit - and we learned, yes, Miller was told to stay away from Isiah.

We live in a very emotionally charged world today. There is both a heightened awareness and significant sensitivity.

I doubt we have all the facts. Would be nice if the kid did apologize for his behavior while we have no idea what guidance this 14 year had. Was he told to stay away and not speak to the kid? How impaired is the kid? Would he remember if he was apologized too? How can the mother of 57 adopted kids know everything in their lives? How many years should a person be held responsible when their 14 year old developing adolescent mind demonstrated poor behavior (mean behavior)?

Doubt the article has all the facts. Maybe there is more to the story, maybe less, IDK. When do both kids move on? When does it end?

Very emotional times in the world today. I?m not sure what we?re looking for. Sometimes i get the feeling people are looking for the perfect world which sets the bar pretty high. Anything less than perfect there is an emotionally charged opposition who wants the less than perfect aspect destroyed with no let up. Did anybody asked the victim if he wanted Miller?s life ruined? What would his perfect world answer be?

While there is a lot here I disagree with.... What does it matter "how disabled" the kid is? also the mother is a foster mother, she did not adopt 57 children so that's a bit of misinformation in your post...

What I will say is that I do agree in sentiment that we cannot deny for the rest of someone's lives their ability to make a livelihood based on teenage bullying. Let's say Miller was a lawyer and not an NHL prospect... Are they going to write letters to every law firm begging them not to hire Miller?

I don't know what I'd do in the moment if someone bullied my kid in this way, but I do know that after a couple of years I doubt I'd be tracking this kids whereabouts and making sure he doesn't get job offers.

If Miller is still a bullying racist, the Yotes would have found this out sooner than later. By all accounts he was a model citizen in the USHL and college.

While there is a lot here I disagree with.... What does it matter "how disabled" the kid is? also the mother is a foster mother, she did not adopt 57 children so that's a bit of misinformation in your post...

What I will say is that I do agree in sentiment that we cannot deny for the rest of someone's lives their ability to make a livelihood based on teenage bullying. Let's say Miller was a lawyer and not an NHL prospect... Are they going to write letters to every law firm begging them not to hire Miller?

I don't know what I'd do in the moment if someone bullied my kid in this way, but I do know that after a couple of years I doubt I'd be tracking this kids whereabouts and making sure he doesn't get job offers.

If Miller is still a bullying racist, the Yotes would have found this out sooner than later. By all accounts he was a model citizen in the USHL and college.

Our attorney and the arresting officer said Michael would never be able to get a job in law enforcement and would have a very difficult time becoming a lawyer. He was 15 at the time. Not that those are professions he would personally pursue, but the options aren’t there.

The letter, obtained by The Athletic, consisted of two lengthy paragraphs that painted his juvenile conviction as a life-changing event. There have been no further incidents, Miller said, adding that he?d had counseling, attended cultural diversity classes and had volunteered with physically disabled children.

Seems to me like he paid his price. I don?t agree with what he did, but you can?t hang it over his head for ever. He did something incredibly stupid, faced legal consequences and did was he was mandated to do. How is this not employment discrimination?

If someone got arrested for any other crime as a 14 year old, did their sentence, had the records sealed and was denied a job because of it, they?d have a good law suit in their hands.

In NY, police departments can?t opt to not hire someone based on adult drug/dwi charges. He may be a garbage person, but if he?s done everything he was required to do, then this seems extreme and more of a PR issue than anything else.

Our attorney and the arresting officer said Michael would never be able to get a job in law enforcement and would have a very difficult time becoming a lawyer. He was 15 at the time. Not that those are professions he would personally pursue, but the options aren’t there.

I don’t know how true that was, depending on what Michael was charged with. One of my best friends had 2 DWI’s in college and is a very successful lawyer now. He had to throw himself on the floor before the ethics committee when he passed the bar, but he was admitted.

Guys in the nypd have been hired with marijuana convictions, dwi’s, etc.

Short of rape and murder, there’s not much they can hold against you, especially as a juvenile.

Our attorney and the arresting officer said Michael would never be able to get a job in law enforcement and would have a very difficult time becoming a lawyer. He was 15 at the time. Not that those are professions he would personally pursue, but the options aren?t there.

What Michael dis is a bit different, but insert whatever profession you want. Pharmacist.

I don’t know how true that was, depending on what Michael was charged with. One of my best friends had 2 DWI’s in college and is a very successful lawyer now. He had to throw himself on the floor before the ethics committee when he passed the bar, but he was admitted.

Guys in the nypd have been hired with marijuana convictions, dwi’s, etc.

Short of rape and murder, there’s not much they can hold against you, especially as a juvenile.

Assault

Miller may become a casualty of the greater good. Some athletes have been known to be lionized in their communities and given a pass for poor behavior. This becomes a cautionary tale that could force those in a similar position as kids with potential in sport to control themselves and be better role models.

He has not been canceled. The world loves a redemption story. If he is truly repentant of his actions, he can use the spotlight on him in this moment, which was caused by his behavior, to create positive change. It is a step that "he’d had counseling, attended cultural diversity classes and had volunteered with physically disabled children." More steps are necessary. If he wants to repair the damage he has done, he will have to do more. And this moment in his life gives him that opportunity. He can use the spotlight he finds himself under. Or he can see himself as the victim and he'll fade away as a footnote to 2020.

That's on him.

Seems to me like he paid his price. I don’t agree with what he did, but you can’t hang it over his head for ever. He did something incredibly stupid, faced legal consequences and did was he was mandated to do. How is this not employment discrimination?

If someone got arrested for any other crime as a 14 year old, did their sentence, had the records sealed and was denied a job because of it, they’d have a good law suit in their hands.

In NY, police departments can’t opt to not hire someone based on adult drug/dwi charges. He may be a garbage person, but if he’s done everything he was required to do, then this seems extreme and more of a PR issue than anything else.

In the same way it wasn't "employment discrimination" when the league didn't want to sign Kaepernick. Rightfully or wrongfully, the market determined "we don't want to be associated with this," for whatever the reason, and reacted accordingly.

In the same way it wasn't "employment discrimination" when the league didn't want to sign Kaepernick. Rightfully or wrongfully, the market determined "we don't want to be associated with this," for whatever the reason, and reacted accordingly.

No, that's not what happened. One team in the market wanted to give him a chance. And then decided that it wasn't worth the PR nightmare associated with it, not "for whatever reason". That's the epitome of what's wrong with cancel culture.

No, that's not what happened. One team in the market wanted to give him a chance. And then decided that it wasn't worth the PR nightmare associated with it. That's the epitome of what's wrong with cancel culture.

With Miller? No. More than ten teams had him on their DND lists. One team drafted him, and then dealt with the public backlash, ultimately renouncing their rights under extreme public pressure. In other words, nearly a dozen or more teams said no. Is that cancel culture? Of a sort, yes, but it's still a market decision.

With Miller? No. More than ten teams had him on their DND lists. One team drafted him, and then dealt with the public backlash, ultimately renouncing their rights under extreme public pressure. In other words, nearly a dozen or more teams said no. Is that cancel culture? Of a sort, yes, but it's still a market decision.

You lead with "no", but then say exactly what I said in terms of how the events of drafting him went down LOL.

Who's the market? Fans or NHL FOs? The market for him is NHL FOs. And one FO decided to draft him.

The more I think about this, the more I think the Yotes are just huge pussies. They could have easily come out and said "We believe everyone deserves a second chance, so we're keeping him, and we're going to put him on a path to Allyship. We're going to put him into therapy and sensitivity training. If we're not satisfied with his progress, he'll never play here. There's a different way to combat racsim, created allies."

They took the easy way out.

It’s not comparable to Keap because CK walked away from the 49ers thinking he could get more money. He gambled and lost. They didn’t cut him. This kid was given a shot and then had it rescinded for something that was known before they made that offer.
  • Like 1