• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The Problem with Jon Stewart

Phil

Jon Stewart is headed back to our TV sets.

As part of an expansive, multiyear deal with Apple, the Emmy-drenched former writer, producer and host of The Daily Show is set to front an all-new current affairs series for the streaming service. The show, which will run for multiple seasons, puts Stewart back in the anchor?s chair as he explores a host of topics at the center of both the national conversation and his own advocacy work.

The still-untitled show, which will feature hourlong, single-subject episodes, will be executive produced by Stewart through his company Busboy Productions. In his role as EP, he?ll be joined by his longtime manager James Dixon and former HBO chief Richard Plepler, who via his EDEN Productions also has a rich deal at Apple. A showrunner for the forthcoming series, for which Apple is expected to offer a companion podcast, has yet to be named.

For Apple, nabbing Stewart?s Daily Show follow-up is a major coup. In his nearly two decades as host of the Comedy Central series, he earned 20 Emmys ? including 10 consecutive outstanding variety series wins ? and almost single-handedly redefined political satire in American culture. Though Stewart?s new entry won?t have a nightly or even weekly cadence, it?s poised to thrust Apple TV+ into the national dialogue in a richer way. In that effort, it joins another timely interviews series, The Oprah Conversation, at the streamer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jon-stewart-returns-with-current-affairs-series-for-apple-exclusive?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

I don't know, I feel like Apple is trying to tap in to an over-saturated market. People are already paying for tons of streaming services. This show isn't going to be daily, or weekly?

Bold strategy. We'll see if it pays off.

I agree, but it's Stewart. I think it's guaranteed eyeballs based on his popularity. It can basically be a cross between Last Week Tonight and My Next Guest Needs No Introduction.

• 11 months later...
  • Phil changed the title to The Problem with Jon Stewart