• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Lays Out Vision for 2021 Season in Private Call; Talks of January 13th Start Date

Phil

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on how you define a lot. Less than 1% maybe?

I also think Brian Burke nailed it down pretty good. It's about sharing the losses in an extraordinary circumstance. I don't think anybody envisioned having record deaths yesterday back when this deal was signed. If the players don't want to adjust that's fine but I certainly don't think the owners need to accommodate them and have a season. Choose your poison.

The problem is that the players did concede part of their salaries ale=ready in the deal 4 months ago. Its pretty ignorant to say that 4 months ago we didn't think it would still be bad. They warned us that a second wave was coming. We've heard it will be bad until a vaccine was out, which is still months away from being given out to a large number of people. Players have given up more than the owners. They locked themselves down without their families for months, they risked playing and getting sick, they gave back part of their salary, they donated to people working with the team that were laid off, but what have the owners given up? For some reason, it always falls on the players when the owners threaten to cancel a season. I mean, what are the safety precautions they are going too take for the players? Is it going to be a bubble type thing again where player are kept away from their families for months? If so, that a huge thing the players are giving up.

The problem is that the players did concede part of their salaries ale=ready in the deal 4 months ago. Its pretty ignorant to say that 4 months ago we didn't think it would still be bad. They warned us that a second wave was coming. We've heard it will be bad until a vaccine was out, which is still months away from being given out to a large number of people. Players have given up more than the owners. They locked themselves down without their families for months, they risked playing and getting sick, they gave back part of their salary, they donated to people working with the team that were laid off, but what have the owners given up? For some reason, it always falls on the players when the owners threaten to cancel a season. I mean, what are the safety precautions they are going too take for the players? Is it going to be a bubble type thing again where player are kept away from their families for months? If so, that a huge thing the players are giving up.

These are temporary relief adjustments.

Depending how the season goes, they could get a bunch of that money back.

They are not changing the CBA. These are necessary steps to ensure you have a business due to 'act of god'.

You need to step outside your union box, man, youre blinded by the current situation of the NHL and the world.

Weirdly, im pretty pro owner when it comes to sports. Yes the players are the reasons people pay attention but the owners in many cases, especially with hockey, take a lot of risks monetarily. Not every market runs itself so buying a team isn't always a money maker in this sport. I think the players are going to have to adjust to this despite a deal being previously made. If an owner is basically going to lose money, there are going to be situations where they lose less money not playing than playing.

In times like these, show any owner a bottom line where they might lose 20 million not playing but lost 50 million if they do play and you'll get a resounding "dont play" vote in my opinion. Heard Brian Burke saying this earlier and it's just so true.

They are not changing the CBA. These are necessary steps to ensure you have a business due to 'act of god'.

You need to step outside your union box, man, youre blinded by the current situation of the NHL and the world.

It's got nothing to do with the union, I don't even know why you're bringing this up. I just don't support the owners crying they have no money when I don't see them giving up anything or making any donations. I don't want to hear them cry about losing money when they let tons of workers go. The fact is that they made a deal 4 months ago, so to say that they didn't know it was going to be this bad, when everyone else seemed to know it was going to get worse. Were they really that ignorant at that time? I never said they were changing the CBA, but if they cancel the season, it could very well effect the CBA because there is an agreement in place, and it doesn't matter what the current situation is. A contract is a contract, when the players made the concession 4 months ago, both sides agreed. I again say, if the players are giving up more of their salary, what are the owners giving up? Why should we expect just one side to give in and not the other?

Im tired of hearing the owners cry about their finances when they don't give two shits about the fans. When their team does bad, they never lower ticket prices, sometimes they raise them. Its like that in all sports. If they cared about the fans, they wouldn't price them out of attending games. Thats why I don't support the owners in this, because they expect everyone else to give to them, but they don't return the favor.

Weirdly, im pretty pro owner when it comes to sports. Yes the players are the reasons people pay attention but the owners in many cases, especially with hockey, take a lot of risks monetarily. Not every market runs itself so buying a team isn't always a money maker in this sport. I think the players are going to have to adjust to this despite a deal being previously made. If an owner is basically going to lose money, there are going to be situations where they lose less money not playing than playing.

In times like these, show any owner a bottom line where they might lose 20 million not playing but lost 50 million if they do play and you'll get a resounding "dont play" vote in my opinion. Heard Brian Burke saying this earlier and it's just so true.

But what happens overall to the sport? Thats the issue. You cancel right now, there are huge repercussions for the future. I don't care how much money the players get, but there needs to be some onus on the owners for crafting a shitty deal 4 months ago. They played ignorant back then, and now they want more give backs or they are cancelling the season. If the season gets cancelled, the sport is dead. They will lose fans and not get them back. Every sport is dealing with this, and still playing. Both sides need to figure it out and get to playing. There is no reason why the NBA, who ended after the NHL, is already in camp, and these two can't figure it out.

But what happens overall to the sport? Thats the issue. You cancel right now, there are huge repercussions for the future. I don't care how much money the players get, but there needs to be some onus on the owners for crafting a shitty deal 4 months ago. They played ignorant back then, and now they want more give backs or they are cancelling the season. If the season gets cancelled, the sport is dead. They will lose fans and not get them back. Every sport is dealing with this, and still playing. Both sides need to figure it out and get to playing. There is no reason why the NBA, who ended after the NHL, is already in camp, and these two can't figure it out.

Well yes, and no. Every sport played a first season through covid. No season as of yet has gone a second season. NBA is first but that sport is a very different in my mind at least here in this country. An NBA roster is like 15 people with no real system to speak of compared to the NHL. Also the popularity difference between the two is night and day in my mind in terms of what it can survive with losses and revenue outside of just gate money. An owner that buys an NBA team in any city in North America sans 2-3 places is going to be much better off compared to an NHL counterpart. What the owners and players agreed to back in July pales in comparison to what they believed would be going on today, which is in many cases worse. That can’t just be brushed aside with a “they signed this” in unprecedented times. They are 50/50 partners in this and that means you can’t say fuck you pay me right now.

Just my opinion here.

Well let's start here - how do you plead "act of god" for NHL when you've got your NBA teams and your NFL teams and your MLS teams and your EPL teams (Kroenke owns the Avs and Arsenal FC) and your MLB teams, etc, etc playing? "Not play" is not an execution of a force majeure, it's a lockout. If owners think they're going to lose money not playing, the lawsuit the players will win is a straight up money toilet.

Further, they just redid the CBA and agreed to it four months ago. The owners may have finally fucked up in their negotiations for the first time ever, but they codified a deal.

However - in no small part due to the escrow system, taxes, and so on - the idea on the table is actually decent for the players, especially players with some longer-term deals or higher value contracts. It's really bad for new players and bottom 6 types, because they simply lack the financial security to benefit from the owners proposal and will have to deal with the financial commitments owners made prior to their contracts. Fox and Lafreniere, for example, are simply not going to be paid their worth for 7 more years.

The players actually have the owners over a table here, and they should extract a pound of flesh in exchange for agreement. I'd imagine they players should ask for - at the absolute minimum - interest on the loan greater than annual return on sound investment.

Well let's start here - how do you plead "act of god" for NHL when you've got your NBA teams and your NFL teams and your MLS teams and your EPL teams (Kroenke owns the Avs and Arsenal FC) and your MLB teams, etc, etc playing? "Not play" is not an execution of a force majeure, it's a lockout. If owners think they're going to lose money not playing, the lawsuit the players will win is a straight up money toilet.

Further, they just redid the CBA and agreed to it four months ago. The owners may have finally fucked up in their negotiations for the first time ever, but they codified a deal.

However - in no small part due to the escrow system, taxes, and so on - the idea on the table is actually decent for the players, especially players with some longer-term deals or higher value contracts. It's really bad for new players and bottom 6 types, because they simply lack the financial security to benefit from the owners proposal and will have to deal with the financial commitments owners made prior to their contracts. Fox and Lafreniere, for example, are simply not going to be paid their worth for 7 more years.

The players actually have the owners over a table here, and they should extract a pound of flesh in exchange for agreement. I'd imagine they players should ask for - at the absolute minimum - interest on the loan greater than annual return on sound investment.

Canada.

Can't compare NHL to NFL based on revenue and reach. Plus they mostly play outside.

MLS, does that even count? They did a bubble tournament.

MLB - mostly play outside.

NBA has half as many players and they each have a duffel bag with all of their equipment.

You also ignore the cost of upkeep in keeping a big sheet of ice frozen for an extended period of time.

If the owners can prove they/league as a whole would lose more money playing at the current conditions, vs not playing, they're fine.

If the PA chooses not to take cuts to play hockey this season, the players would get paid out of the PA emergency fund, and not their contracts.

One thing that jumps out of Brooks' Sunday column; officially tired of rich people who own sports franchises crying poverty. If it's that bad, sell the team to someone who doesn't whine like a bitch every time economic circumstances give you a tough few years. IS the NHL being run as a long term proposition by wealthy people, or is it a bunch of mom&pop douchebags?Made a deal 4 months ago, and now, you want to complain? GFYS. Especially Jacobs/Bruins; you have more than enough money, look at the long term.

Arizona; move already. If anyone else is in a bad market, this should be the break they need to move.Not fans nor players' fault you think throwing good money after bad matters more than playing.

And there is an element of preserving the game. Cancelling a season because of 2nd rough year is stupidity business wise. Long term you need to play. Better you have another dog's breakfast than nothing.

In a normal world I would absolutely agree. In a pandemic I don't think canceling a hockey season is more than a blip on the screen. It's a niche sport and even more so in these circumstances. Will we miss it surely. Will the rest of the society, where many are struggling with so many other things, I'm going with not even a little.

IF it's that important for the good of the game than share the pain under the extraordinary circumstances. I also think comparing it to other sports is irrelevant because of costs, revenue etc. NHL revenue compared to NFL, NBA and MLB is a fraction of the others.

What I am thankful for is the latest disagreement between the two sides us getting virtually no visibility these days. Unfortunately it's because of such a dire situation where many are left scrambling to pay the bills and take care of their families all while hoping to avoid a virus that can be a rough ride or worse.

There was a tweet from Chris Johnston earlier about a bunch of Senators players came into town over the weekend to start their 14-day quarantine. I cant find the tweet right now...

Wild players came in last week:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2020/11/30/21727623/wild-players-starting-to-arrive-in-minnesota-including-kaprizov-minnesota-nhl-prospects-draft-roster

Canadiens Romanov traveled to NA last week.

I know there a bunch of Rangers in the NY area, but I havent heard about anyone from overseas coming back yet.

Anyone see/hear any other news of players training or quarantining?

Even without the details worked out, guys getting ready for camp is optimistic for an NHL season.

Well yes, and no. Every sport played a first season through covid. No season as of yet has gone a second season. NBA is first but that sport is a very different in my mind at least here in this country. An NBA roster is like 15 people with no real system to speak of compared to the NHL. Also the popularity difference between the two is night and day in my mind in terms of what it can survive with losses and revenue outside of just gate money. An owner that buys an NBA team in any city in North America sans 2-3 places is going to be much better off compared to an NHL counterpart. What the owners and players agreed to back in July pales in comparison to what they believed would be going on today, which is in many cases worse. That can?t just be brushed aside with a ?they signed this? in unprecedented times. They are 50/50 partners in this and that means you can?t say fuck you pay me right now.

Just my opinion here.

But my point is that the owners want the players to bend, but they don't want to bend themselves. In my opinion, if the league shuts down, the sport is in deep trouble that it may never recover from. The owners stand point is give us what we want or we don't play, doesn't sound like they are willing to negotiate at all over this, its one or the other.

There was a tweet from Chris Johnston earlier about a bunch of Senators players came into town over the weekend to start their 14-day quarantine. I cant find the tweet right now...

Wild players came in last week:

https://www.hockeywilderness.com/2020/11/30/21727623/wild-players-starting-to-arrive-in-minnesota-including-kaprizov-minnesota-nhl-prospects-draft-roster

Canadiens Romanov traveled to NA last week.

I know there a bunch of Rangers in the NY area, but I havent heard about anyone from overseas coming back yet.

Anyone see/hear any other news of players training or quarantining?

Even without the details worked out, guys getting ready for camp is optimistic for an NHL season.

Haven't heard details, but I'd imagine that the NBA getting started is going to put some pressure on.

I'd also guess there might be some players worried that if COVID keeps going off like it has been in the states, they simply won't be able to get there.

-From an NHL team exec this monrning, FWIW: "NHL is season is starting Jan 13th. Confirmed last night. We are going to be playing 56 games."

? Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) December 8, 2020-

Looks like they got over cba hurdles. Woohoo. Finally.

Yes! Hopefully an official announcement soon. I think the NHL knows potential canceled season could spell doom for the league. It looks like an all Canadian division will be a thing, and will be interesting to see how they re-align the American teams with new divisional setups. But, I'm just really glad there's going to be hockey. This time of year I'm sitting in a dimly lit living room with my Christmas tree on, drinking hot chocolate and watching hockey. I miss doing that. At least when the season starts, I'll still have the hot chocolate part.

Dear NHL.TV[emoji769] subscriber,

This is to notify you that, as a 2019-20 NHL.TV[emoji769] subscriber who has opted for automatic renewal, your automatic renewal of your 2020-21 season NHL.TV[emoji769] subscription is scheduled to occur on or around January 10, 2021.

As a 2019?20 NHL.TV[emoji769] subscriber and based on your preferences, you don't have to do a thing. Your subscription will automatically renew so you will be all set to begin watching the 2020-21 NHL season action.

You will receive a final subscription pricing notification no less than one week before the start of the 2020-21 NHL season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

Dear NHL.TV[emoji769] subscriber,

This is to notify you that, as a 2019-20 NHL.TV[emoji769] subscriber who has opted for automatic renewal, your automatic renewal of your 2020-21 season NHL.TV[emoji769] subscription is scheduled to occur on or around January 10, 2021.

As a 2019–20 NHL.TV[emoji769] subscriber and based on your preferences, you don't have to do a thing. Your subscription will automatically renew so you will be all set to begin watching the 2020-21 NHL season action.

You will receive a final subscription pricing notification no less than one week before the start of the 2020-21 NHL season.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Got the same thing.