• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Some GMs Calling for Changes to NHL Draft Lottery

Lord Al

Here's my solution: take the number of points that a team has after 62 games and subtract from it the number of points that it gets during the final 20 games. The team with the fewest points by this calculation gets the top pick. This creates an incentive to do well at the end while still assuring that a poor team gets the pick. A team that is third from the bottom after 62 games can get the top pick by closing the season well. No one is likely to tank during the first 62 games, and they obviously won't tank when it will only hurt them in the final 20 games.

Do they know how the lottery will work with Seattle yet?

Overall for the lottery, I support limiting how far a team can fall but Detroit shouldnt just get a guaranteed 1st pick because they are this bad.

maybe you can factor in how many points a team has towards the odds?

I had seen an idea in past years that had the odds impacted by points after clinching missing the playoffs

so theoretically a team as bad as detroit had a lot more time to get points after they were mathematically eliminated, which in theory would help their odds at a pick.