• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hartnett: Rangers 'Absolutely' Should Look into Acquiring Jonathan Toews

Phil

I mean Toews was a solid player back in the day, BUT he hasn't been THAT much better than what we just got out of Strome points wise. Somehow he put up career high numbers in 18/19, but the guy is a 60ish point guy. I don't give up ANY assets and pay half that 10.5 mill cap hit for a 32 year old 60 point player, when the Rangers already have a guy that fits in the locker room and costs less cap wise AND they don't give up assets.

Gimme Strome at 4.5 mill for 2+ more years and use the assets for other pieces. Or use the assets for a guy in his prime that can put up 80 points.

It'd have to be an absolute salary dump that costs the Rangers nothing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our dead cap space of $13 million is what pains us a bit this coming season, but after that I think we're going to have a great handle on things moving forward.

Dead cap doesn’t help. But I don’t think this off-season or this season coming up was going to have much going on anyway.

It’s not a great class of FA’s as is.

And between the China Plague and the cap issues it’s causing, not much in way of trades to make a good sized upgrade.

It’s no big deal.

This is the transition year now. Between rebuilding and contending

If the price is right they have to consider getting Toews or any player for that matter.

I would offer Chytil, Buchnevich & Robertson as a starter and see what they counter with Chicago retaining salary.

Toews while aging is still one of the best forwards in the NHL. They're gonna want Fox, Kakko, MIller and more. They're not gonna take B level prospects for him, they'll want A ones whoa re still on ELCs.

If you want an aging Toews, the cap will force out at least one of many prospects you want to keep along with those needed to acquire Toews.

His age, his cost, the cap and loss of prospects makes this a bad fit IMO.

There will be others. Patience please :)