• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Tony DeAngelo to 2-Year/$9.6M Extension; $4.8M AAV

Scott

Very good. Knew he wasn't going to break 5 million. This is a perfect set up moving forward. A real "prove it" contract. If he can keep up the production, they can re-up. It also gives them time to see if Lundkvist can be a player.

Really hope they give DeAngelo a long look on the top pair with Trouba.

It's so much fun having a heel. Especially when he's loved ny his teammates. He genuinely seems like a really good dude to me, despite some lapses in judgment, when you look through the BS.

If Sean Avery, and actual garbage human being, like, a literal piece of fucking shit, can be a hero, Tony should be a shoe in.

This gives them all the runway they need to make a long-term decision on him as the league should be exiting it's flat cap projections. He'll still be an RFA at the end of this, so they can either flip him or keep him once they've made a determination on whether or not he fits their big picture.

It's so much fun having a heel. Especially when he's loved ny his teammates. He genuinely seems like a really good dude to me, despite some lapses in judgment, when you look through the BS.

If Sean Avery, and actual garbage human being, like, a literal piece of fucking shit, can be a hero, Tony should be a shoe in.

Yeah, again, the goal is to piss off the other team and their fans. Not your own. But I do agree that his on-ice game is easy to cheer for on that front.

What makes Avery a garbage human?

This gives them all the runway they need to make a long-term decision on him as the league should be exiting it's flat cap projections. He'll still be an RFA at the end of this, so they can either flip him or keep him once they've made a determination on whether or not he fits their big picture.

It's the safest route for sure, which might make it the best route for where the team is at right now. There's a chance he becomes a cog that the Rangers might feel like they have to keep though, and his next contract would put him in a much higher cap bracket. He could be their Letang. There's a lot of variables at play on top of it. Will Fox continue to trend upwards? Will Lundkvist have time to show enough promise?

It's the safest route for sure, which might make it the best route for where the team is at right now. There's a chance he becomes a cog that the Rangers might feel like they have to keep though, and his next contract would put him in a much higher cap bracket. He could be their Letang. There's a lot of variables at play on top of it. Will Fox continue to trend upwards? Will Lundkvist have time to show enough promise?

This is absolutely the right kind of deal on him, right term, right money.

And as you said, gives them time to figure everything out.

I wouldn't call it a bargain, given that he has just one good NHL season under his belt, but this is fair to both sides. After the coming season, it should be pretty apparent whether he's the real deal and worthy of a big long term contract.

I'm not a huge advocate of DeAngelo, but I can handle this one. Good work by the boys up top to keep him around at a bit of a bargain, and build more value under that 2 year window. If this kid ever learns how to navigate his defensive zone, he'd be a steal and a half.....I'd like to see some more defensive progress in him this coming season.

This is a good deal. Cap isn't terrible, term isn't terrible.

My worry here, so to speak, is this:

1 - He has to play left side at even strength in order to be worth this deal. This is now pretty much non-negotiable, unless Fox can do it.

2 - He has to prove that last season wasn't an anomaly

3 - His defense writ large has to be better. He has to take the leap from being a South Jersey John-Michael Liles to being a more complete defender.

The deal itself isn't risky, but his value might never have been higher.