• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Tony DeAngelo to 2-Year/$9.6M Extension; $4.8M AAV

Scott

This is a good deal. Cap isn't terrible, term isn't terrible.

My worry here, so to speak, is this:

1 - He has to play left side at even strength in order to be worth this deal. This is now pretty much non-negotiable, unless Fox can do it.

2 - He has to prove that last season wasn't an anomaly

3 - His defense writ large has to be better. He has to take the leap from being a South Jersey John-Michael Liles to being a more complete defender.

The deal itself isn't risky, but his value might never have been higher.

I was hoping they would deal him as well.

Who knows G man, maybe he'll have another year like last season and be worth even more. It's kinda like the Rangers are kicking the tires some more on him, and like you said, there's not a lot of risk here. As far as his defense goes, I don't think he could regress very much, and it's fairly clear of what he can do offensively....So let's see how he does, and what the hell, who knows....he may just work out and turn into a great player for us.

I'm hoping for the best either way, but I like this deal. :thumbs:

• Like 1

I was hoping they would deal him as well.

Who knows G man, maybe he'll have another year like last season and be worth even more. It's kinda like the Rangers are kicking the tires some more on him, and like you said, there's not a lot of risk here. As far as his defense goes, I don't think he could regress very much, and it's fairly clear of what he can do offensively....So let's see how he does, and what the hell, who knows....he may just work out and turn into a great player for us.

I'm hoping for the best either way, but I like this deal. :thumbs:

Bang on, Ozzy. I think they could have flipped him for a pretty good LD and/or 2c, and that might have been the shot, but this feels really low risk for the team so I can't actually be too upset.

I'll be pulling for him all day every day, and I hope last year wasn't a high point for him.

• Like 1

This is a good deal. Cap isn't terrible, term isn't terrible.

My worry here, so to speak, is this:

1 - He has to play left side at even strength in order to be worth this deal. This is now pretty much non-negotiable, unless Fox can do it.

2 - He has to prove that last season wasn't an anomaly

3 - His defense writ large has to be better. He has to take the leap from being a South Jersey John-Michael Liles to being a more complete defender.

The deal itself isn't risky, but his value might never have been higher.

The deal is so manageable that if, for whatever reason, he just can't replicate last year's stats, they can easily move him.

I just feel like he's still getting better. The Rangers as a whole are still getting better. I can't really see him doing worse than last year. I don't know if he'll continue to get top PP time, but like I said, if he becomes redundant he'll be a valuable asset to almost any team.

Re Avery: this was cool

February 2011: In an interview with QMI Agency, Avery offers to support any hockey player struggling to come out of the closet. “If there’s a kid in Canada or wherever, who is playing and really loves the game and wants to keep playing but he’s worried about coming out, I’d tell him to pick up the phone and call (NHLPA executive director) Donald Fehr and tell him to book me a (plane) ticket,” he says. “I’ll stand beside him in the dressing room while he tells his teammates he is gay. Maybe if Sean Avery is there, they would have less of a problem with it.” Later in the year, Avery records a public service announcement supporting the “New Yorkers for Marriage Equality Campaign.”

unquote

didn't know he said that. personally i love the guy. might have been an asshole but he was ours.

on the signing, a nice day for rangerstown. good deals for both guy and gives us a good look for long term.

could easily flip either one of those contracts.

looked at TDAs twitter. is he dating a tottenville chick? Brii. looked like it. im partial as i grew up in S.I.

Is tony's podcast any good?

Not really. Ive listened to a couple of episodes, the guys he has on it with him are boring. Even the Avery episode was nt that good. They could have asked him some good shit, yet they went with the stuff everyone knows about him. Avery's podcast is pretty good though. Some of his interviews were boring, so I cut those short, but most are listenable. Id definitely listen to Avery's over Tony's. PK Suban had one, and it was so so, but he hasn't done any new episodes in weeks. He had Avery on as well, or vice versa.

This is a pretty good deal. Lets us see what he can do, and even experiment with him on his off side. if he isn't what we hoped, he can still be moved at the deadline in 2 years.

It's so much fun having a heel. Especially when he's loved ny his teammates. He genuinely seems like a really good dude to me, despite some lapses in judgment, when you look through the BS.

If Sean Avery, and actual garbage human being, like, a literal piece of fucking shit, can be a hero, Tony should be a shoe in.

Well said B.S. as usual, professor. Terrible.

• 1 month later...
Sergachev just signed for 3 yrs 14.4M.

Makes the DeAngelo deal not look as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why? Its the same AAV. Sergachev is 3 years younger. ADA scored 20 more points. Its essentially the same deal. Why is one better than the other?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why? Its the same AAV. Sergachev is 3 years younger. ADA scored 20 more points. Its essentially the same deal. Why is one better than the other?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Sergachev is talked about as a possible future Norris Trophy candidate and is 3 yrs younger.

ADA isn't very good defensively.

On the same deal I much rather have Sergachev.

Plus Sergachev is the much coveted LD.

Sergachev is talked about as a possible future Norris Trophy candidate and is 3 yrs younger.

ADA isn't very good defensively.

On the same deal I much rather have Sergachev.

Plus Sergachev is the much coveted LD.

Come back in 3 years and have this conversation. It doesn?t make any sense to make the comparison now because of their age difference.