• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Re-Sign Alexandar Georgiev to 2-Year/$4.85M Extension; $2.425M AAV

Phil

Yes, I remember. You were ultimately right on where he'd land, but just because the Rangers agreed to it doesn't mean it's market value. I find it very odd that they wouldn't go arbitration, and I still don't think he would have gotten this much there.

Jake Allen isn't a comparable because he is better and sold UFA years. Georgiev had little leverage. So, very odd decision to go this high by the Rangers IMO.

So your argument is they just arbitrarily offered him a dollar amount that had nothing to do with market value?

They hand out a lot of shitty contracts. Just look at the buyout list, for confirmation.

Sure but last week people lost their shit that Jesper Fast wasn't paid 2 million dollars and now people are pissed Georgiev was paid 2.4.

Seems to me like people just like to complain.

Sure but last week people lost their shit that Jesper Fast wasn't paid 2 million dollars and now people are pissed Georgiev was paid 2.4.

Seems to me like people just like to complain.

And then somebody was complaining that they didn't have any Vet leadership lol

I don't really have any issue with this. It's pretty much in line with deals handed out to goaltenders in similar RFA positions over the last few years. The Rangers likely envision Georgiev as more of a tandem partner to Shesterkin as opposed to a pure backup. He's being paid pretty much in line, if not less, than most goaltenders in those roles.

I wonder how much of it is insurance in case Shesty's injury last season turns out to be a chronic issue? Over pay Georgie a bit knowing he may be getting more playing time than the average backup...... Hopefully I'm wrong (not the first time, just ask Mrs. Dr. Jimmy) just speculating....

I wonder how much of it is insurance in case Shesty's injury last season turns out to be a chronic issue? Over pay Georgie a bit knowing he may be getting more playing time than the average backup...... Hopefully I'm wrong (not the first time, just ask Mrs. Dr. Jimmy) just speculating....

How much do you think the average backup makes? Allen is making 4.3 million to back up Price. Fleury is making 7. Aaron Dell, who stinks, got a 800k. Mike Smith got 2. Braden Holtby got 4.3 to share time with Demko. Raanta makes 4.5. Stalock makes 2.3. It's all over the map.

I think you have to assume that with a crammed schedule next year the backup goalie is going to play a lot of games. It's worth paying someone who can actually stop pucks.

Here, here. I love Georgies no non-sense game. Not flashy by any means, just calm cool and collected. He's very efficient and gives the team confidence but does have the occasional "bad night" (see vs. Tampa). This was a really good signing.

Agreed Browny!!! Also fits that magic 2 year window they are creating... Well done by the boys at the top.

31 also made a solid point about these backups, and the packed schedule for this coming season; Georgie is kinda the "devil we know", and that's worth the trip (...and this contract!), as they say at Dunkin Donuts! :rofl: