• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should the Rangers Have Interest in Joe Thornton?

Lord Al

Thornton is gettin ready to play, that is certain. Where he will land is to be determined because he is not signing with anyone right now. When he does sign, he will likely go for a contender or back home to San Jose.

However, what if Joe would like one season playing at Madison Square Garden? What if the Rangers have a million dollars to give him for one season? It isn’t out of the realm of possibility, especially if things turn out badly with Ryan Strome and his upcoming arbitration case.

https://www.foreverblueshirts.com/jumbo-joe-thornton-on-the-rangers-msg-jumbotron-why-not/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

No. He wants to win. We can't even say with honesty that the Rangers are likely to even make the playoffs, let alone win a Cup.

San Jose won't win either, but that's his home. If he wants to win, Toronto offer a measurably better opportunity to do so.

The rangers don't have a single player over 30.

I see that as a big problem and I would love Thornton here, not for his hockey skills (because they're pretty much gone) but for a fatherly figure in that locker room. He's known to be beloved by his teammates.

There are plenty of players on the team who are in their late 20s, and they have been around for a long time now. Assigning the age of 30 as the cutoff for when players can be veteran leaders on a team is pretty arbitrary.

There are plenty of players on the team who are in their late 20s, and they have been around for a long time now. Assigning the age of 30 as the cutoff for when players can be veteran leaders on a team is pretty arbitrary.

It is, but the idea of adding a gray beard or two when you're read for a run is, I think, a valuable one. There's something galvanizing about adding a guy going for it like that.

I'm not using 30 as a cut off, I'm just making the point that the team is crazy young. It would be nice to have to have a legit NHL legend in the room to help out when the average age is probably around 25 or under.

Paired with Panarin, is he an upgrade over Strome at under 2 million? He certainly ups the teams chances at being a contender. But I feel like this team is closer to being a contender than most.

Shit, I had them pegged as a playoff team in January this past season. If not for Covid that would have come true. With the end result being the Rangers getting the first overall pick, I can't be upset that they didn't advance in the play in... But this team was going to make it had they not had to stop playing. I find it odd how many people here don't consider the Rangers a playoff team.

Paired with Panarin, is he an upgrade over Strome at under 2 million? He certainly ups the teams chances at being a contender. But I feel like this team is closer to being a contender than most.

Shit, I had them pegged as a playoff team in January this past season. If not for Covid that would have come true. With the end result being the Rangers getting the first overall pick, I can't be upset that they didn't advance in the play in... But this team was going to make it had they not had to stop playing. I find it odd how many people here don't consider the Rangers a playoff team.

Because they were wildly inconsistent. They wound go a good 8gsme stretch where they were lights out then lose to teams they had no business losing to. Also when push came to shove, they had two crushing defeats to the Flyers later in the season.

As for thrm ring a playoff team. I agree with them being very close but it was not a certainty at all. They weren't in a playoff position at the pause and a couple of teams line the Isles had games in hand I think. They were just too inconsistent to trust and say 100% they were making it. They were 2-4-1in their last 7games I think after an awesome stretch where it really looked like they turned the corner.

We should have as much interest in adding Joe Thornton as I do in going to a nursing home.

Let's get real. 41 is 41. There comes a point when guys like this decline very quickly, as we know from Marty St. Louis and Dan Boyle.

I don't think you're expecting the same thing from Joe Thornton as you are Marty St. Louis.