• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Dexter: New Blood

Phil

After a sojourn in the Pacific Northwest, Dexter is headed back to Showtime.

The premium cable outlet has ordered a 10-episode Dexter limited series that will reunite star Michael C. Hall and original showrunner Clyde Phillips. The show will be a continuation of the original, eight-season series, which ended in 2013 with Hall's Dexter Morgan going on self-imposed exile as a lumberjack and living a solitary life.

Production is scheduled to begin early next year for planned fall 2021 premiere.

"Dexter is such a special series, both for its millions of fans and for Showtime, as this breakthrough show helped put our network on the map many years ago," said Showtime Entertainment president Gary Levine. "We would only revisit this unique character if we could find a creative take that was truly worthy of the brilliant, original series. Well, I am happy to report that Clyde Phillips and Michael C. Hall have found it, and we can't wait to shoot it and show it to the world."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dexter-revived-at-showtime-for-limited-series

The ratings for this show absolutely tanked coming out of season seven, I believe. The finale routinely breaks the top-ten worst endings for a scripted television show in entertainment articles and listicals ever since. Showtime did just end it's run with Homeland, which was a ratings hit for them, so I can see why they'd have interest in a nostalgia run, but I'm not sure it'll be there. Fans largely hated where it went after season four, and loathed how they chose to end it.

I've heard all of the negativity about it as Phil mentioned. I am still somewhat interested in binging it at some point, though, just to check it out for myself finally. Are there maybe seasons or chunks of episodes I can skip? I've heard the show is very hit or miss across most of the seasons. It kind of sounds to me like maybe it went on a bit too long.

I've heard all of the negativity about it as Phil mentioned. I am still somewhat interested in binging it at some point, though, just to check it out for myself finally. Are there maybe seasons or chunks of episodes I can skip? I've heard the show is very hit or miss across most of the seasons. It kind of sounds to me like maybe it went on a bit too long.

Seasons 1-4 are A+ scripted television. Seasons 5-6 take a clear step back, but are still quality. By 7-8, and especially 8, the audience literally abandoned the show. It's your call. My guess is you'll want to watch the entire thing, but you'll feel the noticeable drop-off after the end of season four.

This show was my shit for so long. I binged the fuck out of it. I wasn't a fan of the season with Julia Stiles, but the seasons prior to that were amazing. Lithgow - amazing. Crazy black-haired chick - amazing.

I couldn't watch the last season and didn't. I have no idea how the show ends, it lost me prior to the last season; you could see how rapid the decline was.

Seasons 1-4 are A+ scripted television. Seasons 5-6 take a clear step back, but are still quality. By 7-8, and especially 8, the audience literally abandoned the show. It's your call. My guess is you'll want to watch the entire thing, but you'll feel the noticeable drop-off after the end of season four.

OK. I'll probably definitely be watching it anyway. I still need to finish The Sopranos and The Wire first before I start another big binge. By the time I finish it, I'll be ready for the brief revival. lol

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Oh god! LOL That would take forever using the old method to get through shows. Actually I still use the DVD service through Netflix, but only for movies or miniseries. Long running TV series I just stream. With the DVD service, I get three movies at a time which was awesome for getting through my movie backlog and just keeping up with current releases if I don't stream them first on Hulu or something.

• Phil changed the title to Dexter: New Blood
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...