Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 147

Thread: New York Post Story Makes Unconfirmed Claims Regarding Biden, Burisma

  1. #41
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,304
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    We both know that is absolutely not true, yet you made the claim.
    This sentence is incomplete. Can we try again for a full sentence explaining your point? I just showed you where RCP sits in relation to Rueters (and AP, and AL Jazeera).

    So what are you saying? That RCP isn't right wing? Because I kind of have a reliable source that says it is.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    527
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This sentence is incomplete. Can we try again for a full sentence explaining your point? I just showed you where RCP sits in relation to Rueters (and AP, and AL Jazeera).

    So what are you saying? That RCP isn't right wing? Because I kind of have a reliable source that says it is.
    Maybe if you want to talk about bias in the media you should start your own thread? I find that RCP presents both sides from all the different sources.

  3. #43
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,304
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    Maybe if you want to talk about bias in the media you should start your own thread? I find that RCP presents both sides from all the different sources.
    Well, the Hunter Biden story is all about the media. It's certainly not about facts. Those have all been refuted. But you just dismiss post #6 out of hand because you feel like it.

    Can you point to the RCP articles that are showing the Biden story not going away or gaining steam?

  4. #44
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,901
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    Who cares??????????? Seriously??? The son of the VP at the time that is also currently running for President? Was being paid millions by interests in Ukraine and China? For what? You don’t care because he is not running? That is absurd no matter how many times you repeat it.
    No, I don't care. Hunter Biden isn't on the ticket, and will not be a part of a Biden White House. The money is quite easily explained - he owned a venture capital firm focusing almost exclusively on state-owned enterprises in joint venture with a rather large Chinese firm. In Ukraine, Burisma was owned (pre-Biden involvement) by the minister of natural resources (aka, it's a state energy firm). That...actually checks out.

    Joe Biden has no evidence (remember, his schedule is public) of the alleged meeting, and again, these are cooked up allegations.

    So, no, I don't really care if Hunter Biden avows or disavows them, because he's not on the ticket in any way, the allegations are about as bogus as they come, and both of those facts should be enough to substantiate a ahem, what was it, "absurd no matter how many times I repeat it" statement.

    It does, however, sound like you have a problem with a family member of a presidential candidate or government official allegedly leveraging their position for personal benefit and think that's worth investigating, regardless of how flimsy the evidence. In which case, I've got some potentially bubble-shattering news for you about the Trump family. The significantly more worrying thing, to me, is that Trump and his folk seem to be willing to do literally anything to smear a political opponent, including buying into and spreading information contradictory to their own intelligence positions, simply because they think it can benefit them.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  5. #45
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    527
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    No, I don't care. Hunter Biden isn't on the ticket, and will not be a part of a Biden White House. The money is quite easily explained - he owned a venture capital firm focusing almost exclusively on state-owned enterprises in joint venture with a rather large Chinese firm. In Ukraine, Burisma was owned (pre-Biden involvement) by the minister of natural resources (aka, it's a state energy firm). That...actually checks out.

    Joe Biden has no evidence (remember, his schedule is public) of the alleged meeting, and again, these are cooked up allegations.

    So, no, I don't really care if Hunter Biden avows or disavows them, because he's not on the ticket in any way, the allegations are about as bogus as they come, and both of those facts should be enough to substantiate a ahem, what was it, "absurd no matter how many times I repeat it" statement.

    It does, however, sound like you have a problem with a family member of a presidential candidate or government official allegedly leveraging their position for personal benefit and think that's worth investigating, regardless of how flimsy the evidence. In which case, I've got some potentially bubble-shattering news for you about the Trump family. The significantly more worrying thing, to me, is that Trump and his folk seem to be willing to do literally anything to smear a political opponent, including buying into and spreading information contradictory to their own intelligence positions, simply because they think it can benefit them.
    You might have missed it, but Biden came out and said he might have had an informal meeting.

    I can’t imagine the outrage if one of the Trump kids was a ‘venture capitalist’ dealing with state owned firms in China and Ukraine. Especially when these emails seem to indicate he was selling access to “the big guy”.

    Enough from me on the subject. We can see where it lands and look at the developments through our partisan lenses.

  6. #46
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,901
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    You might have missed it, but Biden came out and said he might have had an informal meeting.
    Yes, because the person in question was a member of a large delegation from the Ukraine that spoke to the US government in 2014. Regardless, as was cited earlier, and seeing as you appear completely and entirely unwilling to engage in the post I keep citing, it's already been confirmed that the images provided are fabricated.

    I can’t imagine the outrage if one of the Trump kids was a ‘venture capitalist’ dealing with state owned firms in China and Ukraine. Especially when these emails seem to indicate he was selling access to “the big guy”.
    I can't imagine either. I would hope that currying political favor by doing favors for a president's child would be very heavily scrutinized. I'd imagine there'd be outrage if, a foreign power, let's say Russia, thought they could use a compromising position or sheer money to buy access to the US Government.

    Enough from me on the subject. We can see where it lands and look at the developments through our partisan lenses.
    It's so convenient to dismiss facts as a partisan lens when they don't agree with your worldview. When we're citing sources with almost no skew - your AP, your Forbes, your BusinessInsider - and your best response is "well, we agree to disagree because we're both partisan", it's a bullshit cop-out designed to shield your emotions from the weight of accepting a lie you were told.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  7. #47
    I feel sorry for the earth's population BSBH Prospect
    AmericanJesus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,881
    Rep Power
    395
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    You might have missed it, but Biden came out and said he might have had an informal meeting.

    I can’t imagine the outrage if one of the Trump kids was a ‘venture capitalist’ dealing with state owned firms in China and Ukraine. Especially when these emails seem to indicate he was selling access to “the big guy”.

    Enough from me on the subject. We can see where it lands and look at the developments through our partisan lenses.
    I'll respect your decision to see where this comes down and not talk to the legitimacy of this. I did want to address one point you made earlier. Why wouldn't Hunter/Joe Biden dispute the claim?

    I would imagine they are following sound council on that. If they answer, that becomes news. And the press will and should cover it. And that will have everyone talking about this story more. It feeds it oxygen. If the Biden campaign feels this is state craft trying to influence the election, the worst thing they could do is engage.

    Let Trump bring it up, call him a liar and laugh when the opportunity presents itself. Other than that, my party line would be, "The Russians want you to ask that question to interfere in our election. I won't feed that narrative nor should you if you love America."
    Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. George Carlin

  8. #48
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    527
    Rep Power
    24
    FBI has confirmed that they have the laptop and it is not part of any Russian disinformation campaign. The FBI.

    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...r-biden-laptop
    Last edited by tphilly5; 10-20-2020 at 08:22 PM.

  9. #49
    The prince that was promised BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    91,215
    Rep Power
    573
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    FBI has confirmed that they have the laptop and it is not part of any Russian disinformation campaign. The FBI.
    Please source this.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  10. #50
    Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,068
    Rep Power
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    FBI has confirmed that they have the laptop and it is not part of any Russian disinformation campaign. The FBI.
    They are literally investigating as to whether or not it is part of a foreign influence campaign.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...reign-n1243620

    Federal investigators are examining whether emails allegedly describing activities by Joe Biden and his son Hunter and found on a laptop at a Delaware repair shop are linked to a foreign intelligence operation, two people familiar with the matter told NBC News.

    The FBI seized the laptop and a hard drive through a grand jury subpoena. The subpoena was later published by the New York Post. The bureau has declined to comment.
    https://apnews.com/article/election-...286dd134876f8a

    The FBI is investigating whether the emails are tied to a foreign influence operation, according to a person who was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation and spoke on condition of anonymity to AP. The exact scope of what was being investigated was not clear.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ni/3661895001/

    When the New York Post published the alleged contents of a computer hard drive purporting to document the Ukrainian and Chinese business activities of Hunter Biden, the newspaper cast the information as a "smoking gun."

    Enter the FBI.

    Less than three weeks before one of the most contentious presidential campaigns in history, federal authorities are investigating whether the material supplied to the Post by Rudy Giuliani, President Donald Trump's personal lawyer, is part of a smoke bomb of disinformation pushed by Russia.
    I would say it's exhausting having to disprove your constant barrage of unsourced or loosely sourced bullshit, but it took me 5 minutes from the time I typed "fbi hunter laptop" into Google to get to actual journalism.

    --

    No one should give a fuck about Hunter Biden. This absurd line of attack is getting even Republicans pissed off:

    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-hes-ever-seen

    Prominent Republican pollster Frank Luntz blasted President Trump and his campaign on Tuesday for focusing on Hunter Biden in the stretch run to Election Day, calling Trump’s campaign the worst he’s ever seen and saying the president’s advisers should be “brought up on charges of political malpractice.”

    Speaking at a briefing for the British strategic advising company Global Counsel, Luntz said Trump’s advisers have “their heads up their asses” if they think Hunter Biden will be a winning issue for them.

    “I’ve never seen a campaign more mis-calibrated than the Trump campaign. Frankly, his staff ought to be brought up on charges of political malpractice,” Luntz said.

    “It is the worst campaign I’ve ever seen and I’ve been watching them since 1980. They’re on the wrong issues. They’re on the wrong message. They’ve got their heads up their assess. … Your damn job is to get your candidate to talk about things that are relevant to the people you need to reach. And if you can’t do your damn job then get out.”


    ...

    “Nobody cares about Hunter Biden … why is [Trump] spending all his time on him?” Luntz asked. “Hunter Biden does not help put food on the table. Hunter Biden does not help anyone get a job. Hunter Biden does not provide health care or solve COVID. And Donald Trump spends all of his time focused on that and nobody cares.”

  11. #51
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    527
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    They are literally investigating as to whether or not it is part of a foreign influence campaign.

    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/nat...reign-n1243620



    https://apnews.com/article/election-...286dd134876f8a



    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ni/3661895001/



    I would say it's exhausting having to disprove your constant barrage of unsourced or loosely sourced bullshit, but it took me 5 minutes from the time I typed "fbi hunter laptop" into Google to get to actual journalism.

    --

    No one should give a fuck about Hunter Biden. This absurd line of attack is getting even Republicans pissed off:

    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...-hes-ever-seen
    Your links are from last week when the media was in damage control mode. For the FBI to say they have the laptop and it was not part of any Russian disinformation kind of makes all those claims false.

  12. #52
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,304
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    Your links are from last week when the media was in damage control mode. For the FBI to say they have the laptop and it was not part of any Russian disinformation kind of makes all those claims false.
    Did you even read the link you posted? There's no information at all in it. It's a claim with no backup. It just says check back later.

  13. #53
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    527
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Did you even read the link you posted? There's no information at all in it. It's a claim with no backup. It just says check back later.
    That is how breaking news usually works. Starting to get more info.

    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...r-biden-laptop

  14. #54
    Windmill Cancer Survivor, Super-Duper Missile CDR Bantam Division
    jsrangers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Seaside Park NJ
    Posts
    2,347
    Rep Power
    64

  15. #55
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,901
    Rep Power
    339
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    Your links are from last week when the media was in damage control mode. For the FBI to say they have the laptop and it was not part of any Russian disinformation kind of makes all those claims false.
    Yeah....the FBI didn't say that. John Ratcliffe did.

    John Ratcliffe is not a member of the FBI. His agency has a small national security related oversight element to the FBI - to which the FBI is accountable - but...that's about it. This isn't Christopher Wray (who actually is the head of the FBI). This isn't David Bowdich. This isn't confirmed by an actual press outlet. What is confirmed is directly against what Ratcliffe is saying, but of course, he wouldn't actually know, because....he's not the guy you need to hear it from. Further, John Ratcliffe has no background in intelligence. At all. He wasn't in the military. He didn't serve in the FBI, or the CIA, or the NSA, or the DHS. He was appointed to an "east Texas National Security" post under Bush, but he apparently didn't actually prosecute a national security case. He just rounded up immigrants. He's in this role for, well...he's a Trump sycophant who loudly criticized doing any investigation into the interference in the 2016 election. That's about it. Is he qualified to make a call here without the input of the FBI or the CIA? Nope.

    Seeing as Ratcliffe has already shown a penchant for wanton disregard for the truth so long as it benefits Trump, and seeing as the FBI seizing the laptop in question (from our legally blind known Qanon-adjacent laptop repairman in Delaware, who thought the laptop might be Hunter's because of the Beau Biden Foundation sticker, even though Hunter Biden lives in Los Angeles, who also has no security footage of the interaction and merely thinks that the person who dropped it off was kinda sorta maybe Hunter Biden) was already well established in Morphinity's articles, what's new here, and again, why should we care about Hunter Biden?
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  16. #56
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,304
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    That is how breaking news usually works. Starting to get more info.

    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...r-biden-laptop
    Cool. There's literally no breaking news in this link either.

    There's another unsubstantiated claim.

    Man, for someone who's constantly complaining about bias and media, you sure do post a lot of Fox News articles.

  17. #57
    ContraQuinndicated BSBH Prospect
    G1000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    19,901
    Rep Power
    339
    Seriously, when was the last time Fox News actually broke a story that wasn't complete partisan garbage?

    Hell, they turned this story down because they straight up did not think it was credible. Yet another giant, colossal, humongous red flag - the story was literally shopped to multiple news sources and the most overtly pro-Trump outlet wouldn't run it because even they thought it was bullshit.
    Hidden Content
    Blueshirts Brotherhood. We do what we must because we can - for the good of all Rangerkind

  18. #58
    Name a more iconic duo BSBH Rookie
    Morphinity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,068
    Rep Power
    451
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    That is how breaking news usually works. Starting to get more info.

    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/sou...r-biden-laptop
    Right, so Fox News, noted unreliable source of information, is what you're going to hang your hat on here.

    I'll take the field vs. Fox News on this one.

  19. #59
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division
    tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    527
    Rep Power
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by G1000 View Post
    Yeah....the FBI didn't say that. John Ratcliffe did.

    John Ratcliffe is not a member of the FBI. His agency has a small national security related oversight element to the FBI - to which the FBI is accountable - but...that's about it. This isn't Christopher Wray (who actually is the head of the FBI). This isn't David Bowdich. This isn't confirmed by an actual press outlet. What is confirmed is directly against what Ratcliffe is saying, but of course, he wouldn't actually know, because....he's not the guy you need to hear it from. Further, John Ratcliffe has no background in intelligence. At all. He wasn't in the military. He didn't serve in the FBI, or the CIA, or the NSA, or the DHS. He was appointed to an "east Texas National Security" post under Bush, but he apparently didn't actually prosecute a national security case. He just rounded up immigrants. He's in this role for, well...he's a Trump sycophant who loudly criticized doing any investigation into the interference in the 2016 election. That's about it. Is he qualified to make a call here without the input of the FBI or the CIA? Nope.

    Seeing as Ratcliffe has already shown a penchant for wanton disregard for the truth so long as it benefits Trump, and seeing as the FBI seizing the laptop in question (from our legally blind known Qanon-adjacent laptop repairman in Delaware, who thought the laptop might be Hunter's because of the Beau Biden Foundation sticker, even though Hunter Biden lives in Los Angeles, who also has no security footage of the interaction and merely thinks that the person who dropped it off was kinda sorta maybe Hunter Biden) was already well established in Morphinity's articles, what's new here, and again, why should we care about Hunter Biden?

    Ratcliffe was yesterday. FBI agreed with him today.

    There is a reason why nobody from the Biden camp has claimed they are not authentic.

  20. #60
    HNIC BSBH Legend
    Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    82,304
    Rep Power
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by tphilly5 View Post
    Ratcliffe was yesterday. FBI agreed with him today.

    There is a reason why nobody from the Biden camp has claimed they are not authentic.
    Yes, for the same reason people don't feel the need to claim that the Easter Bunny and tooth fairy aren't authentic.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •