• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

TOR Sign Joe Thornton to 1-Year Deal; $700K AAV

Phil

2. Hearing several core Maple Leafs have personally pitched Joe Thornton on going to Toronto. The courtship is on and the interest is real. But one thing I’ve always been told about the future Hall of Famer: do not underestimate his loyalty to San Jose.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/31-thoughts-inside-tough-tense-early-days-nhl-free-agency/

I would have thought the re-up of Marleau to SJ would have made Thornton take one more kick of the can and if its not working out there, trade to Toronto at deadline if possible but who knows. Toronto would rather get him for nothing I guess.

I can't tell if the Leaf signings are good or if they're just signing washed up guys to try to replicate what Dallas did.

Now they have Spezza and Thornton. Two guys at center who can't really play anymore.

And Simmonds...

It's even like the guys they've signed are proven winners. If anything, Thornton is just another choke artist.

• 2 months later...
Update: Keefe revealed these will be the Leafs working lines at the start of training camp on Monday:

Thornton – Matthews – Marner

Vesey – Tavares – Nylander

Mikheyev – Kerfoot – Hyman

Simmonds – Spezza – Barabanov

The biggest surprise there being Thornton on the wing on the first line. More analysis on this to come.

https://theathletic.com/2298629/2021/01/03/mirtle-leafs-training-camp-roster/