• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Floats Opening Next Season Outdoors at Lake Louise

Phil

lake_louise_hockey.jpg

With the off-season in full swing after the two-day draft and Friday?s opening of free agency, the league is already turning its attention to next season, with a tentative start date of Jan. 1.

According to an industry source who requested anonymity in order to speak freely, Alberta?s Lake Louise ? with its famous Rocky Mountain backdrop ? has been discussed internally as a possible location for opening day.

The discussions are in the preliminary stage and the Lake Louise outdoor game scenario, while postcard beautiful, would face several hurdles, starting with the state of the COVID-19 pandemic when play resumes. It?s also a popular destination even in troubled times, which could make booking hotels in the area around Christmastime a challenge.

The league ? which has staged outdoor games on New Year?s Day since 2008 ? is going full throttle to prepare for a potential New Year?s Day launch, canvassing teams on COVID protocols, the possibility of limited live crowds in certain cities, and the availability of hotel rooms close to arenas.

It?s believed that several schedule options have been presented to the NHL Players? Association for discussion: 48 games, 60 games and a full 82-game slate.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2020/10/09/nhl-floats-opening-next-season-outdoors-at-lake-louise.html

Once in a while the Wild has practiced on our ponds here in Minnesota, and I've always thought that an NHL game on natural ice would be cool. Minneapolis doesn't do very well when it comes to containing riots, but the Park's Dept. excels in grooming natural ice on the parks. We have the "World Pond Hockey" championships here every year.

• 2 weeks later...
I heard a rumor that there is a small town up in Alaska that could clear an NHL sized ice surface from one of their lakes. Rumor has it hockey is so entrenched in their blood that their town could put together a squad that could compete with an NHL team, such as the Rangers. I can't find the name of the town though, its quite the mystery...
  • Like 1

I heard a rumor that there is a small town up in Alaska that could clear an NHL sized ice surface from one of their lakes. Rumor has it hockey is so entrenched in their blood that their town could put together a squad that could compete with an NHL team, such as the Rangers. I can't find the name of the town though, its quite the mystery...

That's a great storyline for a movie!

Seriously. I just watched Gladiator a few nights ago, I bet Russell Crowe can play some puck.

If it's a movie about hockey or road rage, it's Russell Crowe every time!

I own that movie and in the early and mid 2000's I watched it all the time. Yeah, it's pretty cheesy, but it's still a good watch and I love the whole Alaskan atmosphere and the classic feel of the rink and uniforms. It has a lot of charm to it, at least for me, anyway.