• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux, and Strome File for Salary Arbitration

Drew a Penalty

C'mon. This isn't a selling feature lol.

And any 3/4th line scrub can slot up and down the lineup if you ask them to. HE SCORED 29 POINTS WITH PANARIN.

Is he an average hockey player? Sure.

Is he replaceable? 100%

To you maybe not but he got the A for a reason and I bet he was very well respected in the locker room. That part is much harder to replace and again, we are talking about 2 million for the ages of 28-31. That’s a bargain for an A that has never said boo, can slot up and down in the lineup, and does a lot of the work many others just don’t.

Tell ya what. If he brought so little then why did a division rival and team at a point of competing sign him when they don’t exactly have tons of cap space either?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point is, he's not good enough for half the fanbase to be crying about.

It’s not crying though. It’s the offseason. This is what guys do. Discuss moves that help or hinder our future. Boring place if we all agree lol

I think Strome is in trouble of being let go. Rangers might not have the cash for ADA and Strome and seeing as Strome comes after ADA, that could be bad news.

Personally, I think ADA and Strome are both headed to arbitration.

Agreed. Him being last really makes you think it’s even less likely to keep him. By that point they could potentially not even have enough money for him at all if they retain ADA. Or thry walk from ADA since hrs first if it’s too rich.

At this point, they should re-sign DeAngelo to a 4-5 year deal now at a fairly reasonable price (6M?) then move him to the left side and play him 20-23 minutes a night with Trouba. I think he needs another good year to show the league he is for real, and that would have a huge impact on his trade value...or he may be so good the Rangers won't want to trade him. In which case they will have him locked up for a decent term already.

Of course, the risk is he regresses, but I just don't see it happening. He's too talented and offensively gifted.

https://amp.lohud.com/amp/3650372001?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&__twitter_impression=true

Following last week's NHL Draft, Gorton told reporters they were having internal discussions "about our right side and who is the best person to move over (to the left)."

He specifically mentioned DeAngelo and fellow right-handed defenseman Adam Fox as possibilities, with DeAngelo telling the USA TODAY Network on Tuesday that he's all for it if the Rangers believe it's in their best interest.

"I don't care who I play with, or which side I play," he said. "I just want to have the best team possible."

"It's just repetition," he said. "Once you get the repetition back, this is the NHL. It's not a weak league, so I feel like anybody should be able to move side to side. … Look at Toronto. They just signed (lefty) T.J. Brodie to play the right side. It happens everywhere."

Team player Tony DeAngelo. Keep him!

At this point, they should re-sign DeAngelo to a 4-5 year deal now at a fairly reasonable price (6M?) then move him to the left side and play him 20-23 minutes a night with Trouba. I think he needs another good year to show the league he is for real, and that would have a huge impact on his trade value...or he may be so good the Rangers won't want to trade him. In which case they will have him locked up for a decent term already.

Of course, the risk is he regresses, but I just don't see it happening. He's too talented and offensively gifted.

Yeah, I don't see him regressing. As the team gets better and his role becomes more established, he'll only get better. But the issue is what is his role? Adam Fox should be playing the #1 PP and Trouba is already signed and more than capable of playing on the #2 PP. So DeAngelo is redundant.

If Fox wasn't such an animal, DeAngelo would be the PPQB of the future. But he's not. So what's his role if it's not on the PP and is he worth 6m dollars if he's not scoring 50 points? I say no.

Yeah, I don't see him regressing. As the team gets better and his role becomes more established, he'll only get better. But the issue is what is his role? Adam Fox should be playing the #1 PP and Trouba is already signed and more than capable of playing on the #2 PP. So DeAngelo is redundant.

If Fox wasn't such an animal, DeAngelo would be the PPQB of the future. But he's not. So what's his role if it's not on the PP and is he worth 6m dollars if he's not scoring 50 points? I say no.

But he'll be worth the $6M to another team, and having term would only increase the value more. A good value contract is good news either way if DeAngelo is open to it.

Another repeat season and he won't come in at the lower number anymore, which also impacts trade value. The Rangers should assume a little bit of risk for a bigger reward. I think the reward outweighs the risk here.

Thing is, does he want that? The timing couldn't be worse to sign a long-term deal right now.

Management might be able to reach agreements with Lemieux and Georgiev prior to scheduled hearings, but it seems a stretch that DeAngelo or Strome would settle when the arbitration award is all but certain to exceed a negotiated number.

DeAngelo (15-38-53) was tied for third in scoring by defensemen last year. The only defenseman in the NHL to record as many goals and points were Norris winner Roman Josi and runner-up John Carlson. The only defensemen to have scored as many goals were Zach Werenski, Josi, Alex Pietrangelo, Carlson, Shea Weber and Kris Letang. That is a Who?s Who list of elite offensive blue liners.

And while management will augment its case by pointing out deficiencies in coverage and play away from the puck, DeAngelo was a plus-14 playing five-on-five, on for 56 goals for and 42 against, per naturalhattrick.com.

So, what; $5 million, maybe, give-or-take? The Rangers presumably budgeted at least that much in their payroll projections.

The Rangers should be able to negotiate two-year contracts with Georgiev and Lemieux, the latter of whose primary stats (6-12-18) aren?t going to especially impress an arbiter. Say around $2 million per for the goalie and between $1.4M and $1.8M for the winger?

And, of course, then will come Strome, who did not receive his Qualifying Offer until hours before the deadline and resisted management?s attempts to sign him for a number lower than his expected arbitration award.

Strome is coming off a career year in which he recorded 59 points (18-41) as Panarin?s center, and finished 18th among NHL pivots in assists per game and 25th in points per game. Yes, management will cite deficiencies away from the puck and at the dots, but the offensive numbers will probably carry more weight in a hearing.

Again, you probably have to figure an award that?s going to be at least $4.5 million and perhaps up to the low $5?s.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/14/rangers-cap-crunch-meets-tony-deangelo-ryan-strome-arbitration/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

I cs. Say it until I'm blue in the face. You have to make a trade for a guy with a friendly cap hit, like a Kerfoot, even if it needs to add a high pick because we cannot commit big dollars to a Strome if you really believe in the younger guys in this lineup like a Chytil to eventually be the 2c. Also, if we are this bad cap wise with bonuses and we believe in Shesh, then cap space shouldn't be "wasted" on Georgiev if it's 3m or so. U signed Kinkaid for two years. He will have to backup. Lemieux is inconsequential money wise so he will stay. ADA is the wild card. I'd really hate to lose that guy and some of his recent quotes makes me think he might be the most approachable to take a tad bit less when u read comments of wanting "the best team possible"

Why would anybody assume Fox is a better PP1 choice than Deangelo?

He's not. ADA is the more dynamic of the two. Just that Fox is more reliable to remain out there when the pp finishes I guess. I odnt know. I like ADA. I'm so surprised he ismt really a fan favorite. Fights, offense, outspoken. He's like Avery sort of just with actual talent.

He's not. ADA is the more dynamic of the two. Just that Fox is more reliable to remain out there when the pp finishes I guess. I odnt know. I like ADA. I'm so surprised he ismt really a fan favorite. Fights, offense, outspoken. He's like Avery sort of just with actual talent.

Obviously politics plays a role in it. His outspoken Trump support is ultimately why he isn't a fan favorite. That's not to say he isn't liked as a player by those who despise Trump, but a player has to appeal to the majority fan base as a person and not just as a player. Given that the majority fan base in NYC is heavy blue, vocal Trump support is not going to do him any favors in that respect.

Obviously politics plays a role in it. His outspoken Trump support is ultimately why he isn't a fan favorite. That's not to say he isn't liked as a player by those who despise Trump, but a player has to appeal to the majority fan base as a person and not just as a player. Given that the majority fan base in NYC is heavy blue, vocal Trump support is not going to do him any favors in that respect.

Eh. I don't think that matters. I don't think he's a fan favorite because he's really only had one good year here and it was cut short by COVID. He's only scored a couple big goals. He hasn't played in any big games. That's kinda the deal with the whole team frankly. No one has done anything yet.

I hate Trump but I'm not on twitter so I don't see ADA's comments. It doesn't bother me that he's political. I actually like that he's a dick.

But he hasn't done enough for me to say he's my favorite player. I barely know him as a Ranger. I'd like him to stick around but he has no history for me to be that invested.

• Like 1

Yeah i have to agree with Thirty on this one. I'm not so sure it's Trump related at all. I doubt as many people care about that as you think. I've never heard one person mention it to be honest. It's more just because it's one season of this plus being overshadowed by the likes of Panarin and Ziby

Yeah i have to agree with Thirty on this one. I'm not so sure it's Trump related at all. I doubt as many people care about that as you think. I've never heard one person mention it to be honest. It's more just because it's one season of this plus being overshadowed by the likes of Panarin and Ziby

Who would you expect to mention it? You mean friends who are also fans? Or do you mean Gorton/JD/Micheletti/Rosen/etc.?

It's not a topic that I would expect the guys affiliated with the Rangers to talk about, unless explicitly asked and they would just give a canned response, but I think you and Thirty might be underestimating the polarity of the current climate and how it affects viewpoints on players outside of the sport. Even an athlete as prominent and giving as Drew Brees got crucified for being vocal about the Anthem kneeling. Like I said, there's a difference between simply liking a player versus lifting him up as a fan favorite and being adored.

What a dick. Get rid of him.

I really wish they tried this during the season, prior to Tony getting a bump in pay. The exact situation they should have avoided is paying Tony, putting him on the left, and he goes back to being a defensive detriment with no offensive numbers

Eh. I don't think that matters. I don't think he's a fan favorite because he's really only had one good year here and it was cut short by COVID. He's only scored a couple big goals. He hasn't played in any big games. That's kinda the deal with the whole team frankly. No one has done anything yet.

I hate Trump but I'm not on twitter so I don't see ADA's comments. It doesn't bother me that he's political. I actually like that he's a dick.

But he hasn't done enough for me to say he's my favorite player. I barely know him as a Ranger. I'd like him to stick around but he has no history for me to be that invested.

oh 100% politics. People cant function if someone has a different opinion these days. And you must also hate, with a passion, anyone that doesnt have your same opinions.

Remember, it was 2 seasons ago he was fighting dudes getting the fans pumped up. Then he put up the big numbers.

What a dick. Get rid of him.

I really wish they tried this during the season, prior to Tony getting a bump in pay. The exact situation they should have avoided is paying Tony, putting him on the left, and he goes back to being a defensive detriment with no offensive numbers

Because he switched sides? I don't believe in that.

His points will go down when Fox is on the PP instead of him.