• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux, and Strome File for Salary Arbitration

Drew a Penalty

Likely one, regardless of whether or not he goes to the hearing or not. Anything beyond that is eating UFA years, so I can't see Strome accepting it. The only way they go two years is if it goes to arbitration and he's awarded whatever the value is and the Rangers opt for an extra year.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likely one, regardless of whether or not he goes to the hearing or not. Anything beyond that is eating UFA years, so I can't see Strome accepting it. The only way they go two years is if it goes to arbitration and he's awarded whatever the value is and the Rangers opt for an extra year.

One year is cool, especially next season; It's going to be another "Covid Cup" short season, and I don't see this Ranger team making a whole lot of noise, other than watching the kids mature. I'm actually looking forward to seeing that more than anything. Our years are not too far away, but they'll get there.

I wouldn't mind them giving Strome 2 years at that number...but then again, after all that dead cap space, and a few other contracts are done after next season, I think the shopping list for 2022 can include just about anyone we'd wanna sign that's available.

The ony way Strome takes 2 is is he wants some financial / location security during the pandemic.

Strome doesn't have a choice (if it goes to arb). As I understand it, the team have the option to offer a one- or two-year award.

The Rangers? $3.6 million arbitration bid on Ryan Strome suggests that the team would have no issue with the 27-year-old centerman taking his talents elsewhere if Thursday?s scheduled hearing does indeed take place and the Blueshirts walk away from an award they believe is too rich for their blood.

So for this one, in which both bids seem extreme, the award is likely to come in at the $4.5-to-$5.1 million range. If the award is in excess of $4,538,958, the Rangers could walk away from Strome, who was the team?s third-leading scorer behind Panarin and Mika Zibanejad.

No. 16 would then have four days to shop the free-agent market with the fail-safe ability to accept the Blueshirts? $3.6 million bid if unable to secure a better deal. Cap space is at a premium around the NHL, but it still seems probable that some team would be willing to pay in the $4 million-bargain range for a second-line center who was 25th in the league in points-per-game (0.84) for a pivot.

But it is also quite possible that management and Strome?s representatives from Newport Sports will attempt to negotiate until the hearing is set to begin. The Post has learned that the parties have had discussions about a two-year deal, though the numbers are unknown.

The club?s willingness to offer two years seems contradictory to the low arbitration bid, for one implies the Rangers want him and the other, not so much. It?s as if they are pushing Strome out the door with one hand while using the other to try and reel him in. Again, though, the dollar amount attached to the two-year offer is unknown.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/03/rangers-arbitration-bid-on-ryan-strome-is-very-telling/

Larry is acting like he's never seen arbitration before. Teams always low ball, especially teams in cap trouble.

The arbitrator also almost always rules down the middle, so Strome did them a favor by not asking for 6.5.

This. Are the Rangers supposed to propose a price that’ll make the arbitrators decision higher if he splits the difference? Arbitration is a pretty insulting process for the player. It’s the equivalent of walking into a dealership and low balling the salesman knowing it won’t be accepted.

Strome/NYR settle before hearing let Friedman

Waiting on number.

2x4.5

Will post link shortly

Per below

Ain't even mad. That's good. Easily the most important decision happening today.

Plenty of space. After signing Lemieux, they will probably have around $2.25M left with his projected roster. They need a 7th defenseman, of which they could have a Bitetto or Hajek taking up less than a million, or they could send down DiGiuseppe and call up Bitetto, use that $2.25 to sign a better bottom 6 forward. Or if they want to bring Kravtsov in they will have room to cover the bonus overage there now.