• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

DeAngelo, Georgiev, Lemieux, and Strome File for Salary Arbitration

Drew a Penalty

Strome at 5 would be a bargain as far as I'm concerned. I'd prefer a 1 year deal though just so we can get to next summer and reassess the situation.

I bet the Rangers might be trying to get 2 years so they have some kind of cap predictability and safety net at C next offseason without feeling pressured to overspend on a C. This is assuming that Chytil isn't panning out as hoped down the middle. Maybe he's a wing like others have suggested, for example, which leaves the Rangers really weak down the middle without Strome.

Gorton likes to deal from a position where there isn't pressure to have to make a deal, though he might want to.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the Rangers, who are just over a week away from scheduled arbitration hearings with Brendan Lemieux and Ryan Strome:

1. Little in the negotiating dynamic with either forward has changed since the pair was qualified. This means it is more likely than not that the team will have its first hearing since 2009, when the Blueshirts walked away from Nikolay Zherdev?s slightly crazy award.

2. Walkaways in 2020 can only be exercised on players awarded in excess of $4,538,958, so that won?t be a concern for Lemieux, who is coming off a one-year contract worth $925,000 after recording 18 points (6-12) in 59 games.

The 24-year-old winger is one of the select Rangers to play with a hardscrabble mentality, but his statistics (beyond the esoteric figure of penalties drawn/taken) don?t necessarily translate well to arbitration, which is a color-by-numbers exercise.

I would envision Lemieux receiving somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.75M to $2M on a two-year arbitration award, off a career in which he has 36 points (19-17) in 131 contests. Jordan Greenway, Minnesota?s 23-year-old winger who played for David Quinn at Boston University and about whom the Blueshirts have inquired more than once, recently signed a two-year deal with the Wild at $2.1M per season with a career total of 53 points (20-33) in 154 games.

3. Strome, coming off a career season at age 26 in which he recorded 59 points (18-41) in easing Artemi Panarin?s transition to Broadway, is going to have an extremely strong case in arbitration. Start at somewhere around $4.6M and go from there. It?s the ?from there? that is somewhat concerning to the Blueshirts, who do not envision No. 16 as the long-term answer in the second-line center?s slot. Indeed, there is every chance they will give Filip Chytil first crack at that assignment this season. In that case, Strome would be an insurance policy; an expensive one, too.

Depending upon his comparables, Strome could nudge into the $5.2M to $5.5M range. Since Dec. 31, 2018, Strome has 86 points (34-52) in 115 games. Over that same stretch, Strome is 32nd among NHL centers in scoring and 44th in five-on-five points by pivots, per Natural Stat Trick. He is going to get paid.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/27/rangers-brendan-lemieux-ryan-strome-facing-arbitration-hearings/

I still don't see what the issue would be giving Strome 5.2-5.5 this year if it is just for one year. It sounds like the perfect way to finally assess what they have in Chytil. I wouldn't have all that much of a problem with giving Chytil the #2 center spot out of camp but I'm not all that confident that he'll keep it. I still have trouble envisioning his game as a centerman.

It's impossible to keep track of how much money they have. If Lemieux gets 2 and Strome gets 5.5, how much money do they have left?

I believe actual money they have to spend would be current cap space ($10,879,367) - the bonus cushion penalty ($3,950,000) = $6,929,367

So in order to fit them both the arb awards would have to be more like max 1.75 for Lemieux and 4.75 for Strome.

If Lemieux had another last name with that stat line, he would be worth nothing more than 1- 1.5.

Supply and demand of those types of guys.

Hell, they couldnt replace Tanner Glass. (and havent made the playoffs since, ironically)

Lemieux the hockey player has been disappointing, IMO. But, they need guys willing to fight, hit, forecheck, block a few pucks. Teams need role players.

If Lemieux had another last name with that stat line, he would be worth nothing more than 1- 1.5.

That's a fact. There are plenty of grinders that bring way way more to the table signing for 1M or less in this market. Hell Maroon just signed for 2 years at 900k. If Lemieux is awarded 1.5 or more it's his lucky day and a shitty day for the team.

That's a fact. There are plenty of grinders that bring way way more to the table signing for 1M or less in this market. Hell Maroon just signed for 2 years at 900k. If Lemieux is awarded 1.5 or more it's his lucky day and a shitty day for the team.

This just isn't true. Take a look at the player we signed for 1m or less. It's a who's who of "who?"

EDIT: Maroon is an outlier, but it probably helps the Rangers case some.

This just isn't true. Take a look at the players we signed for 1m or less. It's a who's who of "who?"

EDIT: Maroon is an outlier, but it probably helps the Rangers case some.

I'm leaning towards we didn't do a such good job with the guys we signed. Not for nothing imo I don't think Lemieux is too far outside the who of "who" category. In fact as somebody else pointed out take away the name and there's even less value there. In the end whatever, if he's here yay. They in the end did very little if anything to address the train wreck.

My edit: if I had to start over I would drop the "or less".

I believe actual money they have to spend would be current cap space ($10,879,367) - the bonus cushion penalty ($3,950,000) = $6,929,367

So in order to fit them both the arb awards would have to be more like max 1.75 for Lemieux and 4.75 for Strome.

According to CapFriendly NYR have 14.4 mil current cap space but 10.8 actual cap space. If you crunch the numbers even further, it's closer to 10.5 mil actual cap space.

I think Lemieux would be fine if you saw a real pro 4th line center paired with him. He’s a piece of a 4th line as long as it’s an ENTIRE identifiable 4th line instead of just guys not good enough or too inexperienced for more.

I actually think the guy has game and could be more than that. If he could stop taking ill timed penalties, I think people would stop shitting on him.

I don't think he looked completely out of place when he played up in the lineup when Kreider initially got hurt. Definitely more than just a 4th liner or less. If he gets more chances he can probably pop in 10- 15 goals. Most definitely needs better linemates than the spare parts he played with.

I actually think the guy has game and could be more than that. If he could stop taking ill timed penalties, I think people would stop shitting on him.

I don't think he looked completely out of place when he played up in the lineup when Kreider initially got hurt. Definitely more than just a 4th liner or less. If he gets more chances he can probably pop in 10- 15 goals. Most definitely needs better linemates than the spare parts he played with.

I kinda agree with that. He had 6 goals in 60 and he wasn’t exactly playing with serious talent. I’m not suggesting putting them up in a lineup and expecting to be a 20 gold guy or anything close to that but I think he’s definitely a little bit better than shown. I also don’t see him being a problem on the fourth line at all if he had a good center that knows his role as a grinder.

I dunno...I like him....He's got balls, and that's something this team can use. I think Keirik is right; he wasn't exactly playing with the best around him, and he's more of a player that plays with emotion. I think if they put him with a good, experienced 4th line center, like a McTavish-like kinda guy, and a solid 2 way winger on the other side, and I think the guy comes to life in a bigger way.

I think the Rangers will use these 2 years as a "test" to see where they go and who they go with moving forward, but I think Lemieux should be a piece of the puzzle in the near future...we shall see!!!