• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Draft [D] Braden Schneider in 1st Rd. (19th) Pick

Drew a Penalty

Name: Braden Schneider

Position: D

Shoots: R

Current Team: Brandon (WHL)

Elite Prospects Profile: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/351820/braden-schneider

Current Statistics

HockeyDB.com Page: https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=202373

Team Player Page: https://wheatkings.com/players/27778

Pronman (midseason ? 20, final ? 25): ?Schneider moves the puck very well out of the defensive zone, showing great vision and patience on his outlets. He defends well due to his feet, but also doesn?t shy away from playing the body and knocking players off pucks.?

Wheeler (midseason ? 35, final ? 38): ?In his own zone, Schneider?s one of the better defensive defensemen in this draft. ? After three full seasons in the WHL, I would?ve liked to see a little more out of his puck game to rank him in the first round (where he will likely be picked), though.?

Link: https://theathletic.com/2109331/2020/10/02/devils-draft-primer-breaking-down-potential-picks-trade-options-at-nos-18-20/?article_source=search&search_query=schneider

?I?m a two-way defenceman but I take a little bit more pride in the defensive end,? Schneider said in an interview with Hockey Prospects.com. ?I like to be a presence and I like to get in guys? faces and be as physical as I can. And if there?s an opportunity or opening to jump up or try to make a shot on net for a chance, I try to jump up and take full advantage of it.?

"(Schneider is) solid on his skates and moves the puck like an NHL player, similar to Ryan Pulock," Sullivan said. "He's got very good hockey sense and decision making. He's tough to play against, and he's a player that, from a coach's perspective, you can play him in any situation."

Link: https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/prospect-interest-amirov-one-best-players-2020-draft/

He is an absolute behemoth of a dude at this level, imposing his will with thunderous hits, overpowering one-hand pushes, and crosschecks. He's composed and doesn't over-do the physicality or take needless penalties; enters every hit with his stick leading and doesn't hit unless he can't break up the play otherwise. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Sounds OK to me.

He is an absolute behemoth of a dude at this level, imposing his will with thunderous hits, overpowering one-hand pushes, and crosschecks. He's composed and doesn't over-do the physicality or take needless penalties; enters every hit with his stick leading and doesn't hit unless he can't break up the play otherwise. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide

Sounds OK to me.

That does sound nice

Wheeler:

So I didn?t love it when the Rangers moved up to take Schneider.

Which isn?t to say that Schneider isn?t a standout prospect. He is in his own way. Defensively, he?s polished without the puck on his reads, gaps, and physicality. With the puck, his skills are all just*good*though. He?ll confidently execute his first pass. He?s capable of sidestepping shot blockers to get shots through. And despite my late-30s rating, he absolutely belonged in the first-round conversation. But he?s not going to be a power play guy and I?m not sure his defensive upside is so valuable as to pass up the playmaking of a Hendrix Lapierre, the totality of Connor Zary?s offensive package, or the craftiness of a Mavrik Bourque.

Do I hate the pick? No, not really. But he wouldn?t have been my choice for a team that already has Nils Lundkvsit, Zac Jones, K?Andre Miller and Matthew Robertson as potential second-pairing options moving forward.

https://theathletic.com/2068998/2020/10/07/nhl-draft-winners-and-losers-ranking-every-teams-first-round?source=user-shared-article

##

Agree with the overall assessment in the last paragraph.

After reading about him, like the player, just not sure moving up to select him was that right move considering the forward talent still there. I know they don't have a second rounder, but did they really need a D?

I don't really care about "stealing a Devil's pick" because they did that shit with Sanguinetti and missed out on Giroux. Hope this isn't a redux.

• Like 1

Wheeler:

https://theathletic.com/2068998/2020/10/07/nhl-draft-winners-and-losers-ranking-every-teams-first-round?source=user-shared-article

##

After reading about him, like the player, just not sure moving up to select him was that right move considering the forward talent still there. I know they don't have a second rounder, but did they really need a D?

I don't really care about "stealing a Devil's pick" because they did that shit with Sanguinetti and missed out on Giroux. Hope this isn't a redux.

I agree, but you can put it the other way aswell.

Do we need more playmaking/skilled forwards when we have Panarin, Mika, Kakko, Lafreniere, Kreider, Chytil, Kravtsov?

Most defencemen need 3-4 years before they're ready for the NHL. At that point Troubs has just a couple years left, ADA can be anywhere and Lundkvist/Fox will both be done with their ELC's.

If they took Zary/Lapierre they would struggle to see top 9 minutes even 2-3 years down the line.

Another analysis of the player and pick;

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2020/10/7/21505313/braden-schneider-scouting-report-rangers-19th-overall-selection-new-york-rangers-nhl-draft-2020

Tbh he sounds like staal with a bit more of an edge. It?s not the worst thing to have a defensively sound guy on your blue line. Can?t have 6 offensive guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Wheeler:

##

Yes, this is how I feel also.

Right you are - we do need some defensive defensemen.

I love this pick. Teams are always looking for D so we'll have a ton of options to choose from and ship the rest if need be.

He's probably a few years away so we'll get a chance to see what we have in Miller, Lundkvist, and Robertson before he makes the jump.

I love this pick. Teams are always looking for D so we'll have a ton of options to choose from and ship the rest if need be.

He's probably a few years away so we'll get a chance to see what we have in Miller, Lundkvist, and Robertson before he makes the jump.

Agreed. Like I mentioned just now in the draft thread, the description of his game sounds like Michael Sauer, and the clips of him playing support that. If he's even 75% of Sauer, that's a huge win in the second half of the draft.

We can't just draft based on immediate need. The landscape of our defense will be totally different in three years when this kid is ready. By that point, we'll know who of Lundkvist, Jones, Robertson, Hajek, Miller, Rykov, etc. is legit, and several of them will likely have been moved to fill other needs.

This kid's a throwback player (as is Lafreniere for that matter) with the skills needed to succeed in today's NHL. Low risk, pretty significant reward selection.

Talked to my source, who doesn't like NY, but was in a good mood because they took his Western Canada kid in the 1st.

He said he was happy with his pick, but he really liked Schneider, and is really high on him, and had recommended his team taking him at their pick had the guy they got been off the board. That would have been a lot earlier than when the Rangers took him.

He's a Western Canada scout, so he'd naturally agitate for WC players, but is good to hear, as he typically rags me on everything the Rangers do.

One more blurb..

"I like him much more than Guhle. He is pretty talented and really tough."

Guhle was championed by the old schoolers, for whom a modicum of of skating and passing was icing on a cake of hitting and physicality. By most accounts, Schneider brings a much broader set of tools.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

“His offensive game really took a step last year,” Brandon GM Darren Ritchie said. “He’s had more confidence taking the puck up the ice. He can pass it, jump into lanes and get it back in the offensive zone. You could see that confidence growing as the season went on. His ability of making a first pass out of the zone is really strong and that’s what’s going to make him a really good pro in the NHL.”

And Schneider is pretty set on figuring out new ways to get better. He said that’s always been his biggest takeaway from his time playing with Team Canada. Schneider played seven games at the 2019 world juniors and then in the World Juniors Showcase.

“To make those teams you have to learn,” he said. “And the biggest thing I learned is that if you want to play at that level you have to change your game. Whenever I play for them I fill a role of being a guy that is super hard to play against, kills penalties and can get the puck out of the zone quickly for the guys who get the scoring done.

“It’s been unbelievable every time I’ve been at that level.”

https://theathletic.com/2105680/2020/10/06/what-the-rangers-can-expect-from-no-19-pick-braden-schneider/